Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
So I've been on Straight Talk for the past couple of days. Everything is working perfectly so far.

3G Data speeds are between 2-3Mbps down and 1-2Mbps up. I've had one test that got 3.5 down and about 2.5up.

I'm very pleased with the service and data speeds. Activation was quick and easy.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
So I've been on Straight Talk for the past couple of days. Everything is working perfectly so far.

3G Data speeds are between 2-3Mbps down and 1-2Mbps up. I've had one test that got 3.5 down and about 2.5up.

I'm very pleased with the service and data speeds. Activation was quick and easy.

So what's the bottom line you ended up paying $700 for a phone and $50 a month? Can you tether or do you have to jailbreak?

I guess when you factor in the cost of the phone and an average plan costing say $75 you're saving about $100 over the life of your two-year contract. However you have to keep in mind that you're not getting the full data speed that you would on AT&T and it sounds like you're not getting completely unlimited data like Sprint would offer.

But since offers an upgrade in your 22nd calendar month, for me this doesn't make a good solution.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
So what's the bottom line you ended up paying $700 for a phone and $50 a month? Can you tether or do you have to jailbreak?

I already had the unlocked phone, so it was just a matter of swapping the SIM and setting a few APN modifications.

You are technically not allowed to tether, but if you jailbreak, it is definitely possible.

I guess when you factor in the cost of the phone and an average plan costing say $75 you're saving about $100 over the life of your two-year contract. However you have to keep in mind that you're not getting the full data speed that you would on AT&T and it sounds like you're not getting completely unlimited data like Sprint would offer.

If you prepay for the year on Straight Talk (at $499 per year), and add sales tax, it will come out to about $43.50 per month (depending on your state/tax rate). For a 24 month period, that would cost (including the cost of the unlocked $699 phone), about $1750.

On AT&T, with a $75 per month plan, (and if you bought the phone for $199), it would cost about $2000, so you'd save about $250. Also, the AT&T plan would not have unlimited talk/text/data. (AT&T Unlimited Minutes alone are $70 per month plus tax)

As you said, the data may not be "truly" unlimited, but the speeds at about 3Mbps are just fine for my use.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I already had the unlocked phone, so it was just a matter of swapping the SIM and setting a few APN modifications.

You are technically not allowed to tether, but if you jailbreak, it is definitely possible.

If you prepay for the year on Straight Talk (at $499 per year), and add sales tax, it will come out to about $43.50 per month (depending on your state/tax rate). For a 24 month period, that would cost (including the cost of the unlocked $699 phone), about $1750.

On AT&T, with a $75 per month plan, (and if you bought the phone for $199), it would cost about $2000, so you'd save about $250. Also, the AT&T plan would not have unlimited talk/text/data. (AT&T Unlimited Minutes alone are $70 per month plus tax)

As you said, the data may not be "truly" unlimited, but the speeds at about 3Mbps are just fine for my use.
You'd save a lot more than that. AT&T comparable plan is $90 plus tax now. $40 for voice, $20 for text, and $30 for 3gb of data=$90 plus taxes would end up at $100/month.

Straight talk is $50/month with taxes.

$700 for phone plus around $540/year for mobile service after tax would end up at about $1,750 like u said. AT&T would be about $2,600 after $200 phone and $100/month for service....plus there are fees like $36 upgrade fee on top of $200 phone etc. so after 24 months you save around $850-$900! Plus you aren't stuck in a contract!

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just switched my iPhone4 from goPhone to Straight talk yesterday. It only took about 20 minutes for them to change my phone number over from AT&T. So far everything is working great especially data. I have t tried mms yet, but everyone I text has iMessage so I don't think it would be a big deal anyways.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just switched my iPhone4 from goPhone to Straight talk yesterday. It only took about 20 minutes for them to change my phone number over from AT&T. So far everything is working great especially data. I have t tried mms yet, but everyone I text has iMessage so I don't think it would be a big deal anyways.

FYI, MMS tested and works fine for me.

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Just activated my 3gs with straight talk. The savings coming from Cincinnati Bell was around $5.00 in taxes, but I get 3g because of the 1900 band. Also those that have come from ATT should see even more savings than the ~70-45 because taxes are about 20-25% while straight talk is around 10-15% at least that's what I've found

linux45

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
You'd save a lot more than that. AT&T comparable plan is $90 plus tax now. $40 for voice, $20 for text, and $30 for 3gb of data=$90 plus taxes would end up at $100/month.

Straight talk is $50/month with taxes.

$700 for phone plus around $540/year for mobile service after tax would end up at about $1,750 like u said. AT&T would be about $2,600 after $200 phone and $100/month for service....plus there are fees like $36 upgrade fee on top of $200 phone etc. so after 24 months you save around $850-$900! Plus you aren't stuck in a contract!

Good explanation. I wish Calling Mart would offer discounts on Straight talk too. then it'd be like $45-1%.
and ATT plans are even more expensive (40$ for 450 mins + 20 for txt + 30 data = 90 +15% taxes = 105 and always could be some unexpected fees) plus one could overuse 450 mins so you really need 900 mins at least. even for $50 with taxes is a very good deal.
I don't understand why not everybody does this? People could save almost 900- 1000 over 2 years, that's like 1,5 free phones every 2 years + freedom of not being on contract. it's either people don't know or stupid. I heard some people pay 130$/mo for ATT. Plus iPhone is really 250, not 200, because $200+ taxes +36 activation fee. = 250. While buying unlocked is $700 = 450$ difference. With monthly difference of 55-60$ one would pay off unlocked phone in about 8 months. So remaining 16 months *60 = $960 - that's how much people pay to ATT for getting "$200 phone"!

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Good explanation. I wish Calling Mart would offer discounts on Straight talk too. then it'd be like $45-1%.
and ATT plans are even more expensive (40$ for 450 mins + 20 for txt + 30 data = 90 +15% taxes = 105 and always could be some unexpected fees) plus one could overuse 450 mins so you really need 900 mins at least. even for $50 with taxes is a very good deal.
I don't understand why not everybody does this? People could save almost 900- 1000 over 2 years, that's like 1,5 free phones every 2 years + freedom of not being on contract. it's either people don't know or stupid. I heard some people pay 130$/mo for ATT. Plus iPhone is really 250, not 200, because $200+ taxes +36 activation fee. = 250. While buying unlocked is $700 = 450$ difference. With monthly difference of 55-60$ one would pay off unlocked phone in about 8 months. So remaining 16 months *60 = $960 - that's how much people pay to ATT for getting "$200 phone"!

ST is a good value for individual users, but not so much for family plans. I crunched the numbers, it would be far cheaper to stay on at&t with my 4 lines and 28% fan discount. Furthermore each of my lines is eligible for iPhone upgrade every 18 months, and I sell the old iPhones for $400+ each so that means I am being paid to upgrade iPhones every 18 months further lowering the monthly bill rate.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
ST is a good value for individual users, but not so much for family plans. I crunched the numbers, it would be far cheaper to stay on at&t with my 4 lines and 28% fan discount. Furthermore each of my lines is eligible for iPhone upgrade every 18 months, and I sell the old iPhones for $400+ each so that means I am being paid to upgrade iPhones every 18 months further lowering the monthly bill rate.
what is your monthly bill?

----------

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/walmart/

Slickdeals says if you input Oregon address then no taxes plus use 2% cashback from Fatwallet. so 44.10$ final cost.

yeah but i wouldn't call that very ethical to save a few dollars.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Everything sounds so good so far...why hasn't anyone from ATT switching to this since it is much more affordable and with the same coverage as well...

on that note, how's the service in New York, anyone using it at the moment?

Terrible in NYC, great most other places. It's AT&T. It's going to behave exactly like AT&T.

This forum has no clue what it's talking about compared to HoFo. They have tons of info on it in a 50-something page thread.

The data is proxied through Chicago for network management purposes, but some of the speed tests are actually faster than AT&T, even though they have slightly higher pings due to the transport to CHI and back.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I'm on the fence with Straight Talk as I'm out of contract and have a unlocked phone. If I lived in a good coverage area for AT&T I'd switch in a heart beat - but I don't.

I'm really waiting for the next iPhone to come out to see what I want to do (switch to Verizon or T-Mobile, see how LTE works in DC on AT&T etc).

However, given that the next phone will most likely be LTE it would suck to switch out, lose my plan (I have monthly bonus of 200 minutes, 1000 texts etc that I couldn't get back if I left and came back), and switch back to get the next phone. Straight Talk does not support LTE and prob won't in the near future.

However they do support T-Mobile and I'm hoping the next iPhone will support it as Straight Talks t-mobile plans work really well from what people have been posting. That might be a good happy medium.....

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
I'm on the fence with Straight Talk as I'm out of contract and have a unlocked phone. If I lived in a good coverage area for AT&T I'd switch in a heart beat - but I don't.

I'm really waiting for the next iPhone to come out to see what I want to do (switch to Verizon or T-Mobile, see how LTE works in DC on AT&T etc).

However, given that the next phone will most likely be LTE it would suck to switch out, lose my plan (I have monthly bonus of 200 minutes, 1000 texts etc that I couldn't get back if I left and came back), and switch back to get the next phone. Straight Talk does not support LTE and prob won't in the near future.

However they do support T-Mobile and I'm hoping the next iPhone will support it as Straight Talks t-mobile plans work really well from what people have been posting. That might be a good happy medium.....

At&T sucks in DC? That's kinda weird. I'm in Annapolis and AT&T is excellent here. I'm loving straight talk so far.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
At&T sucks in DC? That's kinda weird. I'm in Annapolis and AT&T is excellent here. I'm loving straight talk so far.

Yea I'm either downtown or in Arlington and rarely get above 1mbit at peak times - with several tests at edge speeds or less. Closer into the city the network is just bogged down during work hours.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yea I'm either downtown or in Arlington and rarely get above 1mbit at peak times - with several tests at edge speeds or less. Closer into the city the network is just bogged down during work hours.

Ok, that makes more sense. You said coverage before, but network quality is a much more common issue in more urban areas.

Since you have so much grandfathered, and are interested in LTE, I'd say stay on AT&T. I'm guessing you don't ride the Metro, since that's a Verizon stronghold in DC?

Get a carrier that works. If AT&T doesn't work well, get a RAZR MAXX on Verizon or something.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
guys how is the data speed? Do you guys see anything you want to share that you dont like?

I am about to go order mine.

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
anyone now to setup data only go to apn page and choose the correct profile but for pictures message ?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
guys how is the data speed? Do you guys see anything you want to share that you dont like?

I am about to go order mine.
here is what i get in Dallas most of the time. Sometimes throughout the day it can be pretty slow though.

right now it's 1.93 down/.87 up

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    411.3 KB · Views: 260

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
I have been using ST on my iP4S for a week now and the data, texts is useless. The only time data seems to function is late night. Despite having 3 bars in my apartment, iMessage does not work and even loading up Google takes forever. I have the correct APN settings and have tried even restoring the phone.

I also don't feel comfortable knowing there is a 100mb limit per day. So today in the morning none of my iMessages were going through and my email was not working properly, I just gave up and called AT&T to sign up for service.

Good luck to you guys.

Last edited:

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
I have been using ST on my iP4S for a week now and the data, texts is useless. The only time data seems to function is late night. Despite having 3 bars in my apartment, iMessage does not work and even loading up Google takes forever. I have the correct APN settings and have tried even restoring the phone.

I also don't feel comfortable knowing there is a 100mb limit per day. So today in the morning none of my iMessages were going through and my email was not working properly, I just gave up and called AT&T to sign up for service.

Good luck to you guys.

what state are you from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.