Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Perhaps my memory is faulty (either way, we need not resurrect the controversy of the abolishment of the family pack and its workarounds) ;).

Ah see that was for my own use. And you'll be happy to know my GF is still on Snow Leopard while my MBA is on Lion. ;)

As I've said, I wouldn't break the law, but if others do ? Don't know, don't care.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Of course my ISP needs to know where I am, but that is an ongoing service - not a once in a blue moon situation. Besides, direct bank debit solves the problem of credit card privacy.

If Apple had not insisted upon app store only distribution of future OSs, this would not be an issue.

I want to download a DMG, install and reboot when I please, and save said DMG for possible re-installation. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The correct answer to you is too frigging bad. Its one thing to be concerned about privacy, but there is also such a thing as "BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE."

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm sorry but you really dont know what you're talking about. I don't know what you imagine you are protecting by not providing Apple with your address, or credit card information.

But are you aware that there are hundreds of millions of Apple ID holders out there, and not one has ever complained about being the victim of Apple-initiated fraud?

Thats something for you to consider.

Believe me, I wear a lot of hats, and I sympathize with your desire not to provide unneeded information for the sake of privacy and security...I believe in the very same things. I am however, mature and aware enough to know when it makes sense and when it does not. This is why I feel you are going out of your way to complain about something not worth complaining about.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I am however, mature and aware enough to know when it makes sense and when it does not. This is why I feel you are going out of your way to complain about something not worth complaining about.

Makes sense to whom? Apple, maybe, but not to someone who would only ever use it to purchase a new OS, between rare purchases of new HW, which would come pre-installed, I presume. (Updates are no problem, since there are alternative ways to get them).

It doesn't matter anyway, since this thread and its comments on auto-save and versions has convinced me to stay on SL as long as I can install on new HW (not Mac), and move fully to Ubuntu afterwards.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I am fairly keen to try ML (when I can be bothered to finish the download on my slow net) I will be putting it on a diff partition. I used to be a big Apple fan now not so much ever since the iOS integration i hate it launch pad mission control is never used. I love os x but if they really push the ipadness into the computers id have to go back to windows

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I've been using Lion for only two months (as long as I've had my first MacBook Pro) and I'm very, very happy with it. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod touch 4 as well. Now, on portable devices that fit in your pocket, Twitter integration makes a lot of sense. I don't use Twitter that much but what the hell; it's optional. I can tell you right now that I'll never use Reminders or Twitter on my Mac. However, notification center will be a welcome addition as long as it works well and doesn't get in my face all the time. ;) I don't yet know what Game Center will be like, seeing as how there aren't too many Mac versions of iOS games yet. I doubt if RAGE and CoD would use it either. :p But if there aren't any big bugs to smash I'll be shelling out my 30 bucks as soon as it goes live.

azpc

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Apple is so close to having a really fantastic operating system. The Mac is on the verge of making huge market share gains. Unfortunately, a few easily fixed issues are blocking wider acceptance.

Versions - Great Idea, implementation needs refinement

Versions needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Versions can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change Versions default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. My clients and I would love to have the ability to turn off versions for several apps.

Restore Save As along with Save A Version - Save As did two things easily, new name, new location. The new system of Duplicate, Save A Version and Export is not as easy or useful as Save As. Windows switchers in particular are irate over the loss of Save As.

Resume – Good Idea, implementation needs refinement

Resume needs to provide users with an option to change default behavior for specific apps. Resume can be useful in Safari but it can be a real irritant in Preview or Quicktime. An option to change Resume's default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. Clients will be satisfied with the ability to turn off Resume. (What if payroll was the last document open)?

Please See:

http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/07/apple_mac_os_x_lion_the_nanny_os/

Automatic Application Termination - modify implementation

Automatic Termination needs an option to change system wide default behavior. Automatic Application Termination might be useful for some users but it can be a real irritant for experienced users. Clients frequently open up programs such as Grab and Preview and switch to them as necessary via the dock or command tab. These programs frequently don't have an open window, however, they are used for a minute or two several times an hour.

When the application automatically terminates without user permission, it is the same to the user as an application crash!

Please See http://vimeo.com/34711608

Reopen Windows Next Time

Option in System Preferences to eliminate “reopen windows next time”. (Reduce the frustration of having to recheck this option each time the computer is restarted). It would be nice if Mountain Lion would allow users to permanently set preferences so the question never appeared.

AutoSave

Initially, my clients and I thought this feature was going to be great. However, we have discovered that we work with a lot of files that we don't always want to save. PDF files, experimental photo modifications, trial letters etc. We really don't want all of these extra files cluttering up our computers. AutoSave needs to provide users with an option to change the default behavior for specific apps. AutoSave can be useful in Pages or Numbers but it can be a real irritant in Preview. An option to change AutoSave default behavior for a specific app could be placed inside of Get Info. Clients will be satisfied with the ability to control AutoSave.

Restore option for colored icons in finder sidebar - Colored icons really help in providing tech support to clients.

Finder

Restore the option at the bottom of the finder window to show number of files selected and the Space available on the hard disk.

Restore Quick Look – zoom in on pdfs

Columns that resize properly in “Kind View".

Optional restoration of scroll arrows

This is a major issue when the computer requires small steady input - photo and video editing, spreadsheets, databases etc.

Please see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3252617?start=0&tstart=0

Mouse Speed & Acceleration

Need an option to set both mouse pointer speed and acceleration curve. (Most frequent complaint I receive from former Windows users).

Green Zoom Button Behavior

Option in System Preferences to set Green Zoom button to Window Maximize - (Window fills screen except for Dock). As it stands now it is up to each developer how this function works therefore the behavior is very inconsistent.
Second most frequent complaint I receive from Windows switchers.

Client Comment:

"I have looked at the iMac carefully, as my kids have one at home. Even though I'd like to switch to Apple, I find two issues with the Mac unacceptable for my purposes .

The inability to fully maximize a program is irritating, as I am used to doing that regularly. Also the cursor movements with the mouse are too jerky. Unfortunately these 2 features will force me to continue down the Microsoft OS path."

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm curious about the behaviour of OS software updates through the Mac App Store; I'm maintaining my family computers but it's a bloody nightmare thanks to the Mac App Store constantly requiring Apple ID's to be entered for every simply update. If this is the future for system updates as well then it's going to be pretty grim.

I wouldn't mind so much if the updates are presented in the Mac App Store, but can still be downloaded automatically in the background, and installed by any suitable user without requiring an Apple ID every time, but if OS updates are going to be the same as app updates, then Mountain Lion is going to be horrible to run.

Updates are one of the few things that Windows does quite well; I'd love to just have everything download and install automatically (if selected of course) and only ever receive prompts if a restart is required (so long as I can choose to delay them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.