Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
PowerLogix is releasing two new processor upgrade cards:

PowerForce Dual G4 Series 100 - Dual G4-7450 or G4-7455, Speeds up to 1GHz
PowerForce Dual G4 Series 133 - Dual G4-7450 or G4-7455, Speeds up to 1GHz

Speeds range from 800MHz to 1GHz... with faster models available later.

All PowerForce Dual models include 2MB of L3 cache, which is twice what Apple includes on their newest Dual 867 MHz and Dual 1 GHz models. This means an older PowerMac will outperform the latest Apple models, when comparing equivalent clock speeds.

Pricing for the low end model (Dual 800 or Dual 867 depending on the model) is $799.
Pricing for the high end model (Dual 1GHz) is $1199.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ha, this is fantastic - a dual 1 GHz in my Sawtooth!

But for you cube guys, notice the fan that comes on the heatsink?

D

daRAT

macrumors regular
May 12, 2002
Kennebunk, Maine, USA
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ha, this is fantastic - a dual 1 GHz in my Sawtooth!

But for you cube guys, notice the fan that comes on the heatsink?

D

Yup, so? *grin* Noise as a trade off for speed isn't a problem. I'll never hear it over my firewire drive vibrating on the table :D

bond2

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
Ohio
Worth the extra $400 for the 1ghz???

What do you guys think, is it worth an extra $400 for the dual 1ghz card?? Will we really see that big of a performance gain?? I can't wait to see some benchmarks. Man Apple is not gonna be happy!! They better get their ass in gear and get some fast IBM chips in the powermacs or something.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
The reason for this is that there might be a whole new chip in the works anyway (IBM) so why would Apple care. A dual anything would be much faster than what I've got now and extend the working life of my machine by a couple of years - well worth the invetstment. That and a new graphics card.

D

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
WORD!!!!!!!

I've been holding out to buy a new machine for 2 years. Now for $1200, I can have one that's FASTER than the apple-branded DDR hack?????

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

seven5

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Pricey?

is it me or is this kind of pricey?

you could sell your g4 500mhz and put the upgrade money towards a nice NEW tower, with much newer features (probably firewire b and bluetooth in jan).

This just seems a litte expensive, when you combine that price with what you could get for selling your old one. And i own an 800mhz, and this is no deal to me.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
do i really have to run system profiler in 9 - and am i screwed....

i ran it in 10.2 and this is what i see:

Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) (version = 2.8)

am i out of luck??!?!?

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
where exacly does it go in the cube? o_O

and what is with their benchmarks???? they show a wallstreet beating a lombard WTF?

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
$1200 Ouch!!!

Lets see dual 867 $1600-1699, 10.2 Hard drive cd/rw warranty, video card, ddr 2GB max., dual optical and new box. or
$799 for the dual 867. {what no trade in discount}
About $800 less than a new computer
Dual 1ghz $1999 Apple store or left over, Super drive, 80GB hard drive, 512 Ram, warranty, video card, 10.2 for $19.99 and a new box or
$1199 for dual 1GHZ. {what no trade up for old processor}
About $800 less than a new computer
About $1300 less than the new ddr 1GHZ
Is it worth it? yes and no.

Heres hoping Sonnet will join the fray and make these prices fall.
and what about the biege and blue and white G3's and Yikes G4.
Even the 7300-9600 series pci models have an 800MHZ processor available.

I was told by a benchmarking site about 4 weeks ago about these dual processor upgrades except for the price and manufactor and release dates.
The first round of benchmarks are done and will most likely be posted by nextweek.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by e-coli
WORD!!!!!!!

I've been holding out to buy a new machine for 2 years. Now for $1200, I can have one that's FASTER than the apple-branded DDR hack?????

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!! :D

I think you are mistaken about it being faster. There is no way any older system with a Dual Gig upgrade will ever show consistent across the board speed advantages over the new DDR machines. It is incorrect to call the current implementation of DDR a hack seeing how the PCI bus, 3 ATA Busses, and firewire/usb can all read and write to the ram at the full DDR capability. This gives Graphics cards a tremendous advantage in that they can access the DDR ram on the board at nearly the same speed as they're on board ram. Besides all the tests I've seen with DDR fully implemented on any computer with a capable bus shows very little increase in speed. This is because the access latency of DDR is on average no faster than SDR and sometimes even slower. This allows little to no speed increase on small bunches of files and only are large blocks. So you get no were calling it a hack because the biggest advantage Apple or any computer company can get with DDR has already been provided to us in the use of Direct Memory Access.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
The Dual/Ghz upgrade card is a joke. For $1,699 you can get a new Dual 867Mhz machine with 4 open pci slots and AGP 4x slot that will take or has a much faster graphics card then you can put in any older machine. It also has 4 DDR 266 Ram Slots and an ATA 100, 66, and 33 busses all built in.

If anyone out there is willing to pay a $1,000 for a dual/Ghz upgrade over the Dual 867 let me be the first one to say they are completely Nucking Futz.

theaz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
The Dual/Ghz upgrade card is a joke. For $1,699 you can get a new Dual 867Mhz machine with 4 open pci slots and AGP 4x slot that will take or has a much faster graphics card then you can put in any older machine. It also has 4 DDR 266 Ram Slots and an ATA 100, 66, and 33 busses all built in.

If anyone out there is willing to pay a $1,000 for a dual/Ghz upgrade over the Dual 867 let me be the first one to say they are completely Nucking Futz.

It all depends what you want. For me, with a cube, this would rock: i would rather upgrade my cube rather than replace it. sighhh. i think i am in love... ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by theaz

It all depends what you want. For me, with a cube, this would rock: i would rather upgrade my cube rather than replace it. sighhh. i think i am in love... ;)

Don't forget it adds a fan. A big part of the cube is it's silence. It will no longer be silent. Though you can add a single processor 1Ghz upgrade with no fan.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
It's worse than that... It will cost 1,200$

Well, that is a ****-load of money for just a processor card! Are there really people who gonna buy that? 800$ would have been the max I would have been willing to pay... Just all the other components in a new PM (DP867MHz) are worth way more than the 400$ price difference!

You still can get good money for a used G4 PowerMac (between 500-1,000$). Plus the money for the upgrade card you'll have the funds to get a brand new DP PowerMac.

Oh, well...

groovebuster

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Can I?

I have a G4-500 and 10.2's APS says it's (... AGP 2.9)
Anyone know if I'm eligible?

Also...

My thought: I'm not in the market for a new Mac yet, and by the time I feel I can afford a new one/need a new one, this ol' G4's not gonna look too exciting on the second hand market. As one of those people that would rather keep it that get $500 when that day comes, the dual-upgrades will start getting replaced and the price will have dropped. So I can keep the old horse going THEN, not neccessarily straight away when the finance doesn't seem to great.

My 2p.

H

gizmovision

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA, USA, EARTH
10.2 ASP report

mine says Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics) (version = 2.7) :confused:

I havn't been able to boot an OS 9 disc in a long whlile to even check, the drive spits them out, must taste bad!
I'll have to ask PowerLogix or OWC's Larry...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.