Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I've had my iPhone 4 since launch and had no problems with it whatsoever, I have dropped it a few times but it hasn't even been scuffed and looks like mint condition still. I did recently update to iOS 4.2 GM, a couple weeks ago (so I don't *think* that has something to do with it but maybe...).

My problem is that suddenly today whenever I make calls or receive calls, I can hear the other person on the line but they can't hear me at all! Most of the time it's just completely blank on their end. Sometimes, it will work for around 10 seconds or so then it starts crackling on their end and then bam, silence again and they can't hear a thing I say! Sometimes it'll go in and out before finally going completely blank again.

I've tried resetting network settings, doing a hard reset, restarting the phone several times, nothing seems to work. I've noticed that Voice Memos and recording video both still work perfectly, indicating to me that both mics seem to be working fine except for during calls? What the heck?

I haven't done a restore yet but I plan on it tomorrow morning. I've searched several forums and people with this issue seem to just get replacement devices as nothing, including restoring the software, seems to work. But most of these cases involve people with somewhat new phones that just break all of a sudden, and also they have mic issues when using Voice Memos or recording video, so maybe my problem is a little bit different.

Anyone know what I should do? The nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hours away from me. If the restore doesn't work, I'll call AppleCare if the limited warranty can fix this.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
Talked to Apple support, seems like once all the software options (concluding with restoring iOS) are exhausted, it's simply concluded to be a hardware issue and they'll replace it. So for anyone in this same position later on: your hardware is borked, Apple will replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.