Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I bought the 11" MBA base model for my fiancée this January. But I've also been using it myself from time to time. It's a great little machine, especially for her. She is predominantly using it for on-and-off productive work, like writing in Word or making presentations in Power Point. Also for surfing the web, managing her emails, home office stuff.
It's perfect, pretty fast, never lagging, nice machine - I can only recommend it.

Colainte (writing from a congress using his 13" MBA)

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Just got my 13" 2011 4gb/128gb yesterday.

I sold my early 2011 13" MBP base to get it. People said I was crazy as its not a financially smart move....but total I'm out 250$.

THis thing is crazy fast and the battery is astounding. My MBP was great but I don't work on music anymore so I felt like it was too bulky to lug around and so much more powerful than I really need. Let's be honest, email, web, blogging and serving movies to my atv could be done with a 10 year old machine.

I love the portability and the snappiness of the SSD. I was a little afraid I might be a touch disappointed with the lesser display but this one looks good to me.

I have the samsung display, so that may help....or be placebo.

Very happy with my decision on this

:)

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I agree with Urkel. The 11' model is so portable, lightweight and practical. However, the 16:9 screen ratio coupled with a small screen does become a hassle if you use the computer a lot every day.
I would say the 13' MBA has a much more usable screen size (for more advanced tasks), but is still small and lightweight.
How would everyone feel about a 12" Air?

Just look at the bezel on both models and it's easy to imagine it being a 12" and 14" screen. And while I do think the 11" is very usable, increasing it an inch without making it a bigger computer would only make it better.

Jimmy219c

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
My girlfriend just ordered a Refurbished 2011 Macbook Air 11" Base Model. She only will use it for browsing the web, email, writing documents, storing music, etc...Just the basics. I hope this is the right choice for her! I have a 2011 Macbook Pro "13 and I love it.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

Just look at the bezel on both models and it's easy to imagine it being a 12" and 14" screen. And while I do think the 11" is very usable, increasing it an inch without making it a bigger computer would only make it better.

The screen is already 11.6".. .4 inches to me would make almost 0 difference.

13" is the sweet spot for most people, but I absolutely love the small size of my 11.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
The screen is already 11.6".. .4 inches to me would make almost 0 difference.

13" is the sweet spot for most people, but I absolutely love the small size of my 11.
Sorry for the inaccurate info. I guess to be more specific they should make the Macbook 11.6 into a Macbook 12.6. Or to be less accurate, see all that border around the screen? Reduce it.

And yes, 1" more screen does make a huge difference so I'm not sure why anyone would prefer more bezel over more screen in the exact same sized machines.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Sorry for the inaccurate info. I guess to be more specific they should make the Macbook 11.6 into a Macbook 12.6. Or to be less accurate, see all that border around the screen? Reduce it.

And yes, 1" more screen does make a huge difference so I'm not sure why anyone would prefer more bezel over more screen in the exact same sized machines.

I agree. The bezel is huge and should eventually allow Apple to grow the screen within the same footprint 11" MBA unit. Increasing the screen from 11.6" to 12.6" is an 18% increase in screen size...pretty significant! At the same pixel size, that would equate to 1484x834. An increase in the number of vertical pixels is always a plus.

If it can grow even to 13" on the nose (~3/4" in each direction from the corners), that would be 1536x864.

Last edited:

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008

If the over all footprint would be the same size and the weight would be the same and just the bezel would be reduced I'd be all for a 12.6". Otherwise, I think I prefer 11" for ultraportable (MBP is 13" though)

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

No no it's all right, people forget.

I'm all for killing the bezel though. :)

zicoos

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
I got my MB Air 13" i5, 256GB (Samsung) and 4GB RAM 2 days ago and I am in love. One of the best things I've ever spent money on! I can play WOW, EVE Online, do Photoshop work/Pixelmator, coding, play HD movies... you name it! I only plan to get an external keyboard for mashing buttons in WOW + a cooling pad, because I really want my MB Air to be as safe as possible :D

Ainkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I just got one too, an 11.6 128/4. Great little computer!

Out the door every day with my mobile office - 3.72 pounds of awesomeness (iPad2 and my MBA).

Ainkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011

Thanks. I was wondering how much of a snob I could be the other day. My wife loves Starbucks so I was thinking of taking my new MBA, my iPad, her iPad and stealing one of my kids iPad's and setting up a 4 screen work station at a location while she got her coffee just to be annoying.

I set it up at home and it worked flawlessly :p

Throw in a bluetooth keyboard and a magic trackpad and I think I would hit all the bases for being an eccentric "douchy" Starbucks freak.

Dickymint

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2012
London
MBA 13" for birthday :)

I have just been given a 13" MBA for my birthday :D
This compliments my 27" iMac just great, along with the iPad I'm just about all Appled out!
What is great is the eye-fi card in my camera shoots wirelessly straight into LR3 on the MBA and is great for showing photos as they are taken (also works with the iPad)..
Now off to Covent garden to find a great cover for the MBA :)
Minty

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Thanks. I was wondering how much of a snob I could be the other day. My wife loves Starbucks so I was thinking of taking my new MBA, my iPad, her iPad and stealing one of my kids iPad's and setting up a 4 screen work station at a location while she got her coffee just to be annoying.

I set it up at home and it worked flawlessly :p

Throw in a bluetooth keyboard and a magic trackpad and I think I would hit all the bases for being an eccentric "douchy" Starbucks freak.

That's awesome haha. Did you get any looks from on-goers?

Ainkor

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
That's awesome haha. Did you get any looks from on-goers?

Didn't do it yet. Been meaning to but I'll have to wait until my wife wants some coffee again and we are out and about. I'll see about posting a pic once I do :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.