Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So I'm thinking of buying a Kindle Fire, but with rumors of an iPad "mini" coming out, do you think the price would be anywhere close to $250? Or should I just go with the Kindle Fire?

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I highly doubt an iPad Mini is coming out.
I would buy an iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is released if money is a concern, it's still a much better device than the Kindle Fire.

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
I highly doubt an iPad mini will be coming out. I also don't think you'll care much for Kindle Fire if you've played with an iPad 2 at all.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
So I'm thinking of buying a Kindle Fire, but with rumors of an iPad "mini" coming out, do you think the price would be anywhere close to $250? Or should I just go with the Kindle Fire?

I have Kindle I have iPad 2, definitely whait for iPad 3 and whait till iPad 2 price drops. Kindle just isn't good at all.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
If you only want to spend $200 and want the size factor of the Fire, you should be getting the Playbook. Updating to 2.0 this week which will add native email, calendar and so on, plus add the Android marketplace.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yes, I know the iPad 2 is better, but the thing is, the iPad 2 is $500. I can get a refurbished Kindle Fire for $180. And honestly, I like the 7" size better. To the above post, the Playbook is getting android market access? I did not know that, I might have to look into that. Thanks!

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
Yes, I know the iPad 2 is better, but the thing is, the iPad 2 is $500. I can get a refurbished Kindle Fire for $180. And honestly, I like the 7" size better. To the above post, the Playbook is getting android market access? I did not know that, I might have to look into that. Thanks!

I would wait for the announcement and if there is no small iPad and iPad 2 stays relatively more expensive than some other tablet you want, then the answer will be pretty simple for you.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would wait for the announcement and if there is no small iPad and iPad 2 stays relatively more expensive than some other tablet you want, then the answer will be pretty simple for you.

The other issue is that I'm leaving for a week long trip on March 2, and I'd really like to have the tablet by then.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
The other issue is that I'm leaving for a week long trip on March 2, and I'd really like to have the tablet by then.

If that's the case, then why does it matter if there will be an iPad mini for 250 bucks? Buy the fire if you need something in the next few weeks that fits your budget. Otherwise, wait for the official announcement to see if your wish is granted.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
If that's the case, then why does it matter if there will be an iPad mini for 250 bucks? Buy the fire if you need something in the next few weeks that fits your budget. Otherwise, wait for the official announcement to see if your wish is granted.

If you really can't spend more than just get a KF. But iPad has so much more to offer. Also I don't think iPad 3 will drop in price nor will there be iPad mini.

So I guess KF is best option for you.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Like everyone else...I wouldn't bank on an 8" iPad and I definitely wouldn't expect one in the $250 price range.

If $$$ is an issue and you are thinking about getting a Kindle Fire I'm going to recommend that you think about a Blackberry Playbook instead. By all accounts the new price points for it are going to be staying at $199/$249/$299 for 16GB/32GB/64GB. With OS 2.0 right around the corner (most likely at 7am EST on Tuesday) the lack of native e-mail/contacts/calendars will be a thing of the past. 2.0 will also bring the Android Marketplace into play as well.

I would go with that over a KF, but to each his own. I would definitely do some research into it before I jumped into bed with the KF.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Ask yourself this? Why did you buy an iphone 4s or a MBP instead of a cheaper alternative? The answer is more than likely you were willing to pay for the quality and experience. Nuff Said

If price is the only factor for a tablet then buy a chinese tab for $100. You get what you pay for.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ask yourself this? Why did you buy an iphone 4s or a MBP instead of a cheaper alternative? The answer is more than likely you were willing to pay for the quality and experience. Nuff Said

If price is the only factor for a tablet then buy a chinese tab for $100. You get what you pay for.

Well I bought an iPhone 4S and a Macbook Pro because these are things I use every single day and I use them both close to 24/7. If I were to buy a Tablet, it would be primarily for media consumption. It wouldn't be used nearly as much as my Mac or iPhone so it doesn't need to be anything fancy. Netflix, Hulu Plus, Kindle, etc have the same content no matter what device I view one.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011

I know the feeling, tough call. If you really want a 7" size though, get a tablet in the coming weeks, because even if Apple releases something it will be, likely, after your trip. This way at least you have what you need when you need it. Once you come back you can sell if whatever Apple releases is to your liking.

Vikinguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
If you get the fire make sure to get opera mobile. The Silk browser is a log of turd. Opera is pretty quick on the Fire...makes it very usable.

adamvk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
AHHH now I'm torn between the Kindle Fire and the Playbook. Playbook 2.0 looks awesome and the extra storage would be great, but I love the Amazon services on the Fire. Does Playbook work nicely with iTunes? That's going to be the big factor for me I think. Is there an easy way to get my iTunes music onto the Playbook?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
AHHH now I'm torn between the Kindle Fire and the Playbook. Playbook 2.0 looks awesome and the extra storage would be great, but I love the Amazon services on the Fire. Does Playbook work nicely with iTunes? That's going to be the big factor for me I think. Is there an easy way to get my iTunes music onto the Playbook?

Should be able to do that pretty seamlessly with BB Desktop Manager.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
kindle fire sucks

either get a regular kindle which does reads fine or get an iPad which does everything and better

euphrus

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
not even a slight change apple will release a smaller tablet. They are all about non-fragmentation and that would create a hurdle for developers to scale down the current non-retina apps to the smaller more pixel, dense screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.