Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
After a long, long, long time I finally decided to delete all of my songs in iTunes and re-download them via iTunes Match. I was one of these people that swore up and down that I would not get rid of my WAV files and settle for the 256kbps version. I am listening back to the tracks and they seem fine to me. As I have grown older I find myself not listening to music as much as I used to, I listen to more podcasts these days, I just figured I would free up the 500GB of space and condense my music collection down drastically.

Besides, what else do I have to do on a Sunday other than re-download 10,000 songs!!!

HaHa, I love fiddling around with technology.

Anyone else here on the fence of this? Going from WAV to AAC?

PS I know there has been some chatter on the net of Apple perhaps going to their lossless encoding in their iTunes store, it would sure be neat if they did an upgrade down the road for iTune Match.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I find it amusing that some people demand lossless encoding and then don't have the audio equipment to reproduce it.

Way back when disk space was not as plentiful as it is now, I went and played with different mp3 encoding options. At 128K it didn't sound as good (even on ear buds I use with my iPod) as CDs did. I finally settled on "160K variable to max" - that was past the limit of my equipment (including my ears).

Now that disk space is plentiful, AAC 256K is more than enough. And if it isn't? I still have my CD collection to generate lossless files from.

The only CD I made from lossless encodings is the CD I use to test audio equipment and speakers in stores.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
I agree with you Bear that 128kbps does not sound very good. I really could hear some differences in the music especially with the cymbals on songs, had sort of an echo on them. 256k sounds much better as well as it should.

Thanks for your reply...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.