Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ciacorp

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
However, there are no stand-alone version of Mac server software anymore (instead "upgrade" via buy @ mac app store)...

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Follow the guide and search for x3100 64 bit driver from 10.6.2 and you will be nearly happy. What I miss is the lost of smb and afp shares on my MB3.1 late 2007 X3100. Kernel 32 no longer support smb and afp.

So, all i need to do is search for x3100 64 bit driver and install it? Or do i have to modify the installer again?

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
So, all i need to do is search for x3100 64 bit driver and install it? Or do i have to modify the installer again?

As far as I know there is no 64-bit driver for the x3100, that is the whole reason for having to go through this procedure to get ML installed. It's also the reason the 64-bit kernel can't be loaded.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
As far as I know there is no 64-bit driver for the x3100, that is the whole reason for having to go through this procedure to get ML installed. It's also the reason the 64-bit kernel can't be loaded.

My question is essentially that how could i solve this problem:" The additional components needed to install OS*X can't be found." when installer begin to install Mac OS X. I am getting as far as choosing partition to install after that, installer will try to downloading some stuff. This error pops up after that.

ZhouFang

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
missing driver bundle

where can i get or download AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle? dont tell me have to download lion and install it on virtual machine. could somebody email me the bundle? please?

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Help, it doesn't work, I did everything you said from step 5-7, but still not able to boot into it, I am desperate because I already erased my internal hd now my Mac won't work, so help. On start up it shows a prohibited sign and if I press command-v it says this version of Mac OS x is not supported on this platform Mac-f22788c8:(

Add that ID to PlatformSupport.plist

----------

where can i get or download AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle? dont tell me have to download lion and install it on virtual machine. could somebody email me the bundle? please?

Distributing copyright files is prohibited in this forum. Just google up, you might be able to get them

----------

My question is essentially that how could i solve this problem:" The additional components needed to install OS*X can't be found." when installer begin to install Mac OS X. I am getting as far as choosing partition to install after that, installer will try to downloading some stuff. This error pops up after that.

You deleted the wrong file during the first few step.. Please check the installer file size, if its less then 3GB that means you did something wrong.

----------

On a side note... I was browsing Apple's dev area and found this

So according to Apple, Mac OS X 10.8 server would run supported on more Macs than 10.8 client.... hmmm?

1. February 16, 2012 11:13PM UTC

OS X Mountain Lion Seed
Server Release Notes

Minimum System Requirements

You can install this version of Server on any Macintosh server or desktop computer with:
• An Intel Core 2 Duo, i5, i7 or Xeon processor
• At least 2GB of RAM
• At least 20GB of available disk space

The requirements are almost the same for ML client.. The only thing makes it different is "*64 bit kernel" A Mac needs to have 64bit kernel to run Mountain Lion officially.

----------

Thank you for putting guide together. I originally installed ML on a Mac Pro 4,1 and then moved the drive to a 1,1 and just added the model & board to the platform support plist.

It would get to desktop but would crash when I tried to use it, allays with that "Kernels_Cl" error. When I did a fresh install that never ran on 4,1 it worked (works) just fine.

I am curious what this error was and how you have fixed it in this guide. Also, you seem to have pulled all the earlier references to "MB White" from this article, but you missed one. I am guessing that you are trying to make it useful for all models.

On the other thread, many others are experiencing the exact same issue. The problem comes from the ML OpenCL didn't initialize properly during boot as somehow it requires a 64 bit kernel. So i tried copying 32bit kernel from Lion, that didn't work (it crashes the installer instantly) so i also copied the Lion OSInstall.mkpg and that pretty much solved the problem for all unsupported Mac Pros with upgraded g. card.. Im still trying to fix the Intel X3100 next issue.

----------

This step still needs fixing. Compare what you have in your list as required kexts for the GMA950 with what you get in your SLE folder:

I have the following:

AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

You need all of these plus the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext to get the Desktop up.

Thanks for the update, ill add that into the list ;)

----------

Hi there, I have a late 07 macbook 3,1 which has the GMA X3100 and I have managed to get this to boot into 64bit kernel on lion. I was wondering if I could use the same file I made for 10.7.3 to install ML on top as an upgrade from lion. any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Screenshot here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/ishot-16.jpg

Wow.. How did you manage to boot into x64 kernel?! Can you please post the instructions? Thanks! Btw, the x3100 kext are not included by default in the ML installer, so you might run into problems too.. Please make a full time machine backup before trying anything

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Wow.. How did you manage to boot into x64 kernel?! Can you please post the instructions? Thanks! Btw, the x3100 kext are not included by default in the ML installer, so you might run into problems too.. Please make a full time machine backup before trying anything

Hi there. I have made booting up into 64bit kernel on GMA X3100 GPU's easier by creating a patch, that works with lion 10.7.3, but have not yet tested it on ML. I have also included a restore terminal script, in case you encounter any problems. I'll put a link below showing how i did it. Enter the script into your mac with terminal, then reboot and see what is says under 64bit kernel and extensions and report back.

Before intstalling patch download mod.bs patch file first then continue with typing the commands below into terminal.

Link for patch here
(PS you can just use the second part of the code from "sudo chflags nouchg" should still work)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/GMA X3100 64bit patch10.7.3/patch

Restore patch

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/GMA X3100 64bit patch10.7.3/restore

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
I managed to run Lion with 64 bit kernel with 64 bit X3100 drivers Hope this link is ok:http://swegen.blogspot.com/2011/07/bootefi-x64-patch-for-mac-os-x-lion-and.html
But in ML I have only 32 bit kernel. It must be something to do with boot.efi, which is not compatible with ML.

Here some pics. Lion 10.7.3 with 64 bit kernel:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Bildschirmfoto%202012-02-25%20um%2012.58.02.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Bildschirmfoto%202012-02-25%20um%2012.58.46.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Bildschirmfoto%202012-02-25%20um%2013.00.47.png

x3100 kext is also loaded as 64 bit in ML:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8131532/Bildschirmfoto%202012-02-25%20um%2013.23.24.png

Last edited:

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Yh I noticed that when i installed ML, the kernel and extensions went back to no, meaning 32bit, but GMA x3100 kext was still 64bit. I did set up this mac as dual boot, so I can boot into either lion or ML. when booting back into lion, kernel, extensions and the kext all go back to yes, so there is defo a problem with the boot EFI ML uses. I'm currently working on a patch to fix this issue on ML. Will report back with further progress on this.

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
This would be great, if you could patch the ml boot.efi. Thanx for your support.
I have same MB3.1,X3100, 4gb DDR2, Dualboot Lion/ML on fast 128 gb SSD.

Last edited:

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010

----------

Distributing copyright files is prohibited in this forum. Just google up, you might be able to get them

----------

You deleted the wrong file during the first few step.. Please check the installer file size, if its less then 3GB that means you did something wrong.

----------

The modified installer is 4.13GB. I basically replaced OSInstall.mpkg and EFI32.pkg and deleted the System folder replaced by the one provided on the guid. Not sure step went wrong.

Thank You

ZhouFang

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle

i could not find AppleIntelGMAX3100VLDriver.bundle in lion's system/library/extensions. any ideas where might it be?
thanx

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

----------

----------

----------

The modified installer is 4.13GB. I basically replaced OSInstall.mpkg and EFI32.pkg and deleted the System folder replaced by the one provided on the guid. Not sure step went wrong.

Thank You

try copying the files (merging it) from my modified system folder instead of deleting it

----------

Hi there. I have made booting up into 64bit kernel on GMA X3100 GPU's easier by creating a patch, that works with lion 10.7.3, but have not yet tested it on ML. I have also included a restore terminal script, in case you encounter any problems. I'll put a link below showing how i did it. Enter the script into your mac with terminal, then reboot and see what is says under 64bit kernel and extensions and report back.

Before intstalling patch download mod.bs patch file first then continue with typing the commands below into terminal.

Link for patch here
(PS you can just use the second part of the code from "sudo chflags nouchg" should still work)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/GMA X3100 64bit patch10.7.3/patch

Restore patch

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/GMA X3100 64bit patch10.7.3/restore

Cool.. Thanks for the update, ill try that later

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
The 64-bit KEXT for the GMA X3100 is incomplete and was only present in 10.6.2 by accident. It does not support Core Image (CI) or Quartz Extreme (QI). It is very much a regression over what you will get running Lion on the same machine with a 32-bit Kernel.

It is very possible that Apple will decide to support the GMA X3100 with a fully working 64-bit KEXT by the time Mountain Lion ships in machines that have a 64-bit EFI.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The 64-bit KEXT for the GMA X3100 is incomplete and was only present in 10.6.2 by accident. It does not support Core Image (CI) or Quartz Extreme (QI). It is very much a regression over what you will get running Lion on the same machine with a 32-bit Kernel.

It is very possible that Apple will decide to support the GMA X3100 with a fully working 64-bit KEXT by the time Mountain Lion ships in machines that have a 64-bit EFI.

I dont think Apple will do that, since no machine supports EFI64 uses X3100.. maybe those guys at hackintosh forums will

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I dont think Apple will do that, since no machine supports EFI64 uses X3100.. maybe those guys at hackintosh forums will

As far as I'm aware, that's not the case.

IIRC, the MacBook3,1 and MacBook4,1 both have 64-bit EFIs.

(In much the same way that the MacBookPro3,1 and MacBookPro4,1 do...)

This can be checked, of course, with:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

Recal

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Been searching for a while on a way to do this for 10.7 final retail. would this be relatively the same or is dev only?

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Been searching for a while on a way to do this for 10.7 final retail. would this be relatively the same or is dev only?

Why on earth would you want to do this? If you have a GMA X3100 based machine, at the moment, you'll lose Core Image and Quartz Extreme support...

hybrid62

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Has anybody gotten the ati x1600 graphic driver to work on mountain lion and what are the steps...right now I got it to boot to desktop.

thegr8john

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
X3100 wiith 10.6.8 or Lion

Hi there, I have a late 07 macbook 3,1 which has the GMA X3100 and I have managed to get this to boot into 64bit kernel on lion. I was wondering if I could use the same file I made for 10.7.3 to install ML on top as an upgrade from lion. any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Screenshot here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41388906/ishot-16.jpg

Hello,

Could you please let me know how you were able to get native resolution, and the guide to install Lion? Also, can you provide the kext you installed to get the X3100 working?

I have the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 with upgraded T7300 and Broadcom WiFi.

Thanks so much in advance!!

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Hello,

Could you please let me know how you were able to get native resolution, and the guide to install Lion? Also, can you provide the kext you installed to get the X3100 working?

I have the Toshiba Satellite L305-S5919 with upgraded T7300 and Broadcom WiFi.

Thanks so much in advance!!

He's using the 10.6.2 KEXT which is available in many places on the Web. Look at the screenshot and you'll see that the menu bar isn't translucent - neither Core Image or Quartz Extreme work with this KEXT and it's unstable.

What's the aversion to running your machine with a 32-bit kernel?

Recal

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Why on earth would you want to do this? If you have a GMA X3100 based machine, at the moment, you'll lose Core Image and Quartz Extreme support...

sorry, I have a few macbooks. a 1,1 and a 2007 which I cant remember. and one that will run it which is an ...09 one? anyway, I see tons of vids of people running 10.7 on their *unsupported* mac but its always the dev version. little help plox :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.