Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I tried 3 different HDMI cables before I found one that worked with my new Mac Mini, and the 3rd one is a 12 foot long one I need for my BD Player. What is the most likely reason the others aren't working? All HDMI is HDCP compliant, correct? I just want an inexpensive short(3 ft) cable that actually works.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Electric signals travel better over thick wires. All wires are not the same. And HDMI IS the big bag of hurt.

Monoprice.com is what you need. Look at the AWG ratings, smaller numbers mean larger wires inside the cable.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Electric signals travel better over thick wires. All wires are not the same. And HDMI IS the big bag of hurt.

Monoprice.com is what you need. Look at the AWG ratings, smaller numbers mean larger cables.

I know cables vary, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some technology or something that some cables don't support, or something else I had to look for. The first one I tried was one I had got from monoprice, it came with an HDMI splitter I purchased a while ago. I'm sure it was one of the cheapest they have though. Thanks for the info.

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
That's weird. Have you verified that those other two cables work with different machines (i.e your BD player)? Those two cables could be faulty / be of poor quality and that may explain why its not working with your mac-mini.

I currently use the HDMI-DVI converter for when I'm using my mac-mini on its monitor and the Apple-TV HDMI cable when I need to use it on my TV. I haven't tried the HDMI cable of mine, so I can't say for it.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
That's weird. Have you verified that those other two cables work with different machines (i.e your BD player)? Those two cables could be faulty / be of poor quality and that may explain why its not working with your mac-mini.

The first cable I tried works with my BD Player, the second one I haven't tried with anything else. They were both cheap cables, I'm sure its just the quality of the cable. That same first cable doesn't work for my Apple TV either.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Under a meter u can get away with anything. 12 meters tho you'll need something decent

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
No special tech beyond the thickness. But HDMI cables are just annoying as hell. Sometimes one cable won't work in one place for no apparent reason, but works with the next machine. I eventually just threw away all the freebie ones I've received with components. Got the thickest there are at Monoprice and they've worked great. Although my longest cable is not perfect with my newest machine, I may replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.