Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPGills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Hi All,

Am not sure if anyone can help me with this or if anyone has any ideas.

I have an iPhone 4, my brother has an iPhone 4S and his wife an iPhone 3g. All of them, I believe, have iOS 5.0.1 on them.

We all use iMessage. Yesterday evening every time I sent an iMessage to my brother, it would also be received by his wife! I am in my brothers contact list as "brother" and was showing as that on his, but on his wires iPhone it was coming up as "Joe Bloggs" (i.e. my full name).

I was using the iMessage beta on my Macbook air as well to send the messages, but does anyone have any idea why messages sent to my brother would also be received by his wife?

Does the iTunes account they are linked to have anything to do with it?

Thanks a lot.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
You're brother and his wife are probably sharing an apple id for an iTunes account. When you send a message to his apple id (email) it goes to every idevice that is set to use that apple id. He needs to fix that on his end. He and his wife need to each get separate apple id's to use for imessge that are different from the one they use for iTunes and the app store.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
It's the iCloud account, not the iTunes account - though these can be confusing.

iCloud accounts need to be different for iMessage to send to different devices. You can still share an iTunes account for apps and music.

KPGills

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Thanks for that. Will ask them to get different iCloud and apple ids :)

Keith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.