Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plasmaxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
I am trying to text someone who has an iPhone 3gs and is on a firmware 4.x.x. Whenever i try to text him it says "(phone number) is not registered with iMessage" and i cant hit send after i type out my message. I tried disabling iMessage in settings, but when i go back to the Messages app it want me to set it up again and i cant just say no. I am on an iPhone 4, 5.0.1 jailbroken.

Please help.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I am trying to text someone who has an iPhone 3gs and is on a firmware 4.x.x. Whenever i try to text him it says "(phone number) is not registered with iMessage" and i cant hit send after i type out my message. I tried disabling iMessage in settings, but when i go back to the Messages app it want me to set it up again and i cant just say no. I am on an iPhone 4, 5.0.1 jailbroken.

Please help.

tell that person to download IOS5

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Are you sending the text to his number or his email? If you answer number, are you SURE it's his number (iMessage uses numbers and/or email, if that wasn't clear)? Lastly, are you able to send normal texts to anyone else.

Also, go to Settings>Messages, and then see if "Send as SMS" is ON. THat is what will allow you to bypass iMessage if iMessage isn't allowing receipt.

Last edited:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Did he ever upgrade his 3Gs to iOS5? If so, it's serial number was registered with Apple as a device that could recieve iMessages, and I don't know how he'd get himself off that list

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This isn't the answer. He should still be able to send standard texts to iOS devices without them having to have iOS5 installed.

Exactly, my friend lost her 4 running iOS 5 and went back to her 3G...does it make sense that I simply wouldn't be able to text her without her having iOS 5 installed?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Did he ever upgrade his 3Gs to iOS5? If so, it's serial number was registered with Apple as a device that could recieve iMessages, and I don't know how he'd get himself off that list

Even so, the information I posted above should get around this. That's why the option is there, in case that happens.

Plasmaxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Are you sending the text to his number or his email? If you answer number, are you SURE it's his number (iMessage uses numbers and/or email, if that wasn't clear)? Lastly, are you able to send normal texts to anyone else.

Also, go to Settings>Messages, and then see if "Send as SMS" is ON. THat is what will allow you to bypass iMessage if iMessage isn't allowing receipt.

I don't have that option. I took some screencaps that might help.

scaled.php
scaled.php
scaled.php

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Very strange. Belopw is an image of what mine looks like. Maybe try turning iMessage on and then off? Also, your "receive at" is there a phone number there, or just email? I have my phone number and my email there. Make sure there is a phone number there, at the very least.

dc1c105c.jpg

Plasmaxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Very strange. Belopw is an image of what mine looks like. Maybe try turning iMessage on and then off? Also, your "receive at" is there a phone number there, or just email? I have my phone number and my email there. Make sure there is a phone number there, at the very least.

I may have figured out the problem, I just put my iPhone into safe mode and went into messages and everything was there that was in your picture and I was able to send the text.

I'm guessing I should restore my phone then?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I may have figured out the problem, I just put my iPhone into safe mode and went into messages and everything was there that was in your picture and I was able to send the text.

I'm guessing I should restore my phone then?

You can try, although I am not sure why safe mode would bring up MORE options than running in standard. Do you have any jailbreak texting apps that might be conflicting here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.