Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, ABC announced that it had been granted exclusive access to Foxconn's factories in China where the company assembled products for Apple, with the segment scheduled to air on a special edition of Nightline on Tuesday night.

foxconn_ipad_polishing.jpg

ABC has now posted a preview of the segment, along with a teaser video from Nightline co-anchor Bill Weir.
Apple promised complete access, no dog-and-pony, no Potemkin Village, but they denied my repeated requests to interview Apple CEO Tim Cook or the senior vice president of industrial design, Jony Ive.

In a three-golf-cart convoy, both Apple and Foxconn reps took us around to a half dozen production lines in Shenzhen and Chengdu, and there were always five to six people with us as we toured the factories and dorms. But aside from suggesting a visit to the counseling center or canteen, they never steered us to interviews and never interrupted.
The extensive preview offers comments from several Foxconn employees, as well as Louis Woo, a former Apple executive who now serves as an advisor to Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, and Fair Labor Association president Auret van Heerden.

Nightline's "iFactory: Inside Apple" segment airs tomorrow, February 21, at 11:35 PM Eastern and Pacific on ABC.

Article Link: ABC Previews 'Nightline' Visit to Foxconn's Chinese Factories

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
This seems pretty interesting. Does anybody know a way to watch this in germany? Maybe stream online?

DaDalle

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2011
I'd really like to see this! But sadly I live in Germany.. Does ABC-News stream this or post this on their website?

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Sounds like Iraq and North Korea tours to me. This won't reveal much, other then how much the employees LOVE working for apple and sing songs while they work praising the work environments, benefits and pay. LOL

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Uh ...

Is there a scandal I missed about poor working conditions and pay for chicken farm workers?

Or wait, did you just imply that a Chinese laborer and a chicken, about to be killed for our dinner, should be treated equivalently?

why isnt there this same level of scrutiny of america's chicken farms?

caddisfly

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
now lets see a tour of....

the processing facilities of a subcontractor who is processing chicken, cattle, pork for any big meat companies in the US market

or any of the subcontractors who are making toys for walmart, costco, target, etc for the US market

or any subcontractors who are picking your fruit and veggies that you eat every day

or any of the subcontractors who makes your clothing

...let alone the other computer manufacturers

if this is something you want Apple to feel "shame" about or get "blame", look in the mirror

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
why isnt there this same level of scrutiny of america's chicken farms?

Glad to see you care more about chickens than people. There hasn't been a large number of humans committing suicide at chicken farms.

I hope Nightline talks about the quality of life. Making $1.78 an hour seems about right, but how are they living?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I like how the media tries to point to Apple and make people blame Apple. You can blame Apple for using Foxconn, if there are strange work practices, but you can blame a bunch of other major electronics people as well. Apple doesn't own Foxconn, it pays them to make the product.

There is this ignorant perception that Apple manages, owns, controls, and whips slaves down in the Foxconn building. If you follow the media, you'd think Steve Jobs is resurrected and eating the food denied to Foxconn people by their evil Apple overlord.

Hey. Work laws are different in different countries. Get used to it. This isn't McEarth.

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
There are more Apple haters than chicken farms haters ;)

Interesting that you should class any person who finds slave labour/exploitation abhorrent as an 'Apple hater'. Maybe you are one of these Steve Jobs worshipping 'fanboys' I keep hearing about. Remember these things are just pretty shiny gadgets...nothing more...a mobile telephone and a small computer - that's all they are. The people who make them are real human beings like you and me. They deserve to be treated better that $1.50 an hour.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
I have a horrible feeling this is just going to be showing everyone what Foxconn wants us to see.
But either way, it should be quite interesting.
Any news of anyway for the UK audience to watch?

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
the processing facilities of a subcontractor who is processing chicken, cattle, pork for any big meat companies in the US market

or any of the subcontractors who are making toys for walmart, costco, target, etc for the US market

or any subcontractors who are picking your fruit and veggies that you eat every day

or any of the subcontractors who makes your clothing

...let alone the other computer manufacturers

if this is something you want Apple to feel "shame" about or get "blame", look in the mirror

What others are doing has no relevance to the Foxconn situation - if it's bad it should be stopped. If it's not, then no worries. It shouldn't be OK to get away with terrible conditions just because others are getting away with terrible conditions.

Tony

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I like how the media tries to point to Apple and make people blame Apple. You can blame Apple for using Foxconn, if there are strange work practices, but you can blame a bunch of other major electronics people as well. Apple doesn't own Foxconn, it pays them to make the product.

There is this ignorant perception that Apple manages, owns, controls, and whips slaves down in the Foxconn building. If you follow the media, you'd think Steve Jobs is resurrected and eating the food denied to Foxconn people by their evil Apple overlord.

Hey. Work laws are different in different countries. Get used to it. This isn't McEarth.
It doesn't matter who's carrying the whip: if, big if, there is inhumane practice, and you perpetuate and support its practice, you're at least partly culpable too.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Let's hope they put the Foxconn salaries in context. Living over there does not cost anywhere as much as living here in the US or Europe.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

No one is blaming Apple, but if Apple knows what's going on and still contracts Foxconn then it is a major concern for Apple buyers, stock holders and so forth. They are the most popular tech company, and that title will come with more responsibility in human rights and the environment.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
No one is blaming Apple, but if Apple knows what's going on and still contracts Foxconn then it is a major concern for Apple buyers, stock holders and so forth. They are the most popular tech company, and that title will come with more responsibility in human rights and the environment.

There wasn't this attention on Dell, HP, IBM, or any other manufacturer and still isn't when it should be on the industry as a whole, not one company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.