Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm about to buy my first mac and have a question I can't find an answer to. If I use my FaceTime login on an iMac can she FaceTime my iPhone or will she need her own account? Can you have multiple accounts as I would like to be able FaceTime my wife's iPad 2 and daughter's iPod? Also can we have a three way conversation? I don't think it's possible but you guys may know a work around.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot call the same FaceTime address that your are calling out from. The caller and the recipient of the call must have a different address.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Your wife and daughter need to have their own accounts so that you are able to face time them. An apple account is free so it is a no issue.

As far as I know you can only have a one to one conversation. However there are other services that allows group video calling like Skype (though you need to pay to have that feature and I am not sure if you are able to group chat from its devices. )

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Your wife and daughter need to have their own accounts so that you are able to face time them. An apple account is free so it is a no issue.

As far as I know you can only have a one to one conversation. However there are other services that allows group video calling like Skype (though you need to pay to have that feature and I am not sure if you are able to group chat from its devices. )

But if we have separate accounts won't we end up paying for apps three times? At the moment my wife,daughter and I all share one apple id to keep it simple. They have separate email accounts which allow iMessage and FaceTime, but as I'll want to use the iMac with my address not sure how multiple email accounts will work.

ObuckiO

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
I'm about to buy my first mac and have a question I can't find an answer to. If I use my FaceTime login on an iMac can she FaceTime my iPhone or will she need her own account? Can you have multiple accounts as I would like to be able FaceTime my wife's iPad 2 and daughter's iPod? Also can we have a three way conversation? I don't think it's possible but you guys may know a work around.
In your 2nd sentence, when you say "She" are you talking about your wife or your imac?
This got me wondering about Facetime. I hope this helps...
I am the only user of my MacBook, which upgrading to Lion provided Facetime on.
On my iPhone4(not jailbroke), i can Facetime my MacBook, by having my email address saved as contact on iphone// I can Facetime from MacBook to my iphone's by calling phone number or by my saved email address.
Of course, I can't Facetime from iphone to MacBook by phone number.
As to the part of your question about can "She"(if it's your imac) call your iphone, then i would say yes.
It took me awhile to think how this could help you, and if it even could, but on MacBook in Facetime> Preferences> It shows you can "add another email".
I don't know if this is with how everyone works it or you can tweek the settings to fit you iMac. The part that stood out for me was,(from Mac) calling to my iphone's saved email address. And the rest of the earlier post's seem to have covered the account issue. Sorry if this is no help.. but i learned a little off it.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The she is my wife not the iMac. Sorry this wasn't clear. Yes I think this will mean I can FaceTime the IMac via the email address option from my iPhone. When I eventually get the iMac the process might be straight forward. I just need to get on and release the 2012 model. I really hope it's soon so I can start putting all the things I have learned into practise!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.