Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
I always listen to "electronica" through the iTunes radio feature.
All other radio genres work except this particular one. When I click the arrow that displays all stations I get:

An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later.

Is something wrong? How do I fix it?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
You can't fix it. It's the url the radio station submits to iTunes. Sometimes they put out the wrong url and fix it a day or 2 later.

I don't see any radio stations at all, it happens when I click the genre "Eletronica" itself. So there's nothing I can do on my part?

doxavita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Maybe an intermittant disconnect with iTunes ?

What's that? Could it be a glitch with my program? Haven't disconnected from internet as far as I know.

Can you please open your itunes radio and try it?

UPDATE: International/World doesn't work either, I never listen to that genre... so I hope it's a problem on their side, out of the 25 genres, only those 2 don't work...

UPDATE 2: they fixed it!, both genres now work, only had to wait.

Last edited:

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
New York
I'm having the same issue except none of the stations work. Everything was fine yesterday, until my son played with my macbook pro this morning.

My iMac works fine but not the Mbook.......what would be the problem since they are both on same wifi network at home?

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
I'm getting this same error message now too. None of the radio genres I've tried are currently working. Any idea what's going on? Nothing has changed on my end between Friday (when things were working) and today.....

tkao2025

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
New York
I'm getting this same error message now too. None of the radio genres I've tried are currently working. Any idea what's going on? Nothing has changed on my end between Friday (when things were working) and today.....
There's a big discussion on Apple Support Forum. Seems like it's affecting people all over the world. Hope Apple fixes soon.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3759877?tstart=0

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Ya, I started having this problem about 3 days ago. I found a bunch of posts on the Apple support forums, so clearly others having the same issues.

I have not had great luck with Lion in general (new 27" iMac bought in December). I have had wifi issues, which there are threads 100's of pages long about over at the Apple support forums.

Now I have this radio issue to add to the list.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
yeah, Lion has been very buggy for me too. I'm coming from Leopard which seems flawless compared to this.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
I wonder what's going on. Seems like a pretty wide outage for quite a bit of time now. Surely Apple must know about it?

D

DennyJD

iTunes Reply

Here's an oddball answer for you. We are in a time of huge sun spot disturbances until March 8th. I have received a few emails from my ISP stating to expect some short outages, mostly on TV.

Maybe????

Gatoraid

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
iTunes radio error

Judging by the dates on some of these posts this seems to be an ongoing problem of sorts. Today is 3-1-12 and none of the iTunes radio stations are functioning on my Macbook pro. Quite disappointing in that this seems to be a major problem experienced by many Mac owners as of today.

The error message:
"An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later."

occurs when you try to connect to any of the radio stations offered previously in iTunes.

If anyone is privy to why this is occurring please let the rest of us know.

With Steve Jobs gone lets hope Apple can keep it's act together!

cbrady

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
itunes radio problem

Not really a solution but I figured out a workaround. Try downloading the playlist of the radio station you're trying to listen to from its website. You can then play that in itunes like you do normally.

pcdogma

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Itunes radio not connecting...

Here's something I have started to do as a semi work-around.. If you keep trying the categories once in a while they respond. WHEN THEY DO - create a playlist, highlight ALL of the stations in that category and drag them into the playlist. They will play from there. To make it easy, name the playlist the same as the category. Steve Jobs must be rolling over. Apple's silence on this is annoying.

chipbeam

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
same issue

Mine has been fine till yesterday, now (March 5) I can not connect to any genres a or stations Any news? This must be an iTunes prob......too many with same issue

Uncle Scotty

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
St. Catharines, ON, Canada
I don't think so!

You can't fix it. It's the url the radio station submits to iTunes. Sometimes they put out the wrong url and fix it a day or 2 later.

Not when ALL radio stations aren't working!!

----------

ahhh. It's the genre' not the station. My mistake.

Maybe an intermittant disconnect with iTunes ?

Other than that I have no idea.

You're mistaken again! No stations.......no genres......nothing is connecting.

And as someone else mentioned, it's only "somewhat" a relief that it's not MY fault ........for a change. (Not a TOTAL relief, though, cause I'M PAYING for my favourite "user supported" radio station......and I can't receive it!!

Uncle Scotty

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Judging by the dates on some of these posts this seems to be an ongoing problem of sorts. Today is 3-1-12 and none of the iTunes radio stations are functioning on my Macbook pro. Quite disappointing in that this seems to be a major problem experienced by many Mac owners as of today.

The error message:
"An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later."

Guess what!?!?!

It ain't just Mac owners.

I own a Lenovo PC AND a Macbook......and neither one is working.....so, don't feel "special". :)

Uncle Scotty

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Strange that SOME categories are available......

.....but not others.

And, of course, it's always the ones you DON'T want that ARE available......like COUNTRY!! (No offense, all you country fans.......you probably get Alternative Rock......but not the stuff YOU want, right? (Murphy's Law of Internet Radio reception.) LOL

After clicking every category about 5 times......I was finally able to get several in the "upper range"......namely Ambient, Blues, Classic Rock, Comedy, College. (Still not able to make it down to my beloved Eclectic).

And I did what another poster mentioned: I created several Playlists in the lefthand column with the same names as the categories I COULD receive and copied ALL the radio stations, en masse, from each category, into my corresponding Playlist.

They seem to be working fine from there......for now......but I haven't been able to test and see if that's just because they ALREADY work the "old fashioned" way.

As the Japanese like to say.........we will study.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
No solution for iTunes Radio

I upgrade to the latest iTunes 10.6 and no change. According to Apple Care telephone support you CANNOT go to a 8 or 9 cause Steve Jobs
would not permit that to work ... we need to go forward ...he said not backward...so I guess we need to wait until iTunes 11 or maybe 12 or perhaps 13....eventually it will be a application of 1 gb with all the crap they put in it...but even in Death, Jobs way or the highway.
Hey steve...you did it your way...based on results...you're dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.