Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
I'm in New York City, more specifically in Woodside, Queens. Today the data seemed to be working for something's only; maps, safari, vevo, were working but Facebook and the Speed Test, was not working. Annoying.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have been using ST on my iP4S for a week now and the data, texts is useless. The only time data seems to function is late night. Despite having 3 bars in my apartment, iMessage does not work and even loading up Google takes forever. I have the correct APN settings and have tried even restoring the phone.

I also don't feel comfortable knowing there is a 100mb limit per day. So today in the morning none of my iMessages were going through and my email was not working properly, I just gave up and called AT&T to sign up for service.

Good luck to you guys.

There is a 100mb limit a day? I thought it was unlimited with it being advised to stay under 2gigs for the month

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
You guys can also go the route of T-Mobile for $50 unlimited everything. That's unlimited EDGE! :) Their Monthly 4G plans are pretty good. And now they support iPhone's so any issue and you can just call them. :eek:

ammonfife

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Works great for me

Bought an ATT iPhone 4 (32gb) off Craigslist for 285
Put in the sim, and it works fine. Kids can stream netflix while we drive (had some buffering the first time, but now seems to work fine.)

Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hi all and greetings from the UK! :D

I need to get my SIM sorted for a trip to NYC in March.

I have a Vonage account, which gives me unlimited calls to US mobiles & landlines, I also think I can set it to forward to the US mobile number I get, so that will work fine for people ringing me, but I'm also interested in outgoing calls and more importantly data access...

Can I pick one of these Straight talk SIMs up and will it be ok for me to use in my unlocked iPhone 4 (purchased from Apple store in London)?

If not, does anyone know of any SIM deals with data that I can use for my week in NYC (preferably one that I can order in advance so I have it for when I land).

Cheers. :)

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Hi all and greetings from the UK! :D

I need to get my SIM sorted for a trip to NYC in March.

I have a Vonage account, which gives me unlimited calls to US mobiles & landlines, I also think I can set it to forward to the US mobile number I get, so that will work fine for people ringing me, but I'm also interested in outgoing calls and more importantly data access...

Can I pick one of these Straight talk SIMs up and will it be ok for me to use in my unlocked iPhone 4 (purchased from Apple store in London)?

If not, does anyone know of any SIM deals with data that I can use for my week in NYC (preferably one that I can order in advance so I have it for when I land).

Cheers. :)

Should work just fine in NYC. It's $45 for the month of service, plus $15 for the MicroSIM itself.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims

You can just throw in any NYC zip code (just looked them up and 10001 works).

Only thing is I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. Were you planning to do that, or order it when you arrive in the US?

I'm only over for a week (Sunday 11th March to Sunday 18th March), so getting one while I'm there is no good, I need to have one when I land or pick one up on the Monday.

It looks like T-Mobile may be an option for me as they offer a variety of Prepaid options:

Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

I'm only there for a week, so their "Unlimited Web & Text" might just do me fine for $30.

The only thing is, it doesn't appear you can add the "International Unlimited talk & Text" bundle for $10, as that can only be added to tariffs of $50 & above-and even if I get one of the $50 tariffs, it appears the data is then only 2G, as it says "First 100MB at up to 4G speeds".

How hard can this be??

Maybe the answer is to go for the $70 "Monthly 4G" tariff (*First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds) and then add the $10 bundle of international calls so that I can ring home?

That would come to $80, which is about £50 for the week.

As I mentioned, I have a Vonage business account that gives me unlimited calls to USA landlines and mobiles, so I think what I can do is just before I take off, leave a message on my 3 voicemail telling people to call me on my Vonage number (normal landline number) and set the Vonage number to divert to my USA SIM number once I get it the next day, so when people ring my Vonage number they will get my in NYC on T-Mob number.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I'm only over for a week (Sunday 11th March to Sunday 18th March), so getting one while I'm there is no good, I need to have one when I land or pick one up on the Monday.

It looks like T-Mobile may be an option for me as they offer a variety of Prepaid options:

Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

I'm only there for a week, so their "Unlimited Web & Text" might just do me fine for $30.

The only thing is, it doesn't appear you can add the "International Unlimited talk & Text" bundle for $10, as that can only be added to tariffs of $50 & above-and even if I get one of the $50 tariffs, it appears the data is then only 2G, as it says "First 100MB at up to 4G speeds".

How hard can this be??

Maybe the answer is to go for the $70 "Monthly 4G" tariff (*First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds) and then add the $10 bundle of international calls so that I can ring home?

That would come to $80, which is about £50 for the week.

As I mentioned, I have a Vonage business account that gives me unlimited calls to USA landlines and mobiles, so I think what I can do is just before I take off, leave a message on my 3 voicemail telling people to call me on my Vonage number (normal landline number) and set the Vonage number to divert to my USA SIM number once I get it the next day, so when people ring my Vonage number they will get my in NYC on T-Mob number.

I see... One thing to note: on T-Mobile USA using an iPhone, you'll only be able to get onto EDGE, no 3G due to the difference in the carriers' GSM bands.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Good info Techguy, thanks.

Back to square 1 for me then... :(

I'd still recommend Straight Talk for the week: unlimited, talk, text, 3G data, no activation fee besides the MicroSIM itself. Only issue is getting it to the UK before you come to the US. Have you checked their international shipping policy yet?

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
My data speed ... It has been going up and down though

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330576358.366808.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330576358.366808.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 157

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Do you have a contact here you could have it shipped to?

Potentially, I guess I could have it shipped to the office of the firm I'll be working for in NYC-how safe would having it sent to the hotel I'm staying in be?

I'm getting to JFK about 9pm and will be heading straight to the hotel to crash straight out as my body will be 5 hours ahead of NYC time!).

It would be perfect to have the SIM waiting for me, but I guess getting it at the office the next morning would be ok too.

Thanks.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Potentially, I guess I could have it shipped to the office of the firm I'll be working for in NYC-how safe would having it sent to the hotel I'm staying in be?

I'm getting to JFK about 9pm and will be heading straight to the hotel to crash straight out as my body will be 5 hours ahead of NYC time!).

It would be perfect to have the SIM waiting for me, but I guess getting it at the office the next morning would be ok too.

Thanks.

I'd go for the office, you could get it first thing in the morning. You'd presumably have wifi to communicate that evening and the next morning at the hotel.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
guys for some reason. My data has stopped working, I am getting 3G written on the top left corner but there is no data? I just got my service yesterday.

I have rebooted my phone 5 times, my data settings are att.mvno

can anyone help? Please

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I think that sounds like a good idea. Just make sure they are expecting it at the office ahead of time so it will be waiting for you.

----------

Can anyone post a working mms settings?

These settings work perfectly and are recommended:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone#Data_.26_MMS

----------

guys for some reason. My data has stopped working, I am getting 3G written on the top left corner but there is no data? I just got my service yesterday.

I have rebooted my phone 5 times, my data settings are att.mvno

can anyone help? Please

Try putting it in Airplane mode for 5 minutes. Then trying opening Google.com

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Ok...

I'm going to be staying round here and working in this area.

Can anyone advise me of a store/plan that I can buy/activate on the Monday morning (12th March)?

Cheers.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
Ok...

I'm going to be staying round here and working in this area.

Can anyone advise me of a store/plan that I can buy/activate on the Monday morning (12th March)?

Cheers.

If you're looking for the SIM card, you'll need to order that online. It is not sold in stores, and the shipping would take 3-5 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.