Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MICGadget posts a roundup of circulating iPad 3 rumors, and also includes a few better side-by-side shots of what is believed to be the new iPad 3 back enclosure and the iPad 2 one.

taper.jpg

Seen on top of each other, the iPad 3 does appear to have a more gradual taper to the edges than the iPad 2. The difference in size, however, is said to be minimal but seems exaggerated in this shot above due to the staggered positioning of the casings. The next shot shows that the difference in thickness is only 1-1.5mm, with the iPad 3 enclosure being slightly thicker than the iPad 2.

thick.jpg

MICGadget also confirms that the iPad 3 camera lens hole is "noticeably larger", suggesting that there has been some improvement in the camera quality, though they seem to question whether or not it will make it all the way to 8 Megapixels as claimed by one publication.

These same iPad 3 enclosures have been seen in the hands of many sites now. It's not uncommon for parts and enclosures to leak out of Apple's supply chain as production of new products ramp up. The iPad 3 is believed to be in manufacturing at this time with an expected announcement date on March 7th.

Article Link: Side by Side Photos of iPad 2 and iPad 3 Casing Shows Gradual Taper and Slightly More Thickness

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
I think I speak for everyone here, release the damn thing already Apple! :p or at least sell us a KIT!!

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Much better than the pic posted the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the real thing.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I was worried hearing the 3 would be thicker than the 2, but if the 2nd photo is any indication, I'm okay with the casing. I don't know what to make of that first picture.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I was worried hearing the 3 would be thicker than the 2, but if the 2nd photo is any indication, I'm okay with the casing. I don't know what to make of that first picture.

they are staggered, which makes it look weird.

6905639329_02f36383c1_z.jpg

arn

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
How has Apple not killed off everyone involved in the theft of the casing yet? Clearly things have changed since Jobs' passed away...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How has Apple not killed off everyone involved in the theft of the casing yet? Clearly things have changed since Jobs' passed away...

I guess cause millions of these things are rolling off assembly lines in China. Hard to keep track of every one.

And it's not a new phenomenon.

arn

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Thanks Arn for the better pic. You should put that on the story... looks much better.

iPad 3 = My first iPad. Can't wait two more weeks!!!!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

My bet is the change in taper was done to correct the one flaw that I immediately noticed while in line on launch day of the iPad 2. The smart cover doesn't stick when folded around the back. To get it to stick they needed to add a magnet to hold it open without setting off the hall effect sensor. Oh and also it will make it feel thinner in the hand even though it's thicker than the iPad 2

lbjsong

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
yes!

love the rumours that keep popping out everyday.
Thank You Arn.

Credit Card Pulled out and put under the monitor :D

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
I wonder what made it marginally thicker, the camera (more pixels?), bigger battery (for certain new, slightly more power-hungry components), or new screen (is it thicker than the iPad2's)? Or some combination of the 3? Too many questions at once?? :confused:

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
I think if it is a little lighter than the iPad 2 (even just a couple grams or so) then it is a big win. I kind of like the more tapered edge even though it is a blatant ruse by Apple to keep it from "looking" thicker than the iPad 2. Clever though. I think it will fit better in the hand than the 2.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I wonder what made it marginally thicker, the camera (more pixels?), bigger battery (for certain new, slightly more power-hungry components), or new screen (is it thicker than the iPad2's)? Or some combination of the 3? Too many questions at once?? :confused:

If the rumours are true then the screen made it bigger and maybe battery.

But that above picture why does the iPad 3 not have a speaker has it moved?

I'm not sure this one is real as the last leaked imagine shows an iPad 3 looking more silver. This one looks like the iPad 1 material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.