Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnyClassic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I was just wondering if anyone knew of an application for IOS/iPhone that allows you to see which processes are running and allows you to turn them off manually.

I have an android phone and there many, many free apps available that do this. My girlfriend has an iPhone and i can't seem to find one for her. The issue is that her battery is draining really fast. The guy at the apple store said it is because one of apps is constantly running and draining it.

Does apple not allow these type of apps? Or is there one someone can recommend?

Thanks
J

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iOS apps don't run in the background. They are frozen and rarely use any CPU usage. I suggest you read up more on the subject.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I was just wondering if anyone knew of an application for IOS/iPhone that allows you to see which processes are running and allows you to turn them off manually

System Activity Monitor ($ .99) will show you what processes are running, how much CPU time is being used, and other statistics about your iOS device. It does not (as far as I know) let you kill processes.

Killing arbitrary processes on your phone is probably not a good idea. iOS manages resources pretty well and will kill off backgrounded apps as needed. If you want to manually kill off an app running in the background you can always double click the home button to see the app list and then touch and hold to bring up the red (-) kill icon.

A.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
System Activity Monitor ($ .99) will show you what processes are running, how much CPU time is being used, and other statistics about your iOS device. It does not (as far as I know) let you kill processes.

Killing arbitrary processes on your phone is probably not a good idea. iOS manages resources pretty well and will kill off backgrounded apps as needed. If you want to manually kill off an app running in the background you can always double click the home button to see the app list and then touch and hold to bring up the red (-) kill icon.

A.

I have the app and no it does not let you kill them.

There are jb tweaks that can do this for you tho.

missinginstereo

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
Hey sorry if this question has been resolved but i ran across this thread on Google whilst looking for an answer

Every post i come across in various forums seems to be about task managers that kill stuff to save on memory. I'm looking for a way to kill an app that has frozen but, not frozen the phone. It tends to happen on games like Infinity Blade 2 or Real Racing 3. I'm playing away then the game freezes up completely or gets stuck in an animation loop. I can press home, get out of the app, play with other apps and generally do everything else but i can't use that app until i switch my phone off then on. Is there anyway to either kill it (like pressing ctr, alt & delete then ending a program) or reset the app so that it launches fresh?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey sorry if this question has been resolved but i ran across this thread on Google whilst looking for an answer

Every post i come across in various forums seems to be about task managers that kill stuff to save on memory. I'm looking for a way to kill an app that has frozen but, not frozen the phone. It tends to happen on games like Infinity Blade 2 or Real Racing 3. I'm playing away then the game freezes up completely or gets stuck in an animation loop. I can press home, get out of the app, play with other apps and generally do everything else but i can't use that app until i switch my phone off then on. Is there anyway to either kill it (like pressing ctr, alt & delete then ending a program) or reset the app so that it launches fresh?
You can try quiting the app by bringing up the app switcher (press the home button twice), holding down one of the recent apps there (you can do it using the particular one you are trying to quit), and once the apps start wiggling/shaking and have a red minus sign at the top right you can press on that minus sign that is on the app you are trying to quit to actually quit the app.

If that doesn't work, you can try force quitting the app which can be done while you are within the app that is frozen or isn't working properly--once you are in the app simply hold down the phone's sleep/lock button on the top right for a good 5+ seconds until you see the slider to turn off the phone appear at the top, once the power off slider appears, let go of the sleep/lock button (leaving the slider on the screen) and hold down the home button for another 5+ seconds until the power off slider disappears and the app quits returning you to your home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.