Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Well I am a windows user and love the font in the Finder bar in Macs...

But I like Myriad Pro, Lucida MAC, Lucida Grande, Eyechart, and Trebuchet MS.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Serif - Garamond Pro
Sans - Myriad Pro

On windows (or... stuff I need to be compatable)
I use Century Gothic for excel and garamond regular (yuck, but eh) for word. Century Gothic is less readible than arial, but at least it's stock with windows and I think the little boy has charm.

Lucida Grande is on my fallen fonts list. It used to be my favorite. Now I sorta avoid it.... except that I use it as my first choice font in all my web papges.

L

Lau

For the main body of text I like Univers, Rotis Sans or Frutiger.

Also, at the moment I have a slight Clarendon obsession.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
My current favorite:

Berthold Cosmos. Cool font.

I also love Myriad Pro: but do not use it; it's EVERYWHERE since Apple adopted it.

Just like Apple Garamond before that....

Oh well: most Graphics professionals follow Apple I suppose.

My friend created a font I use quite a bit: it's a form of Stone and it is very pretty. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have a sans font which I like best for both print and screen: Skia

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 342

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'm very much a fan of clean san-serifs, such as Helvetica, Univers (55 and 65), Avant Garde and Akzidenz Grotesk.

When it comes to serifs, well Bembo is probably my favourite, clean and elegant, and nicely weighted.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Geneva.

I have dreams at night about Geneva. It's off in the distance (9 point) in white with a simple blue background (kind of similar to the Panther Aqua desktop I suppose.) It calls out to me... "mad jew, mad jew..." and then it's voice trails off into the distance. It's a very disconcerting dream. I think I'm in love. :)

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
I'm no designer, but do take quite a bit of interest in typography. (To the point where at the moment, my entertainment on the bus is looking at shop signs and seeing if I know the name of the font…)

Anyway, my favourites are attached (Optima, Apple Garamond Light, Skia, Futura.)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 474

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
As someone who works with fonts and deals with fonts, including other peoples fonts, just let me say that I hate them with the blinding white heat of a thousand suns. They are the bane of my existence. I have seen atrocities on typesetting caused by fonts. Gratuitous ligatures with poor kerning around them causing the read to come to a full stop mid word.

I have seen bastardized Helvetica's that claimed to be normal Helvetica, same name, same foundry, same id, radically different kerning. Indistinguishable in the software.

I've seen machines with 4 versions of Helvetica and which one you got was the luck of the draw.

Every time I hear "Its only Helvetica" I want to kill someone.

Then there are all the little specialized fonts. What do you mean you don't have ITC Franklin Belbo Gothic Extra Semi-Bold Oblique?

The closest thing there is to a font that I like is Monaco.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Skia
Avenir

are two of my favorites right now - but it changes.

Most of the time its a san serif, though

D

makisushi

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Northern VA
I am probably talking out my butt, so take this with a grain of salt.
Technically you are talking about Typefaces.
Fonts are the different styles within each typeface (bold, italics, condensed...).

I was a heavy user of the Helvetica typeface, especially the Helvetica condensed family.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
My favorite typeface that I actually use is Futura. My overall favorite, which I don't actually use because it costs so damn much, is Meta (which Trebuchet MS resembles). Some of the new Microsoft fonts (Segoe, etc.) look really nice, too.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Interstate Black Condensed and Interstate Bold Condensed have really grown on me. We use them at work. For a serif font, Globe Madison Light is nice.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Quick question

I should put this in the Web Design forum, but this is close enough to this topic.

From what I understand there are only a limited amount of fonts that can be used in web browsers. So why is it that I (and others here) can use other fonts that are the typical "web fonts"?

Like Century Gothic isn't a typical "web font" (at least I don't think it is). So could you code in the HTML any font you want and if that person has that font on their system it can be viewed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.