Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
What are you guys using? I want to get one for my new 13" MBA. I found a US seller on eBay that has 13" silicone covers in a number of different colors for $3.99 shipped. Thinking of going with that...is there a high quality better option out there? Thanks!

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have always used iskin keyboard covers, but they are much more expensive.

Iskin.com

s1ns

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
never ever use keyboard cover. the speaker in macbook air is underneath the keyboard unlike the macbook pro if you are using keyboard covers you are covering the speakers if you know what i mean.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
never ever use keyboard cover. the speaker in macbook air is underneath the keyboard unlike the macbook pro if you are using keyboard covers you are covering the speakers if you know what i mean.
The speakers are not under the keyboard. They're on the sides. A keyboard cover will have little or no effect on sound.

DgZKZMaOKnKGsecb.standard
MyIDLkRys6tjjOy6.standard

ericDylan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
I know it will not affect the sound substantially, but i am fairly certain that the computer uses the keyboard to vent off heat. A cover might interfere with this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know it will not affect the sound substantially, but i am fairly certain that the computer uses the keyboard to vent off heat. A cover might interfere with this.
Not true. There is no air intake or exhaust through the keyboard on any Mac notebook, and there never has been. Both intake and exhaust is through the vents in the rear, which allows venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
WTBDHrUFidEXI1d4.large

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Moshi and Rearth USA make some good covers. I use them only when I am on a plane (with the cramped quarters, a liquid spill is more likely), but have used both and they work for me. The Rearth ones usually sell for about $15. Moshi for about $25.

Note that some of the ultra-cheap covers are a bit thicker and thus touch the screen and leave marks when the lid is closed. The Rearth and Moshi ones are thin enough to avoid this.

jmthigpen

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Charleston, SC
Don't use a silly keyboard cover or be OCD about the keys turning shiny! The machine is beautifully designed don't cover it up with cheap silicon!

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
I've been using the Moshi ones for a long time now, on my 2010 MBA and now the 2011. They work well and can be cleaned, because they do get dirty after awhile. I'm always eating stuff around my laptop and having the cover definitely helps in not getting crap stuck in the keys, although I really do like typing and the look of the laptop without the cover.

With the Moshi you can still get dirty marks on the screen with the laptop closed.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Don't ruin a beautiful machine with a cheap and nasty piece of silicon over it.

I was sitting beside a mother at the genius bar who brought her MacBook in for the third time because it had an "accidental" spill. When I suggest she invet in a keyboard cover she said, "my homeowners insurance pays for it". I guess she didn't want to "ruin" her machine with a "cheap and nasty piece of silicon" either.

ModestMoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2011
Cambridge, UK
I bought that 0.1mm keyboard protector from eBay, its superb quality, fits very very accurate for £4.99.
I did use it for about 4days and I understood it feels like old laptop with sand under it when typing, so I threw it away.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I was sitting beside a mother at the genius bar who brought her MacBook in for the third time because it had an "accidental" spill. When I suggest she invet in a keyboard cover she said, "my homeowners insurance pays for it". I guess she didn't want to "ruin" her machine with a "cheap and nasty piece of silicon" either.

not sure why you resurrected a >2 month old thread to comment but since there's 2 sides to every coin, I immediately got a keyboard protector when i purchased my 11" mba for the sole reason to protect against spills, and exactly 2 months later, I spilled a quarter cup of milk over my mba where it ended up just running along the bezel and seeping into the grills, immediately shutting it off and costing me $755 to repair it (thank god amex protection covered it). This just got me to realize that it just takes a specific type of spill to render a keyboard cover useless.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
AMEX Purchase Protection and Return Protection are the two best features of their cards - IMO.

mba123

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
Just to add my thoughts to this thread, having used a silicon keyboard cover for a few months on 2012 air, in case anyone is thinking of buying one.

They do affect sound - imo in a significant way. Volume is quieter and sound is very mono with cover on as opposed to stereo with the cover off.

Heat - under light use i.e. browser, word etc, heat is fine with cover on but under heavier use the keyboard does become warm. Yes this does happen without the cover also, but the keys do seem to cool slightly when cover is taken off. Whether this hinders ventilation i'm not sure.

Typing - not a good experience at all. The keyboard feels awful and is much harder to type on.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I've been using the Moshi ones for a long time now, on my 2010 MBA and now the 2011. They work well and can be cleaned, because they do get dirty after awhile. I'm always eating stuff around my laptop and having the cover definitely helps in not getting crap stuck in the keys, although I really do like typing and the look of the laptop without the cover.

With the Moshi you can still get dirty marks on the screen with the laptop closed.

I have a Moshi on my '11-11". It is by far the best looking cover, can't even really tell it is there. I previously had an iSkin on my 15" MBP. I love that it's washable and you quickly get used to typing with it in place. It doesn't affect sound or temperature on my MBA, either.

Aug 4, 2012
Not true. There is no air intake or exhaust through the keyboard on any Mac notebook, and there never has been. Both intake and exhaust is through the vents in the rear, which allows venting with the lid open or closed (for operating in clamshell mode). There is a solid panel under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful airflow.
WTBDHrUFidEXI1d4.large

What you say is true about where the MBA vents however...heat rises and if you hold your hand just an 1/8" above the keyboard you can feel the heat. I'd NEVER cover the keyboard.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
I'd rather deal with the extra heat, if it does indeed have a negative impact on thermals, than to deal with a dead laptop in the case of a liquid spill. $25 insurance and peace of mind on a $1000 laptop is cheap insurance. As for the feel of the keyboard and typing experience, yes while I do agree that it's not as nice to type on, it doesn't bother me enough to risk any liquid spills.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What you say is true about where the MBA vents however...heat rises and if you hold your hand just an 1/8" above the keyboard you can feel the heat. I'd NEVER cover the keyboard.
You can feel the heat on the bottom, as well. Heat radiates in all directions and is transferred quite effectively through the aluminum body. A keyboard cover has very little impact on heat dissipation. Countless Mac owners have used them for years with absolutely no problems. Your Mac will automatically shut down if temps get too high.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
not sure why you resurrected a >2 month old thread to comment but since there's 2 sides to every coin, I immediately got a keyboard protector when i purchased my 11" mba for the sole reason to protect against spills, and exactly 2 months later, I spilled a quarter cup of milk over my mba where it ended up just running along the bezel and seeping into the grills, immediately shutting it off and costing me $755 to repair it (thank god amex protection covered it). This just got me to realize that it just takes a specific type of spill to render a keyboard cover useless.

look at me, i'm resurrecting an almost 2 year old thread. why? because people search the forums for these kinds of topics and this particular thread happens to be the top returned search on google for "best skin macbook air"
how many threads on the front page are questions that have been asked 8 million times already? without even looking the good money is on at least half.

regarding your post itself, a "quarter cup of milk" is still a substantial amount of liquid!

that's one and a half of these:
15001200_150.jpg

and milk no less, a better conductor than water. not to mention "grosser"

that skin may not have saved your computer but there is no way you would have been better off without it. 60 mL of liquid right onto your computer is almost certainly going to be pretty deadly with or without a skin.

sorry that happened, glad you got it fixed - 'm still putting skins on my machines, hopefully you are too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.