Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about Apple's handling of features for the iPhone and OSX?

• I think its great. I want my OSX to be more simplified like iOS and I like how my iPhone is.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • I don't like it. I wish my iPhone would get more features from OSX instead.

Votes: 97 42.0%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
You'd think Apple would make an effort to port features from OSX to the iPhone, such as a filesystem, default program selection, Messaging that supports multiple protocols, etc but instead, we see OSX inherit the same features on iPhone that frankly, don't suit everybody's needs.

Anybody else get this sick feeling in their stomach when their computer is acting more like their phone and their phone barely gets features from their desktop counterpart?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple originally took ideas from Mac and applied it to the iPhone, they still do.

Its like a giant circle...

iPhone -> iPad -> Mac -> iPad -> iPhone -> Mac -> iPad, etc.

iOS 6 may get cool features from Mac, you never know.

Calling it an insult isn't exactly right though.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
How many people are actually bothered that their phone doesn't have a file system? I know I am not, for one.

I for one don't mind that my iMac will be getting features which make it simpler to use. :)

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
How about not having an ill-created poll... Seriously look at the options, neither would I select. How about not having loaded options and getting over it already...

thesweeps

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
what exactly do you want lol ive never been using my iphone and been like omg i need a file system this is useless. in fact ive never been using my iphone and not been able to do anything with it that I use my cell phone for really.

----------

"I think its great. I want my OSX to be more simplified like iOS and I like how my iPhone is."

Because they added a few apps to your Mac like reminders, notifications, the ability to send FREE texts to ipods, iphones and ipads? I dont that makes anything simplified those are all cool features brought to the mac i think everyone would agree on that. why wouldnt you want that stuff

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
This is a badly constructed poll. It's like asking, "Do you think Newt Gingrich/Barack Obama/George Washington/etc. is more like a)a child molester or b)a rapist?"
Come up with a real poll that isn't so biased

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
This is a badly constructed poll. It's like asking, "Do you think Newt Gingrich/Barack Obama/George Washington/etc. is more like a)a child molester or b)a rapist?"
Come up with a real poll that isn't so biased
What are you talking about? Have you even read the options? It's pretty much:

a) I'm satisfied with how the iPhone is progressing. Nothing needs to be changed.
b) I'm not satisfied with how the iPhone is progressing. I wish more features from OSX would be integrated into the iPhone.

I mean really, this isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Just because I mention OSX doesn't change that the poll is trying to get at whether you want iOS to be more like OSX or not.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I think that the general customer base finds the new features in Lion and ML attractive. For those of us who don't, stick with what you like (Snow Leopard if possible).

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
The topic is whether more OSX features should be ported to the iPhone or not. I'm not saying it should be like Android. I'm just saying it should be more like OSX rather than the other way around. Is that so scary a topic to you people? Why is wanting more functionality from the OS that iOS is based on considered trolling? Do you people really WANT your phone to lack things like a filesystem or even a file repository?

Last edited by a moderator:

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
The iPhone and iPad have been very popular compared to the Mac.

Apple sees this and wants to make the Mac as much of a post-PC device as a PC can be.

The thing Apple forgets, though (or maybe they don't), is that the entire world has been trained to use a more complex computing environment and is capable of doing so. Sure, there are use cases where a senior citizen would be better off with an appliance-like interface, but is it right for everyone?

At times I've seen Apple's desire to make things simpler make things more complicated if you want to do something Apple doesn't anticipate. Or, you need an app to complete a very specific function.

Apple is a bit like a poet who is able to non-sentimentally erase lines that don't serve the singular purpose of a poem, even if they were really clever lines.

I think there is a case to be made for PC era devices with features that Apple's OS will lose over time. And I hope Microsoft is there to make that case. But I am starting to get where Apple is going. I don't know if I like it—it's a very sterile, unemotional, inorganic, intuitive-only-through-appliance-like-nature paradigm. It's not intuitive like pre-Mac OS X or Mac OS X had been. Instead it's bold and obvious like primary colors. It's less intuitive and more simple.

Apple has often stripped itself of aging technology before consumers were ready, but then they did it with serial ports, floppy drives, and DVD drives, not software features.

If you want to feel really paralyzed try using a ChromeBook. It's unnerving to use one. You can't do anything with it but what it was designed to do. You want to close the browser window to see the desktop, but you can't. It's just there, waiting for you to pick a web application. It's like an appliance. People don't sit with their washing machines, playing with the knobs, customizing them just so. It's the same with the direction Apple is going. And if you want to feel what too fast in that direction feels like, the ChromeBook is the perfect example.

Apple's vision is to create devices that people use for their intended functions. Apple doesn't seem to any longer want to create devices that people love. It's about making the same PCs of the 90s and 00s not more advanced, but more like appliances. You could take the complex, interesting, quirky, emotionally connected OSes from the 90s and 00s and make them more advanced, but Apple's not doing that. It's making the PC for everyone (not just the rest of us), all over again, starting from scratch as if it's the late 1970s, as if no one had ever learned how to use their computers over the last few decades. As if the last few decades didn't happen. They are abandoning the computer of the last 20 years to build one from scratch. And it's boring, and it's like a washing machine. But it works, and people like it. One app, one button, one tap. Nothing more.

If you're looking for meaning in an Apple device, an emotional connection to the software, a camaraderie with the underdog, I think those days are over.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
If you're looking for meaning in an Apple device, an emotional connection to the software, a camaraderie with the underdog, I think those days are over.
Yeah, I feel that's coming too. Every computing device will be a terminal and Apple is just leading the way. Their disinterest in filesystems for iOS is the biggest clue.

Last edited:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
I don't see how you would care that much or 'get a sick feeling'??? seems a wee bit over-dramatic to me but:

I agree it would be nice to see some Desktop features on iOS (they are both OSX at the end of the day).

* Fast user switching, our iPad 2 is used by more than 1 family member, mail only supports 1 profile at a time etc...

* Downloading of homeshare music via iTunes directly on the iOS device.

* support for 3rd party browsers, mail clients etc.

* Better messaging support... etc. etc.

I think a lot of these are answered by Apps, however. Remember Mac's are now riding on iOS halo effect (just like the old iPod) and any features moved over so people like my mum, who loves the iPad can switch to a Mac and use it is great.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
You'd think Apple would make an effort to port features from OSX to the iPhone, such as a filesystem, default program selection, Messaging that supports multiple protocols, etc but instead, we see OSX inherit the same features on iPhone that frankly, don't suit everybody's needs.

Anybody else get this sick feeling in their stomach when their computer is acting more like their phone and their phone barely gets features from their desktop counterpart?

This is actually going rake in more users for Mac. A lot of people are afraid to go to Mac because of the unknown.

But putting iOS features on it was GENIUS.

The Mac is not losing any functionality, in fact, it's actually gaining some!

To make a phone like a computer is not the way forward, it's been proven unsuccessful.

I a PC and I'm more tempted to get a Mac than ever before!

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
This is actually going rake in more users for Mac. A lot of people are afraid to go to Mac because of the unknown.

But putting iOS features on it was GENIUS.

The Mac is not losing any functionality, in fact, it's actually gaining some!!
Good point, but is the iPhone gaining functionality from OSX in return? Hardly.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I think they'll be exchanging features more now.

iOS will most likely get an ability to add pictures to Notes like in Mountain Lion, since both can sync to each other and there would be a conflict if the pictures didn't sync from OS X to iOS.

And maybe also a unified address bar in Safari.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
There's so many things that they can do to iOS without erasing the line between a phone and a computer, which is a very important line.

They could add some new feature and you wont ever think of file systems again probably.

When they've added iOS features to Mac it only helps the experience, it's not like they're merging it.

These are actuall features they should've incorporated a while ago.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
But a desktop has different functions than a phone. I have sympathy for bringing OS X functionality to iOS for the iPad, but not for the iPhone.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
But a desktop has different functions than a phone. I have sympathy for bringing OS X functionality to iOS for the iPad, but not for the iPhone.
So...you don't want to choose the default browser, text editor, etc on your phone? Really?

You don't want to upload from a web browser on your phone either I take it and just hope "there's an app" for what you need to upload?

I can go on and on and on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.