Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In Like Flynn

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
The sgs3 comes out in a couple weeks
The iphone 5 won't be out til next spring
Apple is at least a year behind at this point

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How so? Support your claim. Are you basing your assertion just on specs? How many threads do we need touting the latest rumored Android device and how it's specs will give Apple a run for the money? It never been just specs that make iOS devices appealing. I'm not saying "specs don't matter" but "specs aren't everything".

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I'll never buy another Samsung product(I realize their parts are in everything). However, I disdain Samsung advertising campaign that basically labels Apple users as idiots.

Yes, we are stupid for wanting a Hardware/Software quality that no other manufacturer has come close to matching at this point(Desktop/Laptop/iDevice). Sorry, we don't want an uber-spec'd device that requires a holster to carry, and breaks down in 9 months.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I love how they are pushing the limits of smartphones. We need this to move forward. Sorry, but I want to live in the future. Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I love how they are pushing the limits of smartphones. We need this to move forward. Sorry, but I want to live in the future. Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.

OK but we don't walk around with TV's all day. 4.8 inches is a bit ridiculous. I have no problems with the size of the iphone screen.

If anybody thinks Apple will have a 4.5 inch screen or higher they are in for a rude awakening. Maybe, just maybe they will bump it up a bit but it wont be one of these huge phablets.

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
Just like every other Galaxy S.x. Did they even compete with the iPhone 3?

Take a look at the current Galaxy S II. It's fast, has a great quality screen and is very thin. What are you basing your comment on?

----------

How so? Support your claim. Are you basing your assertion just on specs? How many threads do we need touting the latest rumored Android device and how it's specs will give Apple a run for the money? It never been just specs that make iOS devices appealing. I'm not saying "specs don't matter" but "specs aren't everything".

I don't think the OP is comparing these future phones based on specs alone.

The GSIII seems to be a very impressive phone in terms of specs, form factor, and design. I'm not surprised if many current iphone owners switch over.

----------

OK but we don't walk around with TV's all day. 4.8 inches is a bit ridiculous. I have no problems with the size of the iphone screen.

If anybody thinks Apple will have a 4.5 inch screen or higher they are in for a rude awakening. Maybe, just maybe they will bump it up a bit but it wont be one of these huge phablets.

To each his own, I suppose.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Screens are getting larger on smartphones, but also getting thinner...the same for flat screen tv's.

Next thing you'll know, we'll be walking around with laptops strapped to our heads.
Yes, bigger phones is where its at! lol
[/sarcasm]

I understand many wanting larger screens. But where does it stop? Its a phone with other options.
I read that people want a small tablet that includes a phone. I feel they have it backwards.

But of course, I now see these newer TVs with wifi built in and video cameras coming built in as well, then I see the future of our telephone calls.
And the future of the government surveillance on its citizens.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Samsung = Bad

I'll never buy another Samsung product, phones included...

I purchased a brand new HDTV from them in 2009. It had the well known capacitor issue. About 3 months ago I called about it. Customer service was terrible. My TV JUST fell out of warranty by a week, yet they would do nothing. The time/cost to replace the bad capacitors was $5 for the parts, and 15 minutes for a qualified repair person.

I've had Apple products that were well out of warranty, but had known problems [Macbook Palmrest issue]. Brought it in, and they didn't even hesitate to replace it, at NO COST.

Samsung can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and they can start with their cheap, plastic, crappy phones.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Why is it even a question whether it'll have decent competition? Samsung's Galaxy S II put up a big fight this last year. The iPhone's lackluster 4S upgrade put's Apple in an even worse spot than before.

The Galaxy S III will rock.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
1080p on a smartphone? What is wrong with some people.

The way Samsung push these specs for one up man ship is pathetic.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

But the phone is thin and light. 4.8" isn't a bit ridiculous, if most of the screen is glass. If Apple comes out with a 4.5" or bigger phone, people around here will praise it and think its "amazing." Who knows? Maybe Apple will. It seems like Tim is running Apple slightly different than Steve. I guess we will have to wait until next week...we may see a smaller iPad...everyone said Apple will never release one...

If you think 3.5" is perfect, then stick with the current iPhones...Apple knows its time to move into the 4" range.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I'd buy it, but only if there are various models like before, and in which I hope AT&T goes the smart route again like the GSII by doing a smaller 4.3" screen version in a very thin phone and not being much bigger then our 4/4S. Don't really want anything over that size, but that's not to say others don't... obviously a market for that, I don't want the Note either but it's perfect for their "niche" market their targeting. I like our iphones (have 3gs/4/4s) but I love my GSII, and that's from someone who didn't care for Android before.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Oh my goodness gracious! Are you suggesting that some other silly phone could compete with the (***drum roll***) iPhone 5!!??:eek:

I'm appalled!

I'm offended!!

I'm flabbergasted!!!

And on MacRumors, no less!!

Where's ltd when we need him to set you straight on some of life's Truths.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :D:D:D

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
When you release 1 model every 12-15 months as Apple does with the iPhone it's very much a case of one size fits all!! They cannot afford to speculate or gamble on screen size and what most people are comfortable with and others not.

A huge amount of research has probably gone into 3.5" and why that is ergonomically the most suitable size for a smart phone.

Having said that they under increasing pressure to go above 3.5", maybe 3.7" or 4".

And perhaps it's time for more than 1 model or time to differentiate models not only through hardrive capacities but screen size too. IE iPhone 5 3.5", iPhone 5 4", iPhone 5 4.3"... Accommodate folk who looking for more real estate from their handsets without alienating those who are comfortable with 3.5"....

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
1080p on a smartphone? What is wrong with some people.

The way Samsung push these specs for one up man ship is pathetic.

Hello? These are specs that actually matter.

Big screen, high resolution, more content at once, and more crisp. Imagine comfortably web browsing (with non-mobile versions of sites) on your phone.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hello? These are specs that actually matter.

Big screen, high resolution, more content at once, and more crisp. Imagine comfortably web browsing (with non-mobile versions of sites) on your phone.

Wut??

So you think a 1080p screen (which is suitable on a 55" LCD TV) is suitable for a 4.5" screen?

Whats the point!?

ABadSanta

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
When the Galaxy runs iOS, then it will compete with the iPhone 5.

To be fair, I'm an iPhone owner and I think ICS is a very polished mobile OS. It has a lot going for it, and on the Galaxy Nexus, is simply beautiful.

----------

When you release 1 model every 12-15 months as Apple does with the iPhone it's very much a case of one size fits all!! They cannot afford to speculate or gamble on screen size and what most people are comfortable with and others not.

A huge amount of research has probably gone into 3.5" and why that is ergonomically the most suitable size for a smart phone.

Having said that they under increasing pressure to go above 3.5", maybe 3.7" or 4".

And perhaps it's time for more than 1 model or time to differentiate models not only through hardrive capacities but screen size too. IE iPhone 5 3.5", iPhone 5 4", iPhone 5 4.3"... Accommodate folk who looking for more real estate from their handsets without alienating those who are comfortable with 3.5"....

I think Apple has prospered from the lack of choice- everyone fits under the same umbrella, instead of being confused by multiple different handsets like with Android.

I know many who go iOS because they know exactly what they're going to get. Whereas with Android, the fragmentation may be polarizing.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Ok, the current Android phones are nice. So!! For the past couple years they have been nice but the iPhone 5 will be a game changer like the 4 was. Thats almost a certainty.

We know that samsung will come with some big screened phone with hella specs. It wont be any different from now.

The software will still be buggy and the eco and support systems will still be weak compared to Apples so at the end of the day, Android will still be Android. And Apple will still be selling boat loads of phones because its devices are well trusted vs anyone else.

Its going to take more than a bigger screen and specs the world isnt even ready for to make a difference.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Samsung can stick it where the sun doesn't shine, and they can start with their cheap, plastic, crappy phones.

I always laugh when iPhone fans say this and the first thing that most do with their amazing iPhone is stick it in a plastic case. I know some go naked but most use cases. So if you have a plastic case on the phone does it really matter if the phone itself is made of plastic?

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I like these new devices, too big for me, but nice to have the options. Apples one size fits all policy is very limited. I personally would like something around 4 inches, 4.3 max if the screen was edge to edge. But I know other people who would find that too big and then there are people who would find it too small. It would be nice if they had a range of screen sizes like they do with their laptop lines, but keep the hardware the same (apart from storage).

I like android, but prefer IOS. What annoys me about android is its fragmentation, every manufacturer has their own version of android and you don't know when you'll get the next OS update (or if you even get it).

I don't get all the bitching that goes on from both sides. It's fantastic that the 2 OS's co-exist as otherwise neither would have the incentive to innovate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.