Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheepead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
I've been browsing Macrumours for years and always found it very useful. This is the first time I've not been able to find a resolution through browsing and so have decided to register.

I currently have an iPhone 4S and backup to iCloud. I'm using 4gig of my 5gig allowance. I intend to buy the next generation iPad whenever it surfaces and was wondering if that 5gig allowance was for my phone only? That's assuming straight out of the box I set up my iPad to my iCloud id. Would I have another 5gig for the iPad??

Apologies if this has already been asked and if it makes no sense. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
5GB is for your one iCloud account only....the number of devices you own is irrelevant as they all share the 5GB. I suggest making some room, or upgrading your iCloud storage.

sheepead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
Oh right, thanks for the quick replies.

So along with iTunes match subscription I'll have to also pay for iCloud storage. Never mind.

Is it very common for people to need more storage owning both devices?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Oh right, thanks for the quick replies.

So along with iTunes match subscription I'll have to also pay for iCloud storage. Never mind.

Is it very common for people to need more storage owning both devices?

It's common if you use a lot of space on each of your devices. My sister has an iPhone and an iPod touch. She's currently using 4.8gb of her iCloud space between the two devices. The majority of that space is taken up by the camera roll. Without that her space usage would be much less. Maybe you could offload your iPhone 4S camera roll onto your computer and remove that from iCloud. Although if you'd prefer to have an iCloud backup of that, then you wouldn't want to be doing that.

sheepead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
It's common if you use a lot of space on each of your devices. My sister has an iPhone and an iPod touch. She's currently using 4.8gb of her iCloud space between the two devices. The majority of that space is taken up by the camera roll. Without that her space usage would be much less. Maybe you could offload your iPhone 4S camera roll onto your computer and remove that from iCloud. Although if you'd prefer to have an iCloud backup of that, then you wouldn't want to be doing that.

Yep, it's my camera roll that adds it all up. My computer is in need of updating and as I can't afford an iMac yet I'll just probably pay for more storage. As I have iTunes match I have never synced my 4S to the computer and was planning to do the same with my iPad.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
In settings on your iOS device, you can set up exceptions to your backup rules. So some apps that require tons of backup space can be exempted. Things like VLC with lots of videos would eat up your storage space really fast.

I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad and i'm only using 3.0 GB of my iCloud.

If that's not enough for you, it's not like $20/year is terribly expensive to triple your storage to 15 GB.

sheepead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2012
In settings on your iOS device, you can set up exceptions to your backup rules. So some apps that require tons of backup space can be exempted. Things like VLC with lots of videos would eat up your storage space really fast.

I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad and i'm only using 3.0 GB of my iCloud.

If that's not enough for you, it's not like $20/year is terribly expensive to triple your storage to 15 GB.

Yeah I agree it's not that much of a financial burden, would just have been nice not to.

On a different note, is that the Vlc app that was superb that has now been removed from the app store? Was released over a year ago for free but was taken down quickly. Can't even get it back from the purchased tab in app store!

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
Yeah I agree it's not that much of a financial burden, would just have been nice not to.

On a different note, is that the Vlc app that was superb that has now been removed from the app store? Was released over a year ago for free but was taken down quickly. Can't even get it back from the purchased tab in app store!

Nope, its not available any longer. Because VLC is an open source project, one of the contributors had an issue with Apple's terms of service on the app store and demanded that it be removed from the store. Pretty sad really. It's such a great app. It's nice to be able to take pretty much any video file and play it on your iOS device without worrying about converting it or codecs and formats and stuff. VLC just takes care of everything.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
There are other apps out there that let you play any codec. Goodplayer for instance. Works fairly well for me.

Camera roll will take up most of your space. Especially video on a 4s. I have 4.1 gb free across 3 devices. Disabled camera roll backup.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location

Nope, its not available any longer. Because VLC is an open source project, one of the contributors had an issue with Apple's terms of service on the app store and demanded that it be removed from the store. Pretty sad really. It's such a great app. It's nice to be able to take pretty much any video file and play it on your iOS device without worrying about converting it or codecs and formats and stuff. VLC just takes care of everything.

I still have the VLC app :D it's a very nice piece of kit, I use it often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.