Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster is out with a new report today citing data from research firm NPD on U.S. sales of Macs. According to the data, Apple's U.S. Mac sales were up only 1% year-over-year in January, tracking behind predictions that have called for roughly 20% year-over-year growth for the full quarter. Munster believes, however, that continued strength in international markets and the potential for new Mac updates such as a refreshed MacBook Air near end of the quarter will likely help Apple close strongly to meet expectations.
We have analyzed domestic NPD retail data for the first month of the March quarter, which is up 1% y/y. The early data appears soft on a y/y basis; however, last quarter actual Mac growth outpaced NPD by 14 percentage points. Also, we believe Apple may launch new MacBook Airs as early as March. Net-net, we believe this early data suggests Mac sales in the range of 4.4m-4.6m, or 17%-22% y/y growth (we believe Street consensus is 4.5m Macs in the quarter and we are also at 4.5m).
With historical evidence showing overall growth outpacing NPD's U.S. data by 14 percentage points, Munster believes that Apple's actual worldwide Mac growth for January could be in the 15% range, close enough to the 20% target for the full quarter to give a Apple a reasonable chance at making up the difference with a strong finish.

mac_lineup_nov11.jpg

Piper Jaffray's independent data on iPhone sales for January are tracking toward full-quarter sales of 32-34 million, a figure that would help overcome any softness on the Mac side. iPod sales trends remain in line with predictions of continued declines as customers shift from the aging iPod line to iPhones and iPads.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Demand Soft in January as Customers Wait for Updated Models

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It is a pretty bad time to get new hardware with Ivy Bridge, Trinity, Kepler, and GCN products still on the horizon.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is a pretty bad time to get new hardware with Ivy Bridge, Trinity, Kepler, and GCN products still on the horizon.

Couldn't agree more. I picked up a Mini last summer as a stop gap, but I am really hoping for something with a touch more HP, and the new hardware.

Figured since I have waited this long (2008 was my last big Mac purchase), I may as well get something with the new architecture.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I'm waiting for the new iMacs, the minute they come out I'm ordering a 27" with SSD

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The age of the Mac Pro is more than embarrassing at this point... I'm very glad I didn't wait around and went for a fully-loaded 27-inch iMac. :)

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Yep, it's a waiting game for many.

Am looking forward to seeing some new MBAs/MBPs one day 'soon'. Will see what the offerings are as I don't absolutely need a new notebook...

But I would like something with a bigger matte screen than the (2009) 13" MBP I have now. Lighter too would be good. The current 13" MBA comes close, but the average graphics and limited RAM are holding it back, for my needs anyway. :eek:

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
iMac Redesign

Speaking of iMac, will the next update be a complete redesign? I'm holding out for a minority report-style minimalist, transparent glass design. Current design is way too thick, bezel needs to go, etc. Come on, Apple, take my money!

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Pretty much expected. We are past record refresh waits for Mac Pros and getting close for iMacs. MBP were the last to be updated, but even that was a pretty minor speed bump - it has now been over a year since a major update.

sparks05

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

34 million iPhones this quarter? Holiday quarter all over again.... Wow, that's more than I expected. Apple shares can't stay down at 500 with sales like this... Too much cash flow!

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Come on Mac Pro Update... or 15 inch macbook pro air.

I'd get an imac but I already have a 27 inch screen.

I think the MacBookPro 13" is gone and done. I don't know of anyone with one.

I think what you'll see is the the 11-13" is going to be the Mac Air and the 15"-17" will be the Mac Book Pro or Mac Air Pro.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I think the MacBookPro 13" is gone and done. I don't know of anyone with one.

I think what you'll see is the the 11-13" is going to be the Mac Air and the 15"-17" will be the Mac Book Pro or Mac Air Pro.

Oh your right! You don't know of anyone with a 13" MBP so they must be collecting dust on the shelves... or perhaps you could take a walk on a college campus. You see more 13" MBPs than 15/17s or MBAs by far.

yAak

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
Diablo 3 hasn't come out yet...

Diablo 3 hasn't come out yet, so I don't need to buy an MBP yet. :D

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Oh your right! You don't know of anyone with a 13" MBP so they must be collecting dust on the shelves... or perhaps you could take a walk on a college campus. You see more 13" MBPs than 15/17s or MBAs by far.

Oh...here's a thought.

Those people on college campuses with 13" MacBookPro's don't need them. They are overkill for those journalism majors, etc even with the capabilities they have in the 13".

In the graphics/post world, I have never seen a 13" MacBookPro. 15" & 17" only due to the 13" being worthless due to the lesser video card and processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.