Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
I have a problem with iTunes: not only it is heavy and slows my PC a bit, Everytime I close it I need to reboot in order for it to work again. If I don't reboot and just load it, it will just freeze, won't work and won't even recognize my iPhone.
What I did notice is that loading iTunes also loads a few other processes: Applemobiledevicehelper.exe, iPodservice.exe, and iTuneshelper.exe, and even after closing iTunes they are still running, and also the main process iTunes.exe is still running. Closing all of them manually and loading iTunes again won't help.

iTunes version: 10.5.3

Anyone knows how to fix this? It is unbearable having to reboot all the time in order to use iTunes.

TIA

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Uninstall and reinstall iTunes?
And it won't delete all my backups and my apps?

Also, I've read online that uninstalling iTunes leaves a lot of "leftovers" on the PC, some which have to be removed manually. Is that correct?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

Also, I've read online that uninstalling iTunes leaves a lot of "leftovers" on the PC, some which have to be removed manually. Is that correct?

No, it will leave the iTunes library folder alone.

I don't know about leftovers.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

The 'leftovers' is the iTunes media folder and probably library files. Your media stays intact. Uninstall and re-install.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
After reading on the Apple support forums here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
There are 6 software components that I have to uninstall in order to completely remove iTunes, in that order:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour(What is this thing?)
Apple Application Support

Is that correct?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
After reading on the Apple support forums here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
There are 6 software components that I have to uninstall in order to completely remove iTunes, in that order:

iTunes
QuickTime
Apple Software Update
Apple Mobile Device Support
Bonjour(What is this thing?)
Apple Application Support

Is that correct?

Don't worry about all that right now, just uninstall the iTunes app and reinstall.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes didn't solve this problem.

Any solutions?

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
I would have to say something else is going on with your PC. I have been using Windows PCs with iTunes and the iPhone since it first came out; using XP, Vista and now Windows 7. I have never had the problem you are describing, however I am not doubting you are having an issue. If you uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes "exactly" step by step from that Apple Support document you listed (HT1923) it should work. I have recommended that to many people on the Apple support forum and it has worked fine. I have run into occasions where iTunes would freeze, but closing it with Task Manager and then restarting it has always resolved the problem.

Have you looked into Device Manager when you have the phone connected and see if there are any hardware conflicts or error messages displayed? Other than following all of the steps in the support document, I can offer no further assistance than what I have posted. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of iTunes?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I have a problem with iTunes: not only it is heavy and slows my PC a bit, Everytime I close it I need to reboot in order for it to work again. If I don't reboot and just load it, it will just freeze, won't work and won't even recognize my iPhone.
What I did notice is that loading iTunes also loads a few other processes: Applemobiledevicehelper.exe, iPodservice.exe, and iTuneshelper.exe, and even after closing iTunes they are still running, and also the main process iTunes.exe is still running. Closing all of them manually and loading iTunes again won't help.

Anyone knows how to fix this? It is unbearable having to reboot all the time in order to use iTunes.

TIA
Windows isn't particularly good at managing Apple software. Hopefully, that will change with Windows 8, but for now uninstall iTunes via uninstall programs option and reinstall a fresh copy from cnet or apple. I just installed parallels (Windows 7) on my iMac and was having a hell of a time getting iTunes to load from Apple.com. Went to another source and iTunes loaded and has been working fine.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
I would have to say something else is going on with your PC. I have been using Windows PCs with iTunes and the iPhone since it first came out; using XP, Vista and now Windows 7. I have never had the problem you are describing, however I am not doubting you are having an issue. If you uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes "exactly" step by step from that Apple Support document you listed (HT1923) it should work. I have recommended that to many people on the Apple support forum and it has worked fine. I have run into occasions where iTunes would freeze, but closing it with Task Manager and then restarting it has always resolved the problem.

Have you looked into Device Manager when you have the phone connected and see if there are any hardware conflicts or error messages displayed? Other than following all of the steps in the support document, I can offer no further assistance than what I have posted. Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of iTunes?
I have the 32-bit version.
And, I asked here about that support document and was told to just uninstall and reinstall iTunes.
Also, I had Quicktime on the PC before installing iTunes, so now I have to uninstall that to?

----------

Windows isn't particularly good at managing Apple software. Hopefully, that will change with Windows 8, but for now uninstall iTunes via uninstall programs option and reinstall a fresh copy from cnet or apple. I just installed parallels (Windows 7) on my iMac and was having a hell of a time getting iTunes to load from Apple.com. Went to another source and iTunes loaded and has been working fine.
Already uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, didn't help.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Something has went screwy with Windows 7. Either something got corrupted, a dll got overwritten, the registry fouled up, trojan, virus, who knows.

If you haven't reinstalled Windows in a year or so it just gets slower and worse over time.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
OK, I've uninstalled again per the support document and downloaded it again from Apple.com. Does it install Quicktime to or do I have to download it separately?

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
If you haven't reinstalled Windows in a year or so it just gets slower and worse over time.

That is not true. I had a Windows computer for 5 years and never once reinstalled Windows-and I had no problems with it (other than normal slow down.)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
OP, I had this problem too. An update fixed it, maybe just wait it out. Also, before you do anything drastic and reinstall Windows, blueroom is talking crap. If you use even the slightest bit of common sense when using Windows you never need to reinstall it.

OK, I've uninstalled again per the support document and downloaded it again from Apple.com. Does it install Quicktime to or do I have to download it separately?
As I remember it installs Quicktime automatically.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

TIA

I know somebody already said it but I'll say it again.....

You are having issues because you don't have a mac :D

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Still his answer is irrelevant to the topic here as it's about iTunes on a Windows PC.

Your topic is also irrelevant to this section of the forum (ie iPhone). If you would like a relevant answer then you should post it in the correct section or forum.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

iTunes for Windows no longer includes or requires Quicktime.

That is not true. I had a Windows computer for 5 years and never once reinstalled Windows-and I had no problems with it (other than normal slow down.)

Same here, I have been using Windows and Mac for a long time. I never had a major problem with either. As long as you install software from reputable sources they both behave solidly.

OP: Here are some tips you could try:

1. Make sure Windows is up to date.

2. If you are not using an AV program get Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free.

3. Make sure you don't have any third party App that uses iTunes running in the background. For example some IM apps use iTunes to display "now playing", and lyrics apps also use iTunes. Also remove third party iTunes plugins before uninstalling.

4. Try uninstalling with the free version of Revo uninstaller.

5. A windows re-install is not required unless something major broke in the OS, in that case you would have problems with all programs not just iTunes.

rfe777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Your topic is also irrelevant to this section of the forum (ie iPhone). If you would like a relevant answer then you should post it in the correct section or forum.
As far as I can tell there is no specific section in this forum for iTunes problems so I posted here as it is about using iTunes with an iPhone.

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire
the items on that list that Apple says need to be removed...well...they need to be removed, and then checked to make sure they are gone...THEN reinstall iTunes.

The advice"don't worry about those right now" was incorrect.

also, turn off any anti virus software you may have and see if iTunes works better after that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.