Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
I know in the end the iPhone for me is the better choice, but at times I see phones from Samsung like the Galaxy SII, and I sort of want one just to mess around with. Also it has LTE so yeah.

What about you guys?

Broph

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
New Zealand
I want to try the Galaxy Nexus more than any other android phone.

I want to see if bigger is better (expecting following jokes about member size).

Likewise, I know the iPhone is the best choice for me.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I came from 2 Android phones (Hero and Evo 4G) so I can certainly say no. I have 30GB of music in my iTunes, and I absolutely love having all of that music with me in my pocket. I was not about to start managing music manually on an Android, and doubletwist did not work well as a substitute. Plus the music players on those devices left a lot to be desired. The phone also just "works". I was flashing new ROMs onto my Android device every other week, because the stock ROMs were crap, and they always had bugs that crashed my phone. :rolleyes: I didn't really care for the larger size of the phone. I wear XL gloves yet I couldn't comfortably navigate the phone with one hand.

I had 4G on the Evo but I never used it... having it on killed my battery life, and I almost always had WiFi available. 3G sufficed for the few times I didn't. One of my friends has a S2 that has LTE, and the speeds are impressive. He also has to carry his phone charger with him all the time ;)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I wouldn't mind playing with some of the newer ones just to see how they are because im a gadget junkie but I would never under any circumstances buy an android phone. Im way too addicted to apple stuff to do that.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
No.

Honestly, the only thing I miss about my android phone is the free google navigation. It really is awesome and the turn by turn is great considering you don't have to drop a dime to have it. Other than that, no.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
When my wife and I switched from AT&T to Verizon, she got the iPhone 4 and I was going to also but the HTC ThunderBolt caught my eye. The unlimited 4G LTE data plan sucked me in as well. I went 9 months with the ThunderBolt which I had to root in order to get it to do what I want. The stock HTC experience (Sense) is terrible. After many months of trying custom ROM's to get the phone the way I wanted it, I got fed up and got an iPhone 4s. Android is good but the iOS experience is so much better, especially with iOS 5.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have an android, refuse to pay the high fees associated with iPhones. Plus all the iPhone users crowding me out of the Apple store sorta leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
What I want is for iOS to get more features from OSX, so it can act more like a laptop in your pocket instead of a mp3 player with phone calling capability.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I wish android was true linux. It just borrows the kernel that's it. I would like a phone with a full day battery life and able to run ubuntu/fedora with mobile scaled version. That would be awesome!

In its current state i didn't get very happy with it.

Edit: that and a lack of instapaper app. I use it a lot on the iPhone and read it later was not able to win me over. It is sad that the creator refuses to port it over to android.

Last edited:

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I wouldn't mind messing with one, but those bigger screens are too big for my hands. I can't even reach across the larger screens one handed, while I can with the iphone.
Also, I have a mac. Do the fandroids really expect me to believe that an android will work better with my computer than an iphone? Please. :rolleyes:
Messing with the android os wouldn't be such a big deal, since I jb. However, it annoys me that I am forced to do so to have a decent experience and to get timely updates.
Here's my biggest beef with android. All that crappy bloatware that's installed and can't be deleted (not hidden, deleted). One of the reasons I got rid of windows was the damn bloatware.

Last edited:

thesweeps

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I have an android, refuse to pay the high fees associated with iPhones. Plus all the iPhone users crowding me out of the Apple store sorta leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Curious what "high fees" did you or do people with iPhones have to pay?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I like to have a tinker with the shops working demo models but thats where it ends for me.

i have no impulsion to use one either as a primary or secondary phone.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah I do from time to time. I love my iPhone but sometimes I get bored. It's not that the iPhone is boring, I just get bored of stuff after a while. I might give the Galaxy S3 a try if I like it. I'll keep my 4S though in case Android doesn't suit me.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I know a lot of people think the Samsung Galaxy Note is a rediculous size but I think its cool and thats the one I keep thinking about and wanting to get a shot of it to see what its like.

However I cant see me ever getting one cos i'd rather just wait and see what the next iPhone is like and I also cant see me getting anything else but an iPhone because I know i'd regret it.

If the Samsung Galaxy Note came with a quad processor and the latest ice cream whatever I might have been extremely tempted just to go and get it.

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
New York
IMHO the two platforms are very similar, except that android has widgets. Yes there are some other minor differences, but it's all about the apps these days and both offer pretty much the same apps.

I just wish the iPhone had a bigger screen...........brother has the Nexus and playing games, surfing web, etc is much better because of the screen.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I have a lot of friends buying the latest Android phones.

The new Samsung Galaxies and Nexus phones are really great.
Compared to the iPhone, the hardware has already evolved way beyond what Apple is offering. (Specs)

But I still think that the iPhone 4 is superior in design and quality.
Also, the new Android phones are too large for my taste.

I have seriously considered buying a Samsung Galaxy II, but every time I play with Android, I really miss my iPhone.

I find the User-Interface complicated and hard to learn.
Lots of menus and options.

iOS, at least in my opinion, has the better design but not necessarily more functionality.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I'd like to try Galaxy S II for a month or so, especially interested in ICS keyboard.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
When you collect different cell phones with different OSes like me, you have a small "want" for many, many phones that isn't just exclusive to Android.

So far, my Android wishlist is between the Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus. But in a few months, it may not be either of them anymore. Looking forward to what the Galaxy S III will be like.

I think ALL phones are getting boring to me me right now whether the ones that are out now or ones that got recently announced. There is no quantum leap to any of them. No gamechangers right now. Battery life still last a day or two. We will get quad core phones where the other two cores remain idle since the software isn't optimized for that many cores. We will get 12MP cameras when we don't need it to be in that resolution in the first place. Lots of overkill and excess for things we don't really need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.