Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Ever since last week I've had a really annoying issue with my iPhone 4S. When I turn it off, it immediately turns right back on. I usually always leave my iPhone on but when I'm in school I need to have it off. I've tried resetting it (sleep + home button) but it's still happening. I haven't tried draining the battery or restoring but I don't see how either would fix anything. I've uninstalled all of my latest apps incase they were interfering and that changed nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this? Anyone else have this issue?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
not having the issue but I would suggest fully draining the battery. Well, I suppose I'd try a full restore first but then try the battery thing. Maybe the sleep/wake button is malfunctioning. I think as a test, try draining the battery all the way down and let the phone shut itself off. Do a restore if you're willing to.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
Draining the battery did nothing. I'll try restoring it tomorrow. If that doesn't work should I take it to the Apple store?

actpa

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
I also just started having this problem with my 4s. The funny thing is the phone will turn off if it's plugged in. When it's not plugged in, it will reboot instead of turning off.

I'm at my wits end, having tried everything up to a full wipe and factory restore. Has anyone been able to fix this?

robbyrams

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
mine will also turn off if connected to power but no luck otherwise. Think its time to get in contact with apple and get myself a new phone

actpa

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Just a bit of followup--I ended up exchanging the phone, which solved the problem.

pac1928

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
My iPhone 4S shuts off twice a day

I'm on my 3rd iPhone from Apple (provider - Verizon) and still having the same issues. I've had 4 Apple techs troubleshoot, it's be replaced 3 times, yet I'm still having the same issue: the phone completely shuts down and does not reboot unless I do it manually.

It's been restored to factory settings (as new), they wiped something else (can't recall what it was), they've had me keep my apps off and load them one-by-one, I've stopped pulling things from iCloud and my iTunes... I really don't know what else to do. Nobody can figure it out.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
The problem randomly solved itself. I don't know why as I didn't do anything but at least it's turning off again.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
The problem randomly solved itself. I don't know why as I didn't do anything but at least it's turning off again.

Put it on vibrate when you're in school. I highly doubt they'd know or even care if the phone is on.

And yes, I know your problem's solved. Hooray, right?

Mardelle920

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
I had the same issue off and on since I got my 4s in January this year. While it is still under warranty get it replaced. After the 3rd time this happened to me I got the phone replaced. Amazing now the battery doeesn't run out in less than a day and it actually hold a charge. Trust me the phone is faulty. It will correct itself and then it will happen again replace your phone.

Last edited:

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
Apple Dock iPhone 4S

I just had my 4S replaced at the Apple Store. It turns off when hooked directly to the Apple cable but turns back on on the Apple Dock. I have tried two docks and both do it. Replacement phone now has the same problem. I think that Apple Dock damages the connector in the phone.

Kshipman17

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I had the same problem and all I had to do was use a clean, dry toothbrush to clean the charging port. Worked like a charm.

sagati

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
I don't think so, but here's what I noticed: the slider to turn off the phone has only showed up once (for me) since the last OS upgrade. I'm used to watching for that slider, so I tried to let go of the buttons when I attempt to turn it off as soon as the screen goes black, and it STAYED off. Not saying this is a fix, but it's at least a work-around.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
I don't think so, but here's what I noticed: the slider to turn off the phone has only showed up once (for me) since the last OS upgrade. I'm used to watching for that slider, so I tried to let go of the buttons when I attempt to turn it off as soon as the screen goes black, and it STAYED off. Not saying this is a fix, but it's at least a work-around.

Thanks, try this on a dock versus just attached to the cable? ON the dock, it turns back on. ON the cable, it shuts off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.