Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,

I've been an iOS developer and been working with that for a while now, but today I decided to add a mac developer account to my account so I can beta test mountain lion and work some of it's features from a developer stand point. I was thinking I could install ML in VMWare Fusion as a VM, but I guess I can't at this point. So how are you all installing ML without messing with your Lion install.

This is my first time installing another Mac OS next to my Regular OS (outside of VMWare Fusion). So do I just run the install, and will it setup another partition for ML? and if so, is it kind of like bootcamp where I will have a choice of what OS I want to run at boot up?

Sorry if this seems newbieish, it is just my first time dealing with this type of install outside of VMWare.

Thanks

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
New York
Hello,

I've been an iOS developer and been working with that for a while now, but today I decided to add a mac developer account to my account so I can beta test mountain lion and work some of it's features from a developer stand point. I was thinking I could install ML in VMWare Fusion as a VM, but I guess I can't at this point. So how are you all installing ML without messing with your Lion install.

This is my first time installing another Mac OS next to my Regular OS (outside of VMWare Fusion). So do I just run the install, and will it setup another partition for ML? and if so, is it kind of like bootcamp where I will have a choice of what OS I want to run at boot up?

Sorry if this seems newbieish, it is just my first time dealing with this type of install outside of VMWare.

Thanks

I'm curious too...... When you used VMware what error message did you get?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting, I did not even think of going that route.

I may have to investigate the feasibility of ML inside vmware, though I'd prefer the full version so performance can be at its best

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I haven't tried via VM yet. I saw in another post where a user was getting all kind of errors when he tried to run ML in VM 4.

So the way you all are installing ML, are you all just over writing your main OS with the test / beta OS?

Thanks,

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks,

I took your advice, and instead just partition a small piece of my HD and put ML on it.

Pretty Nice so far. This is going to be a great summer!

RaMaz07

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2008
I plan to install it on a new partition on my 11" MacBook Air on the SSD. Back when the first lion beta was available I also made a new partition for that but it was on my origial MacBook Air on its HDD. :apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I boot from an external hard drive.
That's not a bad idea, it preserves your Lion partition but the only downside is that any apps that require installation may need to be reinstalled.

I cloned my internal drive to an external one, and I'll see if I can "upgrade" that with ML, that way I get apps and the new OS, leaving my Lion partition fairly untouched.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I upgraded my virtual Lion to 10.7.3 and got the redemption code for ML; but when I try to install it actually nothing happen; still trying ...

nick7138

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
External HDD
Doing the same thing. I partitioned my TM backup drive for a second partition. Surprisingly, it runs flawlessly and there's little, if any, lag. This is definitely my favorite way also because I could simply unplug it and plug it into one of my other macs and pick up where I left off.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks,

I took your advice, and instead just partition a small piece of my HD and put ML on it.

Pretty Nice so far. This is going to be a great summer!

How would you delete the partition when actual ML comes out? I was reading that you'd have to reformat your HD and then restore from a backup. Is this true?

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Bravely (and foolishly) upgraded over 10.7.3 on my MacBook Air 11". Filevault was enabled and on the first boot it didn't accept my password – needed instead type in the recovery key. Otherwise everything seems to work OK.

DougieB

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
When I was running the developer builds of Lion I had a partition on my external HD for the dev OS. Runs very smoothly over firewire. Simply wiped that partition and have put Mountain Lion on it now.

Surprisingly stable for the first dev preview.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My external hard drive crapped the bed, so after re-backing up my MBP (to a different drive) I just installed it directly. I'll restore the back up when I feel its time to go back to 10.7.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i downloaded the dmg then went to disk utilities to put it on my 8g usb drive to then did fresh install

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I cloned my internal drive to an external one, and I'll see if I can "upgrade" that with ML, that way I get apps and the new OS, leaving my Lion partition fairly untouched.

That's my approach, as well. I've noticed that, although it adds some bugs, it actually fixes a few as well (e.g. Office 2011 seems to "forget" it is activated when I have a Thunderbolt device activated in Lion, but works just fine in 10.8).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.