Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I think this is the appropriate forum but if not Mods please move.

I switched to a Mac about 2 months ago and have been a long time GIMP user. On Windows its great, on OSX not so much. I was hoping the next version (2.8) would be a major improvement but it seems to keep getting delayed and I'm losing hope.

I recently came across Blender (development seems much more active) and while it seems its much more geared towards animation it does say its compatible with a ton of 2D formats, including PSD's. Does anyone here use it and can you comment on it's 2D abilities? Thanks

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
About Blender, it's probably meant in the sense that it can load these formats as textures, backgrounds, and such.

Although it's not free, Pixelmator has a lot of followers, and a very reasonable price.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
+1 for Pixelmator. MUCH better than Gimp IMO.

Blender is great but its not really for your uses. As others stated the 2D stuff is for textures that are either applied directly to 3D models, or used as environments for 3D models. Its a whole different kind of application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.