Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Binaural

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Staten Island NY
27" Mid 2011 iMac will not respond to the power button. The fan won't even turn on.... I was in Vegas for a week and manually shut it off, I did not put it to sleep. I came home tonight and it will not turn on at all. I have windows installed through bootcmap..

Can anyone help me out here?

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
No response at all? Sounds like a power issue. Either something isn't connected properly, your AC isn't supplying power, or there may have been a brownout in your absence.

Have you noticed any other erratic electrical behavior in the house? Other devices that have clocks reset or aren't turning on? Do other devices work on your iMac's AC outlet? Have you noticed any floating orbs of lightning of no particular shade?

Binaural

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Staten Island NY
No response at all? Sounds like a power issue. Either something isn't connected properly, your AC isn't supplying power, or there may have been a brownout in your absence.

Have you noticed any other erratic electrical behavior in the house? Other devices that have clocks reset or aren't turning on? Do other devices work on your iMac's AC outlet? Have you noticed any floating orbs of lightning of no particular shade?
Everything else electrical is working fine, even other things plugged into the same outlet. I tried plugging the mac into other outlets, and nothing.. =(

Binaural

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Staten Island NY
I took out the memory on the bottom and put it back in. I held the power button, I got a fan response, they are spinning really hard, but nothing else is happening.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
^but don't go in there on their terms. Personally, I'd sue. Just straight up sue the Genius behind the bar... but before all that, I highly recommend following the steps posted above to the letter. Sometimes fixing a Mac is as simple and unexpected as putting it's motherboard in the dishwasher.

By the way, I just put my Classic II's board in my dishwasher.

Binaural

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Staten Island NY
^but don't go in there on their terms. Personally, I'd sue. Just straight up sue the Genius behind the bar... but before all that, I highly recommend following the steps posted above to the letter. Sometimes fixing a Mac is as simple and unexpected as putting it's motherboard in the dishwasher.

By the way, I just put my Classic II's board in my dishwasher.

Can you give me some tips? I tried all of that...

Reactions: gatortpk

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
If you've tried all of the tips in the link, honestly, I can't for the life of me think of any ways to further test the system.

However, when power supplies fail, more often than not, they will still power the fans. You mentioned that you powered the computer off and, I assume, left it for several days. Some power supplies may be adversely effected by being left powered off if they have a defective component.

The PowerMac G4 MDD was notorious because of bad capacitors in the power supply. Leaving the PowerMac plugged in but not turned on would heat the capacitors and eventually bust them. Your iMac's power supply may have had a defective component. It happens fairly often.

xmnj

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Is the ram the original ram? If not, try putting the original back in.
I ran into this problem last week, where my friends 24" iMac would not turn on, only the fan or the superdrive would make noise, turned out the after market ram went bad, causing the machine to not turn on, and this was after the ram had been in the system for 2 months.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
It's clearly busted. Take it in to get fixed. It should be still under warranty.

al19859922

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
ugh

this just happened to me tonight! my mac book pro is fine it was plugged into the same power strip along with a charging iPad2 but the iMac just shut off like the power went out! a black screen it will not come back on! iv tried everything! its the 2011 21.5 hd version iv only had it like 4 months! i have an appointment at the apple store tomorrow!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.