Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I have 1password on the following systems

My Mac
My Work PC
My ipod
My Android

It is, in my opinion, the best Mac app on the market and far and away the best password manager. No other app (Mac OR PC) comes even close to what this app provides(and I am including LastPass, which BTW offers a way to export your data from 1Password into Lastpass).

Melkorr

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
In a house
I looked at all whole bunch of software and narrowed it down to DataVault Password Manager and eWallet. In the end I chose eWallet and I'm very happy with it so far.

My criteria was:
1. Must have a Mac version.
2. Must have a iPhone version.
3. Must be able to Sync between the two.
4. Browser plugin to auto populate login details in firefox.

I didn't like Datavault's iPhone UI and I couldn't get the login details to populate on sites with the plugin. I spent about 5 - 10 minutes troubleshooting and couldn't be bothered any more. eWallet's browser plugin worked first time.

I looked at 1Password as lots of people on here have it. It is the best looking app but you can't customise field names or add new ones. I found this too restrictive for my needs. The developer on their forum said they will add customised field names in a future update but has no timeline when that will happen.

A nice to have would be a password generator built in to eWallet but I found http://www.codepoetry.net/products/passwordassistant. Which lets you use OS X's built in password assistant and assign it to the dock.

dbaps

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Waldorf, MD
Yubikey with Lastpass - best solution?

I've used both. I like how you can buy a yubikey from yubico. You just register it to your lastpass account with your thumb on the yubikey. So I have a masterpassword, a unique generated password for each site, and a yubikey I carry on my keychain. Two things I don't like about yubikey; one is they give you a work-around if you lose your yubikey. That sucks. Buy two yubikeys to register to your account and d0n't allow any workarounds. Two you say if you will allow lastpass to work without a yubikey on portable devices. If you say no, then lastpass will not work on Android or IOS. But it is more secure. If you say yes, then you are only using password authentication that is not dual factor on your phone. There are a couple of companies out there that make emulators for the yubikey to be used with Andorid or IOS. I haven't tested them. Finally all lastpass data is encrypted AES-256 on your computer, through the data stream to their servers, and stored on their servers. Their employees don't have the encryption key. I realize that even this isn't fullproof. I would like the option to use two yubikeys and turn off any workaround in case you lose it. Make the person buy two or it's less secure. Don't open a whole my asking some secret questions if a person lost their yubikey. You are unlikely to lose two at the same time. You lose one, you buy another one, register it under lastpass and delete the yubikey registration that you lost. My wife has a yubikey, and I have a second one.

So if 1Password uses dual factor authentication (do they?) with some type of token, then I would use it. For now the Yubikey option, though an inconvenience to turn off on IOS and Android at my discretion, is a better soltuion (IMHO). Am I wrong?

First post so go easy on me please :)

Thanks, Paul

roco1x

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I've used Ascendo Data Vault for years. Started on my Blackberry/PC now with my iPhone/MBA. Military grade encryption, easy to use, great customer support.

I have Ascendo which works well as a stand alone. However I found the tech support horrible. The PC version failed to synch with my ipad. Issues synching with Iphone.

Summary
IPAD app stand alone - good.
Tech support - horrible.
Cross platform - doesn't work.

rabsparks

macrumors member
May 30, 2010
Maryland
1Password Would My Recommendation

I've used this program for about three years, and even went through the upgrade from old G4 to a new iMac without a problem. I don't know about compatibility with Lion.

The only "con" with 1Password is that it's primarily for online passwords.

glengarry

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
I've tried 1Password, but to quote its own online description, "1Password is a web password management program.". Whilst I accept its great at that, its really deficient when you need to retain miscellaneous data such as car VIN, insurance details, passport data, etc. In fact it has no ability to add additional categories within its Vault.

So if you want a web password manager then 1Password is fine. But if you want a multi platform multi data/password manager then I use mSecure. Have done for a few years and on iPhone, Mac, Windows and now my Android phone. Its not as aesthetically (sp?) pleasing as 1Password but its more functional for sure.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
LastPass is the best. I've used it for years across windows and my mac etc.

i purchased 1password and I didn't realise it stores your passwords locally. I want my passwords everywhere I go, not just on my mac :-(

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I use 1Password on my Mac and iPad to have "Strong" passwords for all my web accounts and it makes logging on super simple.

For my other accounts, like my dozens of work related computer accounts I have mSecure on my iPhone to securely store the ones I need to occasionally look up.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Prior to coming to OS X and iOS, I used Password Plus from DataViz. When I was converting I needed something as good or better than that.

1Password is for more than online (web) passwords. I use it for CC information, passport, etc. I store software registration details, secure notes, financial institution information.

What I like best about 1Password is it is not only stored online. There are methods to put the data on a remote server like DropBox but I prefer to be old fashion and keep the data stored locally and sync to my iOS devices.

I've tried 1Password, but to quote its own online description, "1Password is a web password management program.". Whilst I accept its great at that, its really deficient when you need to retain miscellaneous data such as car VIN, insurance details, passport data, etc. In fact it has no ability to add additional categories within its Vault.

So if you want a web password manager then 1Password is fine. But if you want a multi platform multi data/password manager then I use mSecure. Have done for a few years and on iPhone, Mac, Windows and now my Android phone. Its not as aesthetically (sp?) pleasing as 1Password but its more functional for sure.

I've used this program for about three years, and even went through the upgrade from old G4 to a new iMac without a problem. I don't know about compatibility with Lion.

The only "con" with 1Password is that it's primarily for online passwords.

fkjr2

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
i have 1password on the following systems

my mac
my work pc
my ipod
my android

it is, in my opinion, the best mac app on the market and far and away the best password manager. No other app (mac or pc) comes even close to what this app provides(and i am including lastpass, which btw offers a way to export your data from 1password into lastpass).

its nice but $50 !
Ouch

A MAJOR CONCERN IS HOW SAFE IS THE WEB BROWSER FEATURE FOR LOGIN AND PASSWORDS??

Last edited:

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
its nice but $50 !
Ouch

A MAJOR CONCERN IS HOW SAFE IS THE WEB BROWSER FEATURE FOR LOGIN AND PASSWORDS??

its actually more if you include the iOS app. The web browser feature is the core feature. It is only as safe as your "One Password".

Think about it this way-your safe is only as safe as the code to open it.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
its actually more if you include the iOS app. The web browser feature is the core feature. It is only as safe as your "One Password".

Think about it this way-your safe is only as safe as the code to open it.

1password is much safer than having the same or simple to remember passwords on multiple websites, as it is often the websites themselves that store your passwords that get hacked, like the recent Foxconn incident showed. In order to get to your 1Password data they need actual access to your Agile Keychain and your '1Password'. This means they need access to the Agile Keychain on your computer or cloud storage. Hopefully as you only need to remember a single password you can choose a secure one. Also information like credit card data can be secured with additional security within the 1password database. A review on 1Password can be found here.

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I stick with 1Password - I keep the passwords complex and there's no way I can remember them all without 1Password. Plus I have the passwords on 3 Macs plus an iPhone and an iPod Touch.

mjo404

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Oregon
Wallet

Here is another alternative for Mac/iOS users:

http://www.acrylicapps.com/wallet/mac/

I find this software to be much more reasonably priced (19.99 Mac, 4.99 iOS), cleaner design, and similar functionality.

The developers have a Safari and Google Chrome plug-in, that will autofill and save passwords for websites. Dropbox integration as well, so you can sync between devices.

I've used it for 6 months now and have limited complaints.

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
1Password, works awesome.
Of course I only use it on my air.

I got lucky and got it on sale for $25. =)
It was actually free for me since I got a $30 itunes card from my bro for Christmas.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use LastPass and love it. I like it better than 1password.

Folks might want to listen to or watch the recent podcast Security Now, with Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte where they talk about the security or lack thereof of many popular password managers.

Episode: 347 iOS Password Mis-managers from April 4,2012.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I have SafeWallet and PassDirector on the Mac. 1Password is a great choice, the only thing is the dameon that runs in the background.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
SplashID Desktop anyone?

I've been using SplashID for close to a decade over several platforms including Palm, Windows and Windows Phone. When I got the iPhone, Splash ID came out for the iPhone and I was able to transfer everything over to the iPhone and then when the Mac version of the desktop came out I picked it up. I've been very happy with it.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Cool....just saw your posting. What's the reason you use password master over keychain? One thing about keychain is I found it a little cumbersome to use and I found many websites disable "autofill", so keychain can't plug in accounts and passwords. I guess this wouldn't change with password master?

I am running 10.8.3. If I had a dollar everytime Keychain failed to work I could retire in Switzerland. I would love it if they made it actually work in 10.8.4 or 10.9 but that is asking too much of the Geeks at apple

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
1Password is without doubt the best password manager out there. :)

Well, since 1Password is without doubt the best, I'll just recommend LastPass, which I've use for years. I think it's a terrific, cross platform password app.

But, since iPassword is without doubt the best (see above), LastPass might be really good!:p

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.