Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

KTVZ.com has received confirmation from Apple that the company plans to build a new data center on a 160-acre lot in Prineville, Oregon. The land was reportedly purchased for $5.6 million from Crook County. A February 15th filing first identified Apple, Inc. as the purchaser of the land, which Apple later confirmed:
Apple spokeswoman Kristin Huguet confirmed Tuesday that "we purchased the land and it's for a data center," but could not speak to details beyond that, other than to say it will be a "green" facility.
facebook_oregon_data_center.jpg

Facebook's data center in Prineville, Oregon
Word of the possibility of a new Apple data center in Oregon was first reported in December when it was revealed that Apple was in discussions over the location. The new data center would be near a recently opened Facebook data center in the same area.

Apple has been working hard to expand its data center capacity to handle iCloud and other services, having invested $1 billion in the North Carolina center and revealing a master plan that could see the size of that facility double in the future. Apple also maintains a smaller data center in Newark, California and has been building out minor additional capacity in Santa Clara, California near its corporate headquarters in Cupertino.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Plans for Another Large Data Center in Prineville, Oregon

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Apple has big plans for the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if expanded cloud services has something to do with an upcoming Apple TV.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Apple has big plans for the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if expanded cloud services has something to do with an upcoming Apple TV.

That, and Apple might be going into search and maps to get away from using google products on iOS.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
I hope there is enough space there to store my TV shows and movies.
It's the missing link to removing my need for large hard drives all together.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
That, and Apple might be going into search and maps to get away from using google products on iOS.

Exactly. From the amount of jobs this new facility will create to the new possibilities it'll provide for Apple, everything about this report is awesome.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Keep in mind that it will take years to build and come online. This is either to support existing cloud stuff or it's part of something super awesome that we don't yet know about.

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
The data center in NC employs less than 100 people. Data centers aren't the huge employers people think they are.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I believe much of this is for expanded TV show content as well as 1080P availability for TV shows and Movies.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
It's sunny in Australia and we have good natural gas supply.
I'm sure a good site for an Apple Data could be found.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Redundant data centers is standard for what Apple planned for iCloud. I'd expect Apple to build several more to alleviate the load and handle the requests they will need for existing services, never mind future services.

dnask8

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The most benefit the area will see is the construction. Only a few people work at the one in Maiden.

Yeah the construction part is the biggie. Had some buddies that working on the FB one there and they had solid work for awhile. Looked at the jobs at that one and I am pretty sure fewer than 50 people work at it. So not many jobs year round but the construction part will be great and more and more companies will probably start looking at the area too. Data centers payin' it forward in Central Oregon!

jbuck777

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
The Great White North
KTVZ.com has received confirmation from Apple that the company plans to build a new data center on a 160-acre lot in Prineville, Oregon. The land was reportedly purchased for $5.6 million form Crook County. A February 15th filing first identified Apple, Inc. as the purchaser of the land, which Apple later confirmed:

Typo :)

It's exciting news, more data centers are never a bad thing.... increased capacity for new features, streamlining of current features.... potentially Siri for more devices (come out of Beta). Endless possibilities.

Last edited:

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
The most benefit the area will see is the construction. Only a few people work at the one in Maiden.

According to Wikipedia, there are 7356 people in Prineville, so even 100 jobs will make a substantial impact on the community.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Redundant data centers is standard for what Apple planned for iCloud. I'd expect Apple to build several more to alleviate the load and handle the requests they will need for existing services, never mind future services.

And maybe, sometime in the future, actually host Icloud at Apple datacenters rather than the current situation where Icloud is hosted by Microsoft and Amazon.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The data center in NC employs less than 100 people. Data centers aren't the huge employers people think they are.

Construction workers to build it.
Landscapers to maintain the grounds.
Service/Maintenance jobs.
Utilities income.
Taxes paid to the State/County/City.
Other companies may be attracted to the area (Facebook recommended it to Apple).
On and on...

You can't measure the economic impact on the number of jobs alone.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Cool. Now how about an Apple Store in Central Oregon?
Who am I kidding? That'll never happen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.