Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capvideo

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
Heck, this place won't even generate local sales tax since it's not a retail business operation.

In Oregon I don’t see this as an issue. As far as I can tell, neither Oregon nor Prineville levy a sales tax.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Curious - isn't that a huge amount of money for that amount of land?

It's not like retail where you NEED to have to have a good a location, like off main street, etc... They just need power, and reasonable proximity to data hubs..

Yahoo set up a data center in a little corner of western new york about twenty miles from my home - and I'd never even heard of the town before the deal was announced.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
This is great. Live by Prineville, and it's good to know people are gonna finally get some more work.

Yes, but if reports about Apple's other data center are accurate, they don't actually hire very many people. But some is better than none and they'll also be the temporary construction jobs. And even a small number of people need to buy supplies, presumably from local merchants and they order food, rent/buy houses, pay taxes if they live in that town, etc.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Curious - isn't that a huge amount of money for that amount of land?

It's not like retail where you NEED to have to have a good a location, like off main street, etc... They just need power, and reasonable proximity to data hubs..

Yahoo set up a data center in a little corner of western new york about twenty miles from my home - and I'd never even heard of the town before the deal was announced.

Bend/Redmond, OR is a pretty pricey place. Also, no details of the deal are known. Perhaps the city of Prineville will provide utilities to the site. Depending on where the site is, that might be quite expensive.

Bowhuntress

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Apple jobs is a joke in Prineville

Construction workers to build it.
Landscapers to maintain the grounds.
Service/Maintenance jobs.
Utilities income.
Taxes paid to the State/County/City.
Other companies may be attracted to the area (Facebook recommended it to Apple).
On and on...

You can't measure the economic impact on the number of jobs alone.

Yeah sure. I live in Prineville. Facebook ONLY hired contractors if they were Union. This left out every contractor to work on the facility from Prineville. So it got sourced out to other cities.
Facebook only employees 19 people.
Facebook got a deal with crook county - 20 year TAX Free. No taxes going to the community for 20 Years.....
So I really doubt this will do anything but take up our pretty land with these damn huge buildings of data centers.
know the facts.. The supposed,y American jobs is little at best. With back room deals at the county.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.