Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Probably late with this reply, but if you choose not to sign in/link your account, the Vita will create a temporary PSN account that'll take you to the main menu so you can update the software.

Yeah sorted it now.

I have to say the Vita is probably the most infuriating device i've ever had to setup though.

The ridiculous situation i pointed out above, is only exacerbated when it comes to 3G setup. Followed the vodafone instructions that came in the pack, and guess what... it didn't work. You go through the whole process and at the end it tells you to ring 1740 and activate the sim additionally. Sadly that's not a freephone number, so onto vodafone. Trying to navigate their automated system is a pain, and finally after 30 minutes and the operator trying to find out what a Vita is on her system, i was activated.

Seriously what happened to turn it on and go ????

Took me ages to locate the memory card slot, i think the ps-vita has wrecked my head.

:) :D

------
I got the Starter Kit with mine for the case, screen protector and game holder. Quite nice. The case makes it look like a sandwich though :) Just syncing to my PS3 to copy all the games I downloaded last night, it takes it sweet time.

Oh the wipeout offer 3g vodafone offer takes 10 days for the code to arrive. I bought the game anyway on cart, so not a bother.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet, rassen frassen.

QUESTION. The PSN license changed recently so instead of allowing "5 systems" they broke it down to "2 PSP and 2 PS3 systems". Where does the Vita fall with this? I've got 2 PSPs and I'd like my fave downloads on my Vita as well.
I'm worried the Vita will be one of those "PSP" activations.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet, rassen frassen.

QUESTION. The PSN license changed recently so instead of allowing "5 systems" they broke it down to "2 PSP and 2 PS3 systems". Where does the Vita fall with this? I've got 2 PSPs and I'd like my fave downloads on my Vita as well.
I'm worried the Vita will be one of those "PSP" activations.

Not sure tbh. :( Hopefully it remains 2, however with the vita as you are only allowed one active profile on a system its prob not a concern too much.

Edit. Having serious issues. 3G dies and just stops working and can't find any network.

And my vita stopped responding and locked itself with just the blue light on and wouldn't turn on. Finally solved this, but my god this is not a good first day experience....

And now Tales from Space won't install and many people are reporting same error code.... Frustrating first day indeed.

Last edited:

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Yeah sorted it now.

I have to say the Vita is probably the most infuriating device i've ever had to setup though.

The ridiculous situation i pointed out above, is only exacerbated when it comes to 3G setup. Followed the vodafone instructions that came in the pack, and guess what... it didn't work. You go through the whole process and at the end it tells you to ring 1740 and activate the sim additionally. Sadly that's not a freephone number, so onto vodafone. Trying to navigate their automated system is a pain, and finally after 30 minutes and the operator trying to find out what a Vita is on her system, i was activated.

Seriously what happened to turn it on and go ????

Took me ages to locate the memory card slot, i think the ps-vita has wrecked my head. (Read the manual dude :D )

This sounds like a cell phone provider issue when it comes to activating your 3G. I'm still to work so I havent gotten my hands on the device but I just picked up shinbito and I'm disappoint....I want my damn manuals not digital manuals:mad:

I was thinking about picking up a case and the screen protector....any good ones out there?

Bless

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Edit. Having serious issues. 3G dies and just stops working and can't find any network.

And my vita stopped responding and locked itself with just the blue light on and wouldn't turn on. Finally solved this, but my god this is not a good first day experience....

And now Tales from Space won't install and many people are reporting same error code.... Frustrating first day indeed.

This is why I didn't get a 3G Vita - Vodafone are terrible, both at customer service and the technical side of having a decent network. I'm happy enough to use my iPhone's WiFi tethering if I ever need it.

Loving the tiny size of the new retail boxes though. Still wasted space, but they're not as stupid as the DS boxes, and thinner/smaller than PSP.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm reasonably impressed with the Vita. I like how the controls are good enough to pull of some of the later Marvel vs Capcom 3 combos. The d-pad and button response is great :)

It really is a dedicated gaming machine though, I tried web browsing and it was horrific :eek:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I'm reasonably impressed with the Vita. I like how the controls are good enough to pull of some of the later Marvel vs Capcom 3 combos. The d-pad and button response is great :)

It really is a dedicated gaming machine though, I tried web browsing and it was horrific :eek:

The twitter app is great, they did that right.

I honestly haven't tried the web browser, doubt I will either. I have yet to use the PS3/DSi/Wii browser so I doubt I'll start with the Vita. I don't expect them to have a good browser.

@MRU I've had my Vita since last week and its frozen while asleep (and charging) a couple times before the new patch that came out on Tuesday. After the patch I have yet for it to freeze while sleeping, but its only been a day. Just hold the power button down and it will reset the Vita, its likely just a software bug they need to work out.

The fun of being a early adopter.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I was thinking about picking up a case and the screen protector....any good ones out there?

Bless

Starter Kit. Comes with screen protector and soft and leather case.

----------

@MRU I've had my Vita since last week and its frozen while asleep (and charging) a couple times before the new patch that came out on Tuesday. After the patch I have yet for it to freeze while sleeping, but its only been a day. Just hold the power button down and it will reset the Vita, its likely just a software bug they need to work out.

The fun of being a early adopter.

Thanks Ed, that's exactly what I did... after a lot of panic ;-)

Still no solution to the Tales From Space failure, and a lot of peeps are having the same problem.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I wish Sony would allow you to download PS1 games to the Vita. Seriously, I have Final Fantasy 7, 8 & 9 just begging for another play through. I could dust down my old PSP for that, but why :confused:

On a lighter note, was scrolling through my PSN download history on my Vita and discovered LittleBigPlanet was compatible :D I thought that was money down the drain after I sold on my PSP Go...after a week of use.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wouldn't worry about PS1 games. They'll definitely be playable eventually.

Does anyone know if Peacewalker works with both analogue sticks? With full analogue movement? I've heard that it does, and if so I'll definitely triple-dip for it :) (Best game of 2010 that)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wouldn't worry about PS1 games. They'll definitely be playable eventually.

Does anyone know if Peacewalker works with both analogue sticks? With full analogue movement? I've heard that it does, and if so I'll definitely triple-dip for it :) (Best game of 2010 that)

Yes, you change the setup to assign the right analogue stick to act as buttons and this enables right analogue stick for camera.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Hi all,
Grabbed a Wifi Vita yesterday that I pre-ordered and so far it's much <3. Stellar console (pun intended: Super Stardust Delta looks amaaaazing on this).

Have any of you been able to charge the Vita while it was on (possibly in standby) & plugged into your computer? I swear that out of the box (before firmware update) this worked, but since the update it no longer charges this way. (Vita has to be off for it to charge -- presumably the computer's USB port doesn't provide enough juice?)

EDIT: ah. And there we have it. Sometime RTFM helps. This is mildly disappointing; means we won't be able to play-n-charge easily while on the go.

Vita Manual said:
You can also charge your system by connecting it to a USB device such as a computer using the USB cable. When charging your system using a USB device, turn off your system. You cannot charge your system when it is in standby mode. To completely power off the system, press and hold the power button for two seconds, and then tap [Power Off] on the screen that appears.
(source)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
PSP pricing discrepancy.

Be aware PSP titles on PS Store on Vita and PS Store on PS3 are often differently priced.

I bought couple of PSP titles on the vita and they are more expensive on the PS3 store. What's that all about?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
sigh... why can't Jean d'Arc be available? That was my favorite PSP game.

I love that the Cross-Play games are starting to show up in the store now, there's a lot of potential in the concept.

PSP pricing discrepancy.

Be aware PSP titles on PS Store on Vita and PS Store on PS3 are often differently priced.

I bought couple of PSP titles on the vita and they are more expensive on the PS3 store. What's that all about?

Question, if you buy a PSP title on the PS3, will it be playable on the Vita (if the title is on the Vita's PSP game list)?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
How do you transfer files from computer to Vita?

PLEASE tell me there's a Mac client. Got sick to death of having to fire up Windows in Parallels just to download a game to my PSP.

Oh, and if there is, and is there a store integrated into this app?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
sigh... why can't Jean d'Arc be available? That was my favorite PSP game.

I love that the Cross-Play games are starting to show up in the store now, there's a lot of potential in the concept.

Question, if you buy a PSP title on the PS3, will it be playable on the Vita (if the title is on the Vita's PSP game list)?

Yep. You can transfer any downloaded psp game from ps3 to the vita and it will be playable :)

----------

How do you transfer files from computer to Vita?

PLEASE tell me there's a Mac client. Got sick to death of having to fire up Windows in Parallels just to download a game to my PSP.

Oh, and if there is, and is there a store integrated into this app?

There is a Mac client. It's pretty basic, and I mean 'basic'

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Should've Googled before, I've found it. Colour me... unimpressed, to say the least.

Yep its poor. Hopefully a third party will release a decent mac client that links in with iTunes and iPhoto for pics & music, and has a decent management of storage. At moment the software by Sony is simply not good enough.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust how the Vita displays PSP games? I.E. display at "original" rather then stretched etc?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah, this thing is great. I love Near!

I knew the lack of internal storage would bother me. I just don't get why they'd make a digital distribution focused handheld with no internal storage, no large cards in europe and charge a fortune for them. I'd rather see cheaper and bigger cards than a price cut on the system.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, this thing is great. I love Near!

I knew the lack of internal storage would bother me. I just don't get why they'd make a digital distribution focused handheld with no internal storage, no large cards in europe and charge a fortune for them. I'd rather see cheaper and bigger cards than a price cut on the system.

8-16gb built in storage should have been standard. Downloaded loco-roco 2 and its nearly 2gb itself, never mind as more elaborate vita games are released to download.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Yep. You can transfer any downloaded psp game from ps3 to the vita and it will be playable :)

----------

There is a Mac client. It's pretty basic, and I mean 'basic'

Actually, that isn't true. Not every downloaded PSP game from the PS3 works on the vita. Only select certain titles not on the official compatibility list work. However, there's a lot of titles that won't work on the Vita. (Including most of the SEGA games, sans the Genesis pack).

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
Does anyone know how the cross platform should work? Not a deal breaker for me and not the main reason I wanted the Vita anyway. I tried it out last night though and I could see manuever around my PS3 dashboard and even watch videos from my PS3 on the vita. But I had Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the PS3 and it wouldn't let me load it up and play it on the vita. Do I have to buy the game on the vita also? Think that would defeat the purpose woudn't it?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Region Free My Ass

More things folks should be aware of. Whilst the cartridges technically are region free, because of online passes and such they no longer are.

I bought Hot Shots Golf from videogamesplus.ca

Sadly I can not get online features to work in Europe because the online pass will not download on a European PSN account.

Whilst you can sign into a USA account on your PS3 and download the pass. There is no way to transfer it to your vita, if you try connecting to another account you get an error message telling you to only sync with the account you have on the vita.

You can not use Everybody Golfs online pass as it sees Hotshots Golf as a different game.

So a game which has online as integral part (and I love the way they promote international competition on this game) but its completely paralyzed if you are not in that region.

So bare that in mind going forward if you decide to import a game, that it may be gimped because of Sonys decision to restrict the PS Vita to using one account, and the online features are not region free.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
More things folks should be aware of. Whilst the cartridges technically are region free, because of online passes and such they no longer are.

I bought Hot Shots Golf from videogamesplus.ca

Sadly I can not get online features to work in Europe because the online pass will not download on a European PSN account.

Whilst you can sign into a USA account on your PS3 and download the pass. There is no way to transfer it to your vita, if you try connecting to another account you get an error message telling you to only sync with the account you have on the vita.

You can not use Everybody Golfs online pass as it sees Hotshots Golf as a different game.

So a game which has online as integral part (and I love the way they promote international competition on this game) but its completely paralyzed if you are not in that region.

So bare that in mind going forward if you decide to import a game, that it may be gimped because of Sonys decision to restrict the PS Vita to using one account, and the online features are not region free.

I can understand that. Probably due to lag mostly. Thanks for the heads up though. Still on the fence about this machine. I feel burned from the PSP still, and i rarely ever fire up my ps3 these days. I may just hold off and go for the iPad 3 when it comes out instead, not sure. I should buy one, i can write it off as a business expense, but i have too many useless handhelds laying around collecting dust :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.