Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I face the same issue, no graphic acceleration on ML. I have a Nvidia Geforce 7300, I tried the 10.7.3 ktexts. I wonder if I should bother with getting them from 10.7. Will that even make a difference?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I got the 10.7.0 kexts from installing in a VM as all my Macs are at 10.7.3. However, WindowsServer crashes regardless and I can only get the MB to start by removing the kexts.

This is a Macbook 2,1. You can only get the GMA950.kext and the GMA950VADriver.bundle from the 10.7.0 installation media. The final item, the GMA950GLDriver.bundle (typo in the original guide) seems only to be created on actual installation.

Then I am lost. I thought some older kext where loading fine. Has anyone been able to make the GMA 950 HW acceleration working? I did installing this kexts:

http://www.osx86.net/view/2141-gma950_+_lion.html

All of them. I do get the HW acceleration, but most videos and some pictures are blank. Mission Control thumbnails are messed up as well, but that could be ML since I know even supported systems have graphics glitches. Still that isn't a big deal. But the blank videos are. Any idea?

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Ok, I've found out. The 10.7.3 kexts DO work:

For Intel GMA GPUs one needs to install the following kexts:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Or the equivalent for the X3100. What was missing in the guide was the Integrated Frame Buffer. That could apply to ATI or NVIDIA GPUs as well.For example for ATI there is the file:

/System/Library/Extensions/ATIFramebuffer.kext

It may need to get replaced, I don't know.

I copied the 5 files straight from my 10.7.3 internal disc after having removed the previous ones in ML and it is using the HW acceleration. The problems with the blank videos still remain and Safari gets banana in full screen mode. Also the is pretty slow showing menus, going into Launchpad etc (Mission Control is fast enough, instead. But glitched), but the HW acceleration does work.

The good news is that old kexts are loadable. The bad news is that they only partially work. If anyone finds better kexts please share the info. Thanks.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Ok, I added the two missing components and now I have accelerated graphics. I cannot believe I forgot about the framebuffer kext. No artefacts, slowdowns or distortions and videos seem to play as per normal. What I don't get is WiFi - the same problem on the same machine I had with 10.7.3. That is easily fixed with a downgrading of the Atheros kext.

Apple removed 32bit Finder from Lion DP2 onwards, so the 32bit kernel probably disappearing in future builds of M Lion would be my guess.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
http://www.hackint0sh.org/f180/80288.htm

It's pretty easy to 'force' a kext to load at boot. Try that with the Lion 950 kext.

p.s. good luck, if you get it working it'll probably be worth a headline at all the mac sites

Omgosh, this has really become the headlines at those Mac sites.

----------

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 18 Giu 2011 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Or the equivalent for the X3100. What was missing in the guide was the Integrated Frame Buffer. That could apply to ATI or NVIDIA GPUs as well.For example for ATI there is the file:

I copied the 5 files straight from my 10.7.3 internal disc after having removed the previous ones in ML and it is using the HW acceleration. The problems with the blank videos still remain and Safari gets banana in full screen mode. Also the is pretty slow showing menus, going into Launchpad etc (Mission Control is fast enough, instead. But glitched), but the HW acceleration does work.

The good news is that old kexts are loadable. The bad news is that they only partially work. If anyone finds better kexts please share the info. Thanks.

Remember to repair permission using disk utility after installting those kexts. I used kext from 10.7.0 and they work perfectly fine :)

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi there. I have a late 2007 white macbook, id macbook3,1 with GMA x3100 integrated graphics, and was wondering if anyone has managed to successfully upgrage to ML with GMA x3100, and is it stable. I have the use of a supported mac to give this a shot, but would like to know if it's stable before trying it out.

Thanks

The guide has been modified, it doesnt require a compatible Mac now. Please refer back to post #22 !=)

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
I have a Macbook late 2007 and no success. I use the force kextload script, installed the 10.7.3 kext for X3100 with kextwizard, repaired permissions but always cl_kernels error in finder and others.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
Remember to repair permission using disk utility after installting those kexts. I used kext from 10.7.0 and they work perfectly fine :)

I did it the first time (doing another repair permission now with the 10.7.3 kexts installed) but I've always got the blank videos. They showed but without acceleration with no kexts installed. Also the top sites/history in Safari is flashing. Does it work for you? Are you using a MacBook 2,1 with GMA 950?

EDIT: I tried the kexts from Snow Leopard. Same thing. unless something is badly cached (but I also tried removing the system caches directories. They have got rebuilt but no changes) I don't what can be different on my system.

Last edited:

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
so just to clarify:

with a macpro 1,1 if you have a new GFX card, this can be run?

is the kernel in 32-bit mode?

any way to get the 64-bit kernel to run?

is there a chance they'll take the 32-bit kernel out at launch?

i've got a macpro 1,1 that i'm not going to let die!

does it need to be flashed to 2,1?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
so just to clarify:

with a macpro 1,1 if you have a new GFX card, this can be run?

is the kernel in 32-bit mode?

any way to get the 64-bit kernel to run?

is there a chance they'll take the 32-bit kernel out at launch?

i've got a macpro 1,1 that i'm not going to let die!

does it need to be flashed to 2,1?

1. Yes, anything except 7300gt
2. Yes, kernal is running in 32 bit mode, but the OS is 64bit.
3. 64bit kernal is practically useless cuz the OS itself is running in 64bit, its just like a PC with BIOS in 32bit but has no problem running 64bit Windows
4. There isnt really a reason for Apple to do that. No one can guarantee this except Apple, we'll see how it goes in the future dev release.
4. No, it doesnt require it to be flashed to MP2,1 as even MP2,1 does not have 64 bit kernal. :)

EDIT: Use the new guide post #22, forumers reported having issues with the first guide.

----------

I did it the first time (doing another repair permission now with the 10.7.3 kexts installed) but I've always got the blank videos. They showed but without acceleration with no kexts installed. Also the top sites/history in Safari is flashing. Does it work for you? Are you using a MacBook 2,1 with GMA 950?

EDIT: I tried the kexts from Snow Leopard. Same thing. unless something is badly cached (but I also tried removing the system caches directories. They have got rebuilt but no changes) I don't what can be different on my system.

Yes, its working for me. What method you use to install those kexts? KextHelper?

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007

There is no NVidia buffer. I tried it with the Integratedbuffer but no go. Finder crashes and I can't launch or use it anymore after installing the ktexts. I used ktexthelper.

macuser2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
If only the Kernel remains 32-bit

1. Yes, anything except 7300gt
2. Yes, kernal is running in 32 bit mode, but the OS is 64bit.
3. 64bit kernal is practically useless cuz the OS itself is running in 64bit,

I understand what your saying. Then the lower-level libraries would be 64-bit only. Basically everything in /usr/lib ?

Theres a simple way to check with the `lipo` command. 0 means true, 1 means the architecture is absent. Here are the results for Snow Leopard (10.6).

$ man lipo
$ lipo /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -verify_arch x86_64
$ echo $?
$ lipo /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib -verify_arch i386
$ echo $?

Note: libSystem.dylib is actually the libc.dylib.

Last edited:

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I went as far as reinstalling ML (over ML). Now even without the HW acceleration (because of no kexts installed) I get the graphical glitches and blank videos? I was pretty sure the videos were working the first time I installed it.

Also I downloaded an mp4 video from youtube, using ClickToFlash. The same video streamed in Safari or played in QuickTime is blank. I just get the audio. But if I quicklook it from Finder it plays fine?! I may trying erasing the installation and reinstalling it again from scratch..

MacBook 2,1, GMA 950.

macuser2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2012
Hi Wayne,
The updated guide is very useful. However:

a) Manually copy and install the right kext.
b) Use kexthelper (skip step 12)

Code:
MacBook2,1 - AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VLDriver.bundle
MacBook3,1 - AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle
MacPro1,1/2,1 - upgrade graphics card to GT210 or HD 5770 No kext required. 7300GT untested!

No mention about copying IntegratedFramebuffer.kext

5. Now, you need a few files from Lion installer, OSInstall.mpkg, EFI32.pkg and systemfolder

So you modified EFI32.pkg and perhaps the /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi files is also hex-edited. I could not see what you changed inside those files.

However there are some missing Board ids which were not found in your PlatformSupport.plist.

They are for even older CoreDuo -> Core2Duo upgraded Mac, with the GMA950. These Macs are the pretty much exactly the same once the CPU has been upgraded for a Core2Duo. And therefore equall-technically-capable of running Mountain Lion as the white Macbook2,1 for example.

These Board ids which were not found in your System.zip are:

"Mac-F42786C8","Mac-F4208CC8","Mac-F42DBEC8","Mac-F425BEC8","Mac-F4208EC8"

For the following Core Duo models, respectively: "iMac4,1","MacBook1,1","MacBookPro1,2","MacBookPro1,1","MacMini1,1"

Which had the following Graphics: "X1600","GMA-950","X1600","X1600","GMA-950"

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
ok, with efi 32 and 64 bit driver from 10.6.2 I have hw acceleration with my X3100 on my MB late 2007, but I can´t use smb/afp shares from NAS and my computers and a lot of applications crashes like mail, textedit...
A little progress. Thanx for support.

alan5354

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
I can't find the 2 step.

" Navigate to Shared Support and drag "InstallESD.dmg" to your desktop"

I don't see the Shared Support file.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I went as far as reinstalling ML (over ML). Now even without the HW acceleration (because of no kexts installed) I get the graphical glitches and blank videos? I was pretty sure the videos were working the first time I installed it.

Also I downloaded an mp4 video from youtube, using ClickToFlash. The same video streamed in Safari or played in QuickTime is blank. I just get the audio. But if I quicklook it from Finder it plays fine?! I may trying erasing the installation and reinstalling it again from scratch..

MacBook 2,1, GMA 950.

Don't bother reinstalling. It seems as if Apple has made amendments to Quicktime to force HW acceleration of H.264 based video onto the graphics chip, something that GMA950 is not capable of handling. I also get a blank screen in QT if I try to play a video with it. I use Movist as my standard video player with all decoding done by ffmpeg and that works, albeit with stuttering/slideshows on HD720p and above.

I can normally play HD720p with Lion on this machine without too many problems as long as I don't clog up the cpu with other tasks.

Unless someone finds a way to bypass this, my interest in getting ML to run on this Macbook is going to diminish in double quick time. I don't necessarily blame Apple for making this change, as it seems sensible given developments in gpu development and it makes dropping these older Intel/ATI equipped computers inevitable.

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
Don't bother reinstalling. It seems as if Apple has made amendments to Quicktime to force HW acceleration of H.264 based video onto the graphics chip, something that GMA950 is not capable of handling. I also get a blank screen in QT if I try to play a video with it. I use Movist as my standard video player with all decoding done by ffmpeg and that works, albeit with stuttering/slideshows on HD720p and above.

I can normally play HD720p with Lion on this machine without too many problems as long as I don't clog up the cpu with other tasks.

Unless someone finds a way to bypass this, my interest in getting ML to run on this Macbook is going to diminish in double quick time. I don't necessarily blame Apple for making this change, as it seems sensible given developments in gpu development and it makes dropping these older Intel/ATI equipped computers inevitable.

of course. It's unfortunate that old models are being dropped, but personally i've been wanting GPU accelerated general tasks for a long time.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
of course. It's unfortunate that old models are being dropped, but personally i've been wanting GPU accelerated general tasks for a long time.

Why? Apple devs aren't able to implement a simple

if GPU HW acceleration is available
then use it
else emulate/drop the HW acceleration

?

We know our GPUs suck but until now they perfectly suited the job they were made for. Which is run the GUI and show some videos or pictures. To play games I have a much better PS3 with its exclusive games (for either PS3 or console generally speaking).

----------

Yes, its working for me. What method you use to install those kexts? KextHelper?

When you say it is working fine what do you mean? That non flash videos are playing fine? Do you get the MC previews glitched as well? What about VLC? Does it crash?

Anyway I used both kext helper and the manual copy from terminal:

sudo cp -pr <kext> <destination>

And as I wrote already even without kexts the videos are blank (I am not sure anymore if they ever played, then). But since playing with ML booted from an USB disk corrupted my internal disc Lion installation (it kept hanging. So much that I had to reinstall Lion) I'd like to have some clear direction before to put my hands on it again.

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Is there any possibility to run a 64 bit kernel to avoid the crashes of many native programms. Terminal tells me i386 that means 32 bit. I used command arch=x86_64in com.apple.Boot.plist but no success. For what is the efi32?
Note: kextcache -k command no longer exists in ML. What to do to rebuild cache? Thanx.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Is there any possibility to run a 64 bit kernel to avoid the crashes of many native programms. Terminal tells me i386 that means 32 bit. I used command arch=x86_64in com.apple.Boot.plist but no success. For what is the efi32?
Note: kextcache -k command no longer exists in ML. What to do to rebuild cache? Thanx.

No there is not. There are no 64 bit kexts for the GMA X3100 and I believe the 2007 Macbooks all had 32 bit EFIs, so could not boot a 64 bit kernel, anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.