Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German site iFun.de reports [Google translation] that has it has received information from a source "to be taken seriously" claiming that the iPad 3 will debut there on Friday, March 23.

taper.jpg

No other details on the claim are offered, although the report does conflict with an Asian report from earlier today claiming that the iPad 3 would begin appearing in Europe in April following a mid-March launch in the United States.

With no other information to go on and uncertain reliability for the report's source, we hesitate to put too much weight on the claim, but we are noting it for interest and discussion.

Article Link: iPad 3 Launching in Germany on March 23?

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Hmm... we'll see where I buy my iPad... Maybe in the US on my trip there or maybe back home in Germany...

/Edit

Reading through their post they said: "...a source that, actually, is to be taken seriously". Sounds pretty speculative by my standards.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pretty sure March 23rd is a Friday...

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
march the 23rd is a friday!!!!!

The will be the day when the pre-orders will be shipping.
I can recall that it was like that with the initial iPhone4 release.

People who pre-ordered received it at the release day.
I bet that pre-orders will start immediately after the announcement and they will be 2 to 3 weeks before they will actually ship.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I dont get what the point is in standing in a line for it when you can just order it online and have it delivered on the day it comes out :confused:

Haha, the site of the store is just 5 minutes from my office.

Hadn't considered there being a queue, though I don't see Berlin as being a queuing kind of town. ;)

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I dont get what the point is in standing in a line for it when you can just order it online and have it delivered on the day it comes out :confused:

The is not how the iPad 2 release was handled. There was no pre-order, the ordering only became available early Friday (March 11) morning for delivery the following week. If you wanted it the day of release (March 11), you had no choice but to stand in line.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If true, that puts the U.S. launch at March 16, if Apple holds to similar launch timing as last year (March 11 for U.S., March 25 for international.)

March 23rd is a Thursday and they've always been released on Fridays, so I doubt that.

Original iPad was released on a Saturday AM. So that kill that theory. Also March 23 is a Friday. You need to turn the page on your calendar.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
The is not how the iPad 2 release was handled. There was no pre-order, the ordering only became available early Friday (March 11) morning for delivery the following week. If you wanted it the day of release (March 11), you had no choice but to stand in line.

The iPad 1 was pre-order. Given that it looks like the 7th will only be an announcement date, I would expect that we'll not see it released for a few weeks, thus pre-orders.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
If true, that puts the U.S. launch at March 16, if Apple holds to similar launch timing as last year (March 11 for U.S., March 25 for international.)

Original iPad was released on a Saturday AM. So that kill that theory. Also March 23 is a Friday. You need to turn the page on your calendar.
No, if it's a similar schedule than the iPad 3 is on March 9th in US stores, and March 23rd international. You're counting wrong. We go two days back (1. because every year you count one day back 2. 29th of February (thus, two days)).

If the US release is on March 9th, than I wonder if the iPad 3 is going to be introduced on February 29th. Than there's a 1,5 week between announcement and release (just like last year).

If the announcement is on March 7th, than I don't see them releasing the device only two days later. I believe that takes at least a week. So if it is March 7th, than the US release is March 16th and international March 30th.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I just love technology, every time something new is released or an OS is being updated I get very excited =P

This month has been great
- Mountain Lion
- Playbook OS 2.0
- Windows 8 Consumer Preview + Event
- March 7 Apple Event + iPad 3

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No, if it's a similar schedule than the iPad 3 is on March 9th in US stores, and March 23rd international. You're counting wrong. We go two days back (1. because every year you count one day back 2. 29th of February (thus, two days)).

If the US release is on March 9th, than I wonder if the iPad 3 is going to be introduced on February 29th. Than there's a 1,5 week between announcement and release (just like last year).

If the announcement is on March 7th, than I don't see them releasing the device only two days later. I believe that takes at least a week. So if it is March 7th, than the US release is March 16th and international March 30th.

If you are going to correct someone at least know what you are correcting them on.

Go back to my original post. I don't see where you get I said Apple would launch two days after announcement. I said it would put the U.S launch at March 16... that's 10 days later. It's also what you later wrote as a presumed U.S launch.

What I really don't understand is where you state the international launch as March 30 when the rumor being discussed here is March 23.

Mainstream!Hero

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Think of it...

iPad 3 sales will be launched on March 23rd in the U.S., Germany, the UK France and Japan, just like iPhone 4S and two weeks later it will launch on the slightly less important markets... the strategy worked well enough then, so why would Apple not use it for the iPad?

reka

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
"...the report does conflict with an Asian report from earlier today claiming that the iPad 3 would begin appearing in Europe in April following a mid-March launch in the United States."

The report does not really conflict with the Asian report:

The iPhone 4S had its debut in the United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the United Kingdom at the same day.

So the iPad 3 could launch in the U.S. and Germany on March 23th (which is about mid-March) and the rest of Europe will follow in April.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think it will launch here earlier...they usually launch in the US before Europe.

Aug 19, 2008
I just love technology, every time something new is released or an OS is being updated I get very excited =P

I'd rather like a hot wife better.... and get very excited every night :D :D :D

----------

I think it will launch here earlier...they usually launch in the US before Europe.

Makes sense. Even the 7th, available in store the week after in US and then Germany, UK, France, Canada, etc... the week after that, etc...

That's what they often do... Or, Even the 7th, ready for Pre-order the week after and available in US, Canada, Germany, France, UK, etc... for the 23rd.

That's also possible... mainly if there's some Apps re-design for Retina Display and leave two weeks to the developers to submit the Apps with new graphics.

We'll see :)

Spid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.