Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrystar

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
So, his own dream that he keeps referring to? Obviously it was a career in television.

Sorry, I feel we have here a guy with real class! I would hope I myself would be as mature about the circus in which we all live. Congrats, on integrity, aplomb, and savoir vivre!

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
This article sold me his book. No kidding, I read the example pages at amazon and ordered it.

If he really wanted to write this, I can understand it. This book, getting the own thoughts out there, is worth more than any wealth of money in the world.

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Anybody read the article?

He said he would've stayed four years, gotten rich, then left. He certainly didn't say he would've left Apple at the time he did if given the chance to do it over.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
It's not clear for me in what way he "put the dent in the Universe"... a book? that's too small, or I simply miss something?
There's a pretty strong precedent for books causing "dents in the universe". If my legacy was a book of importance in some way I'd be happy with that. (and the usual family stuff that people take for granted)

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
That's life

Few exist who doesn't regret something or think what if. Randomness rules our lives even though we might feel we're in control. And we certainly never succeed solely because of our own skill and character. There is no such thing as a self-made man.

Wayne left because his passion and vision and risk values did not align with Jobs and Woz, and I suggest he would have been, like most of us, I'd guess, crushed under the weight of Steve Jobs.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
That's what rather most people would say if they'd made that big of a bad decision.

Most startups fail. Actually, almost all startups fail, only a very tiny fraction is successful. It took Apple years to become successful and in the late 1990s it was almost a stupid thing to buy Apple stock since the company was on the edge of bankruptcy. How stupid do YOU feel today that you didn't buy Apple stocks back in the 1990s? Or are you a teenager and too young to have been around at that time?

Nobody can see the future and most investments are gambles. You win some, you lose some. That's probably not a problem for very wealthy people, but for the 99.9999% of people on a budget, you better be careful with your money.

Also, you need A LOT of commitment and energy to run a startup - and like any other gamble, there is no guaranteed outcome. He made a decision based on the situation back then.

And as my history teacher taught us at school: You have to look at history through the eyes of that time. You cannot judge history from today's perspective.

If you do that, we all are idiots for not having bought ridiculous amounts of Apple stocks when the company was close to collapsing.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
So, his own dream that he keeps referring to? Obviously it was a career in television.

Don't discount his big screen career...

Attachments

• vigo3.jpg
    vigo3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 52

Moopy Sac

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
The grapes are very sour.

To whom are you referring? Some of the people in this thread? Because Wayne certainly doesn't seem to have sour grapes, rather the exact opposite. He has remarked several times that Woz and Jobs have changed the world and he just didn't fit into the culture.

Scarrus

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Most startups fail. Actually, almost all startups fail, only a very tiny fraction is successful. It took Apple years to become successful and in the late 1990s it was almost a stupid thing to buy Apple stock since the company was on the edge of bankruptcy. How stupid do YOU feel today that you didn't buy Apple stocks back in the 1990s? Or are you a teenager and too young to have been around at that time?

Nobody can see the future and most investments are gambles. You win some, you lose some. That's probably not a problem for very wealthy people, but for the 99.9999% of people on a budget, you better be careful with your money.

Also, you need A LOT of commitment and energy to run a startup - and like any other gamble, there is no guaranteed outcome. He made a decision based on the situation back then.

And as my history teacher taught us at school: You have to look at history through the eyes of that time. You cannot judge history from today's perspective.

If you do that, we all are idiots for not having bought ridiculous amounts of Apple stocks when the company was close to collapsing.

I guess you and others have understood me badly, I didn't say, nor imply that he or anyone was an idiot but said that if most people were in his shoes they would rather say "Oh, well doesn't matter" than "Yeah, damn, I lost SO MUCH MONEY!"

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
It's not clear for me in what way he "put the dent in the Universe"... a book? that's too small, or I simply miss something?
Anyways, if he is happy with what he has, then this is a major success! Nowadays it is so hard and rather uncommon to be humble and happy with his/her current position.

We all put a dent in the universe in our own ways, little or big. That is the point and moral of that story that we can take away.

When Apple went public, Steve and Steve decided who all will get apple shares. I wonder if they offered any to this man.

----------

That's what rather most people would say if they'd made that big of a bad decision.

Such cynicism is suffocating.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Meh. 40 years of research, and his dent-in-the-universe book doesn't seem to be footnoted at all? Sounds more like a manifesto to me, and probably congruent with his seeming haphazard (and ultimately financially poor) decision to leave Apple. Let's not forget, this isn't someone that worked with them a couple years then decided to sell his shares. This was a buyback almost immediately after the company's formation. Probably better for the Steves that he left. But not better for him.

Dave

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Only 35 years too late mate. No one cares. You're talking about ancient history

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Anyways, if he is happy with what he has, then this is a major success! Nowadays it is so hard and rather uncommon to be humble and happy with his/her current position.

Books are what constitutes the sum of the collective knowledge of mankind, so a book can certainly put a dent in the universe. Take "On the origin of species..." for example

Only 35 years too late mate. No one cares. You're talking about ancient history

Well you took the time to read it...

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
He still became a millionaire in his own right with other ventures... everything considered, he is doing better than most people.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Books are what constitutes the sum of the collective knowledge of mankind, so a book can certainly put a dent in the universe. Take "On the origin of species..." for example

Well you took the time to read it...

I did. I read the lot. That's why I said what I did.
But you could not have known I read it all. So next time ask before you assume ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.