Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zep1977

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Good news. This probably created more jobs than that whole $850,000,000,000 "stimulus package" created. Bravo Apple!

:apple:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That, and Apple might be going into search and maps to get away from using google products on iOS.

That would be nice, but it might alienate people. They already avoid iWork because they think it'll not be good for their work, but I use it at a Windows-using school and have no problems with it (it's actually way better).

They just want to stay with their proven companies.

----------

Good news. This probably created more jobs than that whole $850,000,000,000 "stimulus package" created. Bravo Apple!

:apple:

:rolleyes:
Companies triumph over Democrats again :D

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Thats weird, I just had a dream, and in my dream I told Apple to be smart and stretch the data farms out, so I'll do it here as well. Apple, don't be stupid. put a server farm in Europe or Asian or something.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Apple has big plans for the cloud. I wouldn't be surprised if expanded cloud services has something to do with an upcoming Apple TV.

too bad the opposition of the Australian government are blocking fibre internet in Australia... I am paying $130 a month for 1500k... Can't even stream 480p on that.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Construction workers to build it.
Landscapers to maintain the grounds.
Service/Maintenance jobs.
Utilities income.
Taxes paid to the State/County/City.
Other companies may be attracted to the area (Facebook recommended it to Apple).
On and on...

You can't measure the economic impact on the number of jobs alone.
We have been through this before with the Maiden, NC facility.

The construction workers probably already have jobs elsewhere in the state building corporate facilities. They will work on the Apple site, and once that project is done, they will go work somewhere else. It's not like it will generate much jobs for locals. It's not like a town of 7000 people will have a plethora of construction workers who are skilled at building world-class data centers. Yeah, there should be enough guys to frame a nice house or something, but it's not like there are a bunch of high-tech construction workers in Prineville twiddling their thumbs.

As for landscapers, the facility is not public. The landscaping will be designed for minimal maintenance. It's not going to have huge flowerbeds or a big lawn. This will probably be a more steady paycheck for a half dozen guys.

Service/maintenance: again, this is not a public facility. My guess is that there will be a couple dozen people on site at any time. The housekeeping staff would need to vacuum a few corridors, maybe clean a break room and a few lavatories.

Utilities income would go to the utilities provider, not to the town.

Taxes? Well, someone was paying taxes on the property before. Apple will pay taxes on the same property, maybe at a slightly higher rate, but that may not be a major impact on the local economy. After all, it's 160 acres.

Attracting other companies? Maybe. But remember that these are data centers. The one in Maiden employs less than 100 regular employees, so of whom are commuting from a far distance.

It's not like this facility is going to build new schools, hire more cops, create enough demand for more public transportation, a grocery store, a shopping mall, etc.

Last edited:

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Redundant data centers is standard for what Apple planned for iCloud. I'd expect Apple to build several more to alleviate the load and handle the requests they will need for existing services, never mind future services.

Yes it's far more likely to be something boring like this.

Zimmer62943

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
too bad the opposition of the Australian government are blocking fibre internet in Australia... I am paying $130 a month for 1500k... Can't even stream 480p on that.

I live in country australia, adsl1, i get 5000k speeds from typical copper line, and pay $49, i think your being ripped off.
Also, i think you'll find its rudd/gillards failing here, they deployed the fibre-to-home scheme and its a complete mess, the opposition is making it difficult but they have no control over it.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I can see Apple pushing for independence from Google esp. With X number of new iOS (+ML) devices pushing forward, the strain on services must be getting massive. Plus they need redundancy.

I'm surprised they haven't made a data centre off shore too. Must be on the cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Attracting other companies? Maybe. But remember that these are data centers. The one in Maiden employs less than 100 regular employees, so of whom are commuting from a far distance.

100 employees is a lot. There's a multiplier effect, even for those commuting from a distance.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
And the tea party continues to flail....

Sadly, the Republican party has a lot of idiots or trolls or people who don't know how to regulate their speeches. Santorum is probably in big trouble now for his troll speech about Obama.

Glad to be defined in neither party :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
100 employees is a lot. There's a multiplier effect, even for those commuting from a distance.
No, it is not, particularly because of the type of facility.

This is a 24x7 non-public facility that operates every day of the year. With weekends, vacation, sick time, etc. plus the fact that there are probably three shifts (day, swing, graveyard), there are probably no more than 20-25 people working at any given time, and most of whom are working in hours that aren't related to nearby retail businesses.

Heck, there's a good chance that there might only be 5-10 or so bodies on site, with a lot of people working remotely (and willing to hop in a car if something seriously broke). Let's face it, if you're the senior Oracle DBA and you've wedged the server (unlikely), you can always get some Level 1 Sysadmin to reboot the hardware. If something really goes awry, Oracle DBA will drive to the facility and arrive around the same time as the Oracle system engineer arrives.

As a non-public facility, this location does not need the ancillary services or businesses that a public facility would attract. It's not like there are hundreds of visitors per day.

Let's face it, if this was a public location (retail store, restaurant, museum, whatnot) employing a hundred people during normal business hours, yeah, a hundred employees might actually be significant.

But it's not that type of location.

Heck, this place won't even generate local sales tax since it's not a retail business operation.

A small hotel would have more impact on the local community over a data center.

Apple's data center's largest impact on the local economy in the long run will probably be a few extra property tax dollars.

The benefits to local business will be mostly tied to the construction phase of the project. In a one-time deal, one local company will probably score the contract in paving the road to the facility. For a short while, a roach coach will probably service the construction workers on the job site. After the facility is complete, there will be very little human activity at the site itself.

Last edited:

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
The data center in NC employs less than 100 people. Data centers aren't the huge employers people think they are.

That's true but Prineville has maybe 8,000 residents. 100 new jobs can make a huge impact, even if that means that 1/2 of them are commuting from Bend.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
"Bring back jobs to America! Stop outsourcing! Build things here! Vote for me and I'll make it come true!"

"Meh, it is only a few jobs. It's not a big deal."

America.

JTA60288

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2009
Henderson, Nevada
Maybe this one will bring more jobs than the one in Maiden, NC. Who knows? But I wonder how difficult it is to get a job at this new data center when it opens (especially since I'm planning on working in that field a few years from now). I'm cautiously optimistic.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I live in country australia, adsl1, i get 5000k speeds from typical copper line, and pay $49, i think your being ripped off.
Also, i think you'll find its rudd/gillards failing here, they deployed the fibre-to-home scheme and its a complete mess, the opposition is making it difficult but they have no control over it.

if the opposition had their way we would be on the crappy wireless. Where I live I hardly even get a good mobile phone signal I'd hate to know the dropout and low speeds on the oppositions idea of internet. I live in Portugal during Australia's winter and on fibre there is ridiculously good.

my plan is with iinet 200gb a month 1.5mb with phone usage included I think it is $80 without phone not sure lol

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I feel a bit stupid now... I thought Apple used Microsoft's and/or Amazon's data center as well...

Thanks for clearing that up! :D

Yeah, but it's confusing, I remember them saying somebody had an offiste backup, and I think that was Amazon, and until recently, Windows Azure wasn't licensable, you had to use THEIR server cluster, and you simply bought server time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.