Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackiepie

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
I agree with you. If a siri on iPad can't access to internet all the time, it will be useless, at least wifi only. Maybe it will only be available on 3G&WIFI.

chipmac64

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
This post brings up something I hadn't considered. I'm thinking of buying my first iPad but haven't decided if it will be a discounted iPad 2 or the new one but I was pretty set on just getting a WIFI only version. Are there many popular apps that users are using that require an internet connection that makes buy a 3g version a must. I have an android phone and I notice that even many games need that data connection just to upload high scores or use openfeint. So if I buy a WIFI only model will I be limiting myself too much as to which apps I can run?

dell who?

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Cali
The factor being omitted here is microphone functionality. Siri works on the 4S because the mic is upgraded relative to its predecessors. It also makes sense on a phone because holding a phone up to your face is accepted. Even if the same mic went into the iPad 3 would people actually hold it up to their face to use Siri? Granted you could attach headphones with a mic built in, but to live up to the experience Apple wants everyone to have then the mic implement on the headphones would have to be overhauled as well. That's my two cents. Curious to see what happens...

falcora

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
The factor being omitted here is microphone functionality. Siri works on the 4S because the mic is upgraded relative to its predecessors. It also makes sense on a phone because holding a phone up to your face is accepted. Even if the same mic went into the iPad 3 would people actually hold it up to their face to use Siri? Granted you could attach headphones with a mic built in, but to live up to the experience Apple wants everyone to have then the mic implement on the headphones would have to be overhauled as well. That's my two cents. Curious to see what happens...

I never use Siri held up to my face. I just push and hold the home button and it works just fine sitting on a desk, in the car, etc. But you are right, the microphone system in the iPad 3 probably needs an upgrade.

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
When did these forums become all about how to cripple Apple products?

We don't need quad core
We don't need Siri
We don't need better cameras
We don't need styluses
We don't need touchscreen Macs
We don't néed Apple Televisions
We don't need USB3
We don't need bigger iPhone as an option
We don't need smaller/bigger iPads as an option

Lately it just feels like people are rooting for things to stay the same rather than encouraging change. I don't mean to offend anyone, but is it because some people fear change without Jobs giving his approval?

Well, for me I rather have more practical things, such as much improved battery life or making all application able to work over 3g instead of being rooted to wifi. I'm all for change, but I want these changes, not the ones you listed.

The stuff listed above are nice, but not a need for me.

parsublan1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
I really hope that apple brings siri to the new iPad. I am concerned though as apple has demonstrated in the past that certain things are meant for the iPhone vs. the iPad. What come to mind is leaving off the clock and calculator apps when the iPad was first introduced. Also I believe voice control was also left off the original iPad. When they demonstrate Siri in commercials it's typically in a highly mobile setting and not the typical couch type setting they have in the iPad commercials. we'll see as I really hope they bring it to the new iPad.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Good points...

Of course we'd be fine with Apple implementing Siri. But would they?

I see how Apple might not want to implement such a limited feature. Wifi iPads (which is probably the majority of them) would be left stranded outside of homes or coffee shops.

Ok the other hand, like a user already mentioned... They already did this with FaceTime.

So, in conclusion... Who knows?

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Where did you get that background? I like it.

Here:

iphone-wallpaper-blueprint-background.jpg

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
The voice recognition itself is performed on the server, similar to Google's voice recognition.

It limits offline use, but it gives better results. Speech recognition is complex. Samples are statistically matched against enormous data sets by ANNs (Artificial Neural Networks), based on machine learning algorithms that are continuously crunching more data. In some sense, it's an enormous search engine.

This approach deals with variations quite well, provided you have a large enough dataset.

Google translate does a similar thing: their engine is based on enormous collections of translated books and things on the web. They process that with some keywords to its context and place in the sentence, and the result is much better translations. They also use machine learning if you make corrections to the translation.

So it's really important that speech recognition is done on the server.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I agree with you. If a siri on iPad can't access to internet all the time, it will be useless, at least wifi only. Maybe it will only be available on 3G&WIFI.
To say Siri shouldn't exist on the iPad WiFi simply because it doesn't have universal connectivity is silly because if people consciously purchased the WiFi-ONLY to use in situations where they know there's internet. Open Safari when at home or at a coffee shop, don't open it when you're hiking.

Last edited:

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
this makes no sense to me. one of the reasons why i often want to use siri is when im unable to connect to the internet, so i make reminders for when i am able to acces the internet. for example, if i want to search wikipedia for something but i dont have internet, i would ask siri to remind me at a later time to search for whatever i wanted to search for.

theres no reason why Siri shouldnt work offline. to make reminders, notes, to call someone, to play music....... the old voice control on iphones worked perfectly offline. i understand that there would be limitations but you cant just deny Siri to ipad users simply because they are not always online.

The problem here is segmentation of the app. Suddenly you have portions of Siri that work offline, and portions that do not. This does not exactly make it easier or more enjoyable for the user, as opposed to simply telling them "Siri needs the internet" and having it be all-on or all-off.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I've got a 4S and have used Siri maybe 5 times since I bought it. Conversely, I use FaceTime at least a couple times per day.

Everyone's mileage/preferences are different. To each their own. Lets just hope Apple provides something for everyone in the iPad 3. Given the sales of the iPad 1/2....I'm betting they will.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I understand the logic behind your post. But as long as Apple makes users understand that they're not always going to be able to use Siri, (it's 2012 people should know) then that's fine.

It'd be quite interesting if they put a local version for Siri. Commands like, what's the time, play this song... On my 3GS that used to work wherever I was.. connected or not.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Siri works on the iPhone because the user always has Internet connectivity. Data plans are mandatory and can't be added or removed. I can't even recall the last time my iPhone didn't have data reception through either 3G or wifi.

On the iPad however, the majority of users buy wifi only tablets, others buy the 3G, but then don't keep their accounts consistently active. Siri would only work over wifi in these instances. When Siri only works at home, it kind of breaks the illusion of being a personal assistant.

In short, it creates a poor user experience, and I doubt Apple will incorporate Siri into iPads or iPods. I hope I'm wrong, I just don't see it.

Not a valid reason.

If you had a Wi-fi Ipad you could ask it to search google, play music, take a picture and so on. There's a million reasons why Siri should come to the Ipad and lots of us don't buy the 3G as we don't carry it around everywhere. It's a laptop device for many.

Plus if Siri comes to the TV what's your excuse then? Who is going to buy a 3G tv to carry around lol? :p :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.