Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Runstopper

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Photoshop on iPad 1

To all those who are complaining about Photoshop not working on an iPad 1, that's just not true. I have a 1st gen iPad and Photoshop works fine on it.

I did a few of the tutorials and everything.

I think that it's not officially supported on an iPad 1 but it does run. There's no restrictions that prevent it from running on one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just bought it. €7.99 here. So far it's seems ok, haven't had too much time to put it through its paces though.

Love the layers feature, how you can spin image around and see the layers in 3D space, much akin to the layer re-ordering in Word 2011. Very class. Hope to see this in CS6

Last edited:

Inakto

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
toronto
maybe when iPad 3 comes out with its completely ridiculous display the actual productivity potential of the iPad might begin to rise... Imagine Adobe Photoshop CS7 Touch Edition, or something like that.
iPad is a maturing platform...

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
1600 x 1600 pixels? now thats too small. but hey, its just 9,99 on the other hand.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
The current resolution limit is impractical. If Snapseed can manage selective edits up to 16 megapixels, why can Photoshop only handle 2.5? I understand the addition of layers and complex manipulations need memory, but why not allow a user-opted size override... unless it truly does become unstable?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Obligatory, "Too bad it doesn't run on my iPad 1" post.

Still though, I'm curious as to what about it requires the A5 over the iPad 1's A4. Nevertheless, especially with iOS 5 over 4, and 4 over 3, I'm starting to feel my iPad 1's age. It runs fine, but it's slower than it was in iOS versions past. So it goes with iOS devices...

Still though, I can tolerate that kind of obsolescence time on something like an iPod touch, but on an iPad that costs double that? I hope this improves with time. Anyway, I digress, yay for Adobe coming out with something substantial for the iPad!

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
To all those who are complaining about Photoshop not working on an iPad 1, that's just not true. I have a 1st gen iPad and Photoshop works fine on it.

I did a few of the tutorials and everything.

I think that it's not officially supported on an iPad 1 but it does run. There's no restrictions that prevent it from running on one.

It's not working on the iPad 1st gen. It says it requires "camera" to work which is utter bull.

Now let me go back to my Quadra with 64 MB and edit images above 1600*1200 on it...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Fragmentation occurs when new devices come out with older, or different/cloned, versions of the OS. According to this article, "Gingerbread is still adding devices 14 times faster than ICS".

Only if the tools provided by the vendor don't make provisions for such an event. Android is quite prepared for it, telling you exactly how to target the broader or limited audience you want, by using API levels (rather than letting you figure out which classes are present or not on a device by yourself) :

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

No need to hunt the web for articles about device versions, Google provides it right there for everyone to see. That's because they've baked in resilience to fragmentation and aside from the media jumping on the whole thing, it's a big non-issue. They even have a dashboard for screen sizes and resolutions :

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/screens.html

Probably due to memory.

As for running "the whole photoshop" on a windows tablet: Just cross your fingers that the windows tablet will arrive with at least 8GB RAM.

Since when did Photoshop start requiring 8 GB of RAM ? Like some other poster pointed out, it used to run on computers with 64 MB of RAM with layers/history and a tons of tools/plugins. CS 5 runs fine on my 4 GB Air and it's far from even using a quarter of that RAM.

Really depends on what you're editing there.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Probably due to memory.

As for running "the whole photoshop" on a windows tablet: Just cross your fingers that the windows tablet will arrive with at least 8GB RAM.

It is not about memory - Snapseed can use 16 MP on iPad 2 (it can do 6.25 MP on iPad 1).

This is artificial barrier from adobe not to use it for anything serious.

Its not on iPad 1 because of their AIR platfrom they used to developed it. AIR sucks big way.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
It'll be interesting to see how well this app does. Some would say that tablets offer a better interface (touch) for manipulating images. Others would say that tablets are too limited in their abilities (right now) to be of use to a true PS user. I'm actually surprised that we haven't seen this app sooner.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Looks to me it doesn't support the original due to it not having a camera (which is used for a fill feature). They could have supported the original iPad, by disabling the camera fill function but chose not to.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It'll be interesting to see how well this app does. Some would say that tablets offer a better interface (touch) for manipulating images.

Yes, finger painting has been the superior way of manipulating images for the history of the world. :D

Stylus based tablets would be even better, evidenced by the decades of stylus based tablet designs for desktops, by vendors such as Wacom.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Layers, layers, layers! This is awesome.

Wanted features: layer styles, adjustment layers, and of course, bigger than 1600x1600 (though I can't see how they'll stick with that too long after the iPad 3 is released).

They've rejiggered quite a few things to work better with touch, and I'm liking it. I can't stop playing with this thing!

irmongoose

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012

If the tablet is running ARM Cortex A9 or A15 on a 32-bit design it won't be able to handle more than 2 GB because of the memory controller thats integrated into every currently available ARM CPU.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
One obvious reason for Adobe's iOS version being so cheap is that while i'm sure the jailbreak community is large on iOS, it's nothing compared to that on a desktop platform. I'd be surprised if 1 in100 ... heck 1 in 1000 copies of Photoshop on Windows / Mac is not pirated, but on iOS that might be 1 in 3?

Piracy on an iOS device requires a concerted effort comparatively to how casually it can be done on a desktop.

Oh and yes I know that the features of this pales in comparison to 'real' photoshop, but it's progress!

Anyway, one good thing about high profile apps like this, is the immediate assumption that you need a stylus to operate it properly and anything that can get Apple to take that seriously is great.

A2H GO

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
The should bring out a trackpad and stylus with 30 pin dock connector now. That way they could implement all the missing features for full blown PS on iPad.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why is it so hard to understand -- it should almost be axiomatic -- that this is Adobe "dabbling," and that PS Touch 1.0 is meant to be taken with all the seriousness as a ride at Disney World. Some of you (you know who you are) with the furrowed brow upset PS Touch 1.0 isn't a professional app need to come out of your burrow and enjoy the sunlight. This is an amusing proof of concept, and solid one too. The future of tablet computing only goes up from here. (Does anyone remember Digital Darkroom on the original Mac?)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The should bring out a trackpad and stylus with 30 pin dock connector now. That way they could implement all the missing features for full blown PS on iPad.

You mean a drawing tablet? Even with the greater precision they can offer, that seems kind of redundant on a touchscreen device. Especially with pressure sensitive stylii like the JaJa on the horizon.

tracer_analog

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bought the app this morning, no issues here. It's surprisingly useful, and a nice companion to my CS5.

I like it.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

For those of you complaining about precision... Nobody has mentioned the feature that allows you to turn a section of the ipad display into a trackpad. Pretty slick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.