Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2011
2. Make sure you have a Mountain Lion compatible Mac, Im using a MacBook 2.4GHz Aluminum 2008

Are you using the aluminum keys macbook pro? I have that same model that I use as a media machine and would love to play with ML on it. I thought Core2Duo machines were not officially supported and couldn't install ML on it.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Are you using the aluminum keys macbook pro? I have that same model that I use as a media machine and would love to play with ML on it. I thought Core2Duo machines were not officially supported and couldn't install ML on it.

All unibody Macs are supported :) that includes iMac from 2008, MacBook Pro from 2008, Mac Mini from 2009 and Mac Pro from 2008. Im using the 13" MacBook Unibody that looks like the current MacBook Pro just without the SD card slot

Heres a pic for reference regard. on the Mac i used.
apple-macbook-aluminum-unibody-c2d-2-0ghz-8gb-ddr3-1111-15-rsrie@4.jpg

----------

Tried Kexthelper to get video Kexts for x1600 on a white c2d iMac. Kernel panic on start up etc. hosed everything and restored lion from time machine.

Now installing ML on a separate partition using the app directly from lion. No DVD or USB required with the image.

Will then try the manual kext move then terminal and see how I go.

Please boot in verbose mode (cmd+V) and post the kernal panic messages thx[COLOR="#808080"

johncluley

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
All unibody Macs are supported :) that includes iMac from 2008, MacBook Pro from 2008, Mac Mini from 2009 and Mac Pro from 2008. Im using the 13" MacBook Unibody that looks like the current MacBook Pro just without the SD card slot

Heres a pic for reference regard. on the Mac i used.

----------

Please boot in verbose mode (cmd+V) and post the kernal panic messages thx[COLOR="#808080"

Unfortunately I reinstalled everything and forgot to do that. Have just followed instructions regarding manual installation. No crashes this time but doesn't appear to be loaded. No acceleration so far.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Unfortunately I reinstalled everything and forgot to do that. Have just followed instructions regarding manual installation. No crashes this time but doesn't appear to be loaded. No acceleration so far.

Have you blessed the kext in Single User Mode? Make sure you changed the AppleIntelGMA950.kext to your graphics card kext name.

johncluley

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Have you blessed the kext in Single User Mode? Make sure you changed the AppleIntelGMA950.kext to your graphics card kext name.

Followed the three terminal commands 9so not a Terminal user here) hahah - Know how to boot single user but not sure how to bless.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Maybe the x1600 need more than just the kexts you are trying. Have you tried copying all the ATI kexts?

johncluley

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Maybe the x1600 need more than just the kexts you are trying. Have you tried copying all the ATI kexts?

This was the first thing I tried which resulted in the Startup Kernel Panics. Still trying things and will keep u posted on any developments. Apart from the video it's all working as it should.

ayilm1

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
geforce 7300:
• Relevant geforce kext
• NVDANVHalG7xxx
• NVDAResman
• NVDAResmanG7xxx

ati:
• ATIRadeonXXXXX
• ATIxxxxController
• ATIFB
• Relevant GL/GA/VA bundle

Add your IOPCI String into ./ATIRadeonXXXXX.kext/info.plist

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Does ML run stable with GMA x3100

Hi there. I have a late 2007 white macbook, id macbook3,1 with GMA x3100 integrated graphics, and was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully upgrage to ML with GMA x3100, and is it stable. I have the use of a supported mac to give this a shot, but would like to know if it's stable before trying it out.

Thanks

MacBooker4,1

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Hi there. I have a late 2007 white macbook, id macbook3,1 with GMA x3100 integrated graphics, and was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully upgrage to ML with GMA x3100, and is it stable. I have the use of a supported mac to give this a shot, but would like to know if it's stable before trying it out.

Thanks

Yes, I have successfully upgraded to ML using this method: http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/2012/02/18/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/

The problem is that there isn't a x3100 kext for 10.8 yet so the graphics look a bit weird and the display doesn't turn off in sleep mode. Everything else is stable, though.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
geforce 7300:
• Relevant geforce kext
• NVDANVHalG7xxx
• NVDAResman
• NVDAResmanG7xxx

ati:
• ATIRadeonXXXXX
• ATIxxxxController
• ATIFB
• Relevant GL/GA/VA bundle

Add your IOPCI String into ./ATIRadeonXXXXX.kext/info.plist

Danke.

MacBooker4,1

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Yep, that's me ;-) It works except for changing the brightness or entering sleep mode. Also, the graphics lag when entering Mission Control or Launchpad.

Sounds like your graphics card is not being loaded and you dont have QE/CI. Your screenshot on your site shows the card only has 8mb memory. Does force loading the Nvidia 7300 kexts from lion work for you? When the graphics are rendered by the software renderer you cant adjust the brightness or sleep.

MacBooker4,1

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Sounds like your graphics card is not being loaded and you dont have QE/CI. Your screenshot on your site shows the card only has 8mb memory. Does force loading the Nvidia 7300 kexts from lion work for you? When the graphics are rendered by the software renderer you cant adjust the brightness or sleep.

No, the site isn't mine, just the comment on the site ;-) Seems like my graphics card isn't loaded either, though. I guess that's because of the missing kexts. It doesn't even show the name of the card in system information. It just says "spdisplays_display". Do you know a way to solve this?

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
No, the site isn't mine, just the comment on the site ;-) Seems like my graphics card isn't loaded either, though. I guess that's because of the missing kexts. It doesn't even show the name of the card in system information. It just says "spdisplays_display". Do you know a way to solve this?

I dont have a mac pro so I cant experiment :(
From looking through this thread youll need kexts similar to these from your "/System/Library/Extensions" folder in Lion.

NVDANVHalG7xxx
NVDAResman
NVDAResmanG7xxx

I think NVDANVHalG7xxx is actually NVDANV40HalG7xxx.kext.

"Kext Helper b7" is a good program to use to install kexts by the way

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Thanks! I had just found the same page when I read your post. They're not perfect (I still can't watch youtube videos) but my graphics card is recognized by the OS now and there are hardly any lags now.

Basically you're in framebuffer mode.. There is a few more kext that you need to install.

----------

I dont have a mac pro so I cant experiment :(
From looking through this thread youll need kexts similar to these from your "/System/Library/Extensions" folder in Lion.

NVDANVHalG7xxx
NVDAResman
NVDAResmanG7xxx

I think NVDANVHalG7xxx is actually NVDANV40HalG7xxx.kext.

"Kext Helper b7" is a good program to use to install kexts by the way

for Mac Pro, i highly recommend you to change the graphics card, even if that card works, it wont work well.. Very laggy even on Lion

----------

Sounds like the kexts are not installed, try installing the required kext with KextHelper.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Basically you're in framebuffer mode.. There is a few more kext that you need to install.

I have the same MacBook 4,1 and installed the x3100 kexts using KextHelper and have the same issues. I installed all five files relating to the x3100 in the /System/Library/Extensions folder from Lion using KextHelper. Are there other files in that directory that need to be loaded for the card to function properly?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I installed ML straight into an external USB disc from Lion, building the ML installer as described in this blog:

http://www.j4mie.co.uk/blog/2012/02/18/how-to-install-mountain-lion-on-macpro11/#comment-44

It works fine, apart from the lack of graphical HW acceleration (no GMA 950 kext). So I checked the guide here, I'd like some clarifications about this two points:

Then remove cache and rebuilt:
Code:
rm -rf /Volumes/~MLPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions.mkext
Code:
kextcache -k /Volumes/~MLPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions

I can't find any /System/Library/Extensions.mkext file nor a "-k" (lowercase) option for kextcache. With the GMA 950 kext from 10.7.3 the WindowsServer keeps crashing before to show the login-window. I managed to make the HW acceleration working installing a GMA 950 kext found in an hackintosh site. But that was for versions 10.6.2-10.6.7. Still it works, it does the acceleration, but most videos are blank.

Do I have to get the kext from 10.7.0 as I think I've read in another post? Which kext from which OS X release did you use for the GMA 950? Where can I find them?

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Do I have to get the kext from 10.7.0 as I think I've read in another post? Which kext from which OS X release did you use for the GMA 950? Where can I find them?

I got the 10.7.0 kexts from installing in a VM as all my Macs are at 10.7.3. However, WindowsServer crashes regardless and I can only get the MB to start by removing the kexts.

This is a Macbook 2,1. You can only get the GMA950.kext and the GMA950VADriver.bundle from the 10.7.0 installation media. The final item, the GMA950GLDriver.bundle (typo in the original guide) seems only to be created on actual installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.