Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After one false alert claiming a February 18 opening for Apple's new Amsterdam retail store, the company's first in the Netherlands, One More Thing now reports [Google translation] that the grand opening is apparently set for March 3.

apple_store_amsterdam_staircase.jpg

Glass staircase at Apple's Amsterdam retail store
The sources of the information are said to be "numerous and come from different angles", making One More Thing very confident in the opening date. Dutch media has reportedly also been notified to pencil in March 1 as a date for a media preview of the new store. The opening of the Amsterdam store will bring Apple's count of countries with retail stores to 13, with the company counting China and Hong Kong as separate markets.

Article Link: Apple's First Dutch Retail Store Reportedly Set for March 3 Opening

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I would love to be on Apple's architectural team when they are planning new stores. The free standing (not in Shopping malls) are some of the most stylish stores I've ever seen.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Sometimes I'm baffled by how they decide what goes where in the Front page/Mac/iOS blogs...

In other news, gorgeous stairs!

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I will definitely buy my iPad 3 there when it comes out.

SKTHEPREZ

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
570, PA
I must say...

Only in Amsterdam could stairs be so cool. That was def designed by a "coffee shop regular" which would explain such awesome and amazing creative prowess!

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Only in Amsterdam could stairs be so cool. That was def designed by a "coffee shop regular" which would explain such awesome and amazing creative prowess!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Most multi floored apple stores have these glass staircases???

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I will definitely buy my iPad 3 there when it comes out.

Probably going to be very busy there.

But, I agree, will be a different experience to buy inside an Apple store instead of a normal reseller.

Seems to Me there is some plastic in between the stairs and the lighting above in the picture.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
Sure it is cool to have a "official" Apple store, but in a way it also sucks.

Now all profits go straight to Apple, for the people who have been fighting an uphill battle for the past 25 years trying to keep Apple products alive in their shops, this just means unfair competition. Shops get no discounts when apple drops prices for black friday or whatever event.

Visit any of the long time Apple dealer, not an official Apple store, and ask them how Apple treats them and they will tell you they are treated like dog turds. Every time I buy a new Apple computer, the shop guys tells me they make more money on the after market RAM and Harddrives then on a 4500.- Mac Pro.

Anyway, always found it weird how they are in competition with their own dealers. But will I visit them when in Amsterdam? HELL YEAH! :eek: :cool:

The Tech Fish

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
United Kingdom
Anyway, always found it weird how they are in competition with their own dealers. But will I visit them when in Amsterdam? HELL YEAH! :eek: :cool:

Although I agree with you that it is unfortunate for the Apple Resellers, I would also like to point out that I have never once been into an Apple Reseller that even comes close to the 'feel' and service that you get in an Apple store, and I guess that is what apple is fighting, you know what they are like about their completely closed ecosystem.

Also the high street resellers are there for a very different purpose to the apple stores, while the resellers are there to sell products then and there, the apple stores are there to introduce people to the world of apple, and that strategy sure does work. For example, a while back a lot of my (female) friends started going to apple stores just so that they could use Photo Booth, and upload the pictures the FB, now, most of them have and Apple laptop (a lot of them have MacBook Pros, which I can not understand...).

A bit long winded, but my point is that whilst the Resellers are going to be hit hard by this, that is inevitable anyway, they are competing with the likes of amazon and the online apple store (and other online retailers) the apple stores aren't really competing with anything.

Joe

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
Although I agree with you that it is unfortunate for the Apple Resellers, I would also like to point out that I have never once been into an Apple Reseller that even comes close to the 'feel' and service that you get in an Apple store, and I guess that is what apple is fighting, you know what they are like about their completely closed ecosystem.

Also the high street resellers are there for a very different purpose to the apple stores, while the resellers are there to sell products then and there, the apple stores are there to introduce people to the world of apple, and that strategy sure does work. For example, a while back a lot of my (female) friends started going to apple stores just so that they could use Photo Booth, and upload the pictures the FB, now, most of them have and Apple laptop (a lot of them have MacBook Pros, which I can not understand...).

A bit long winded, but my point is that whilst the Resellers are going to be hit hard by this, that is inevitable anyway, they are competing with the likes of amazon and the online apple store (and other online retailers) the apple stores aren't really competing with anything.

Joe

I work for a reseller and I couldn't agree more with you. Resellers are about making a profit. Apple is about sharing the experience.

chatfan

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
in mah cribb yo
Perhaps I should have mentioned I'm not talking about the high street resellers that just try to push Apple products out, but the Apple service centers like LJS in the hague that spend a fortune on a cool looking modern shop, offer the best support and advice I have ever received in any shop. And they have been doing this agains the storm called Apple retail for years. I'll buy a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro there every year or so for the past 12 years. And they only sell me something if it really is what I need, otherwise they advice me to wait, which always turned out to be the best.

So I would say they don't come close to Apple stores, they passed them years ago :p If you are living in The Hague and like / love Apple, you should check them out.

Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.