Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FCSsoftware

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
East Coast
Mines a bit more mac like...

My das setup with custom key caps from WASD keyboards... love it!

DasKeyboard.jpg

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
I've had it a few days now and it's awesome! It's nice not having to go through any key remapping exercises--it works great out of the box.

My 11 year old gave it thumbs up as well--he said the keys feel great, but the best part is the sound. (I agree!)

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
So... here's my deal

We just got a new Mac Pro. The keyboard SUCKS. The keys have no travel and since they arent arched inward, it's kind of a pain in the ass to use. I'm a graphic artist/pre press person so I need to be able to type stuff fairly fast. I work for a small print shop so I have to do all kinds of odd typing errands for customers.

Problem with this new keyboard is that like I said, the keys suck. They have no travel and they are all flat.

And that's my problem. The keyboard has all the Mac special keys on it for volume, eject, FN+F12 or F11 or functions, a couple keys for the dashboard and mission control. I don't want to use a keyboard without those function keys!

I hear this new Das keyboard has SOME of those keys but the truth is, even with the function keys on the Mac Pro keyboard, I still have to hit the Fn key + F12 or whatever to go to certain places like the dashboard which sucks. Our old G5 keyboard was just F12 and I got there. F12 and I was back. No Fn BS.

All I know is I want to replace the keyboard with something better but not if it's going to be some half ass Mac keyboard. Same with the wireless Magic Mouse. I love its touch top to move around but I need something with a "hump" in it. That thing is a pain in the ass to use.

Any thoughts?

I don't care about clickity sounds either way, my office is my office and nobody cares what sounds come out of there unless iTunes starts playing some hard core rap or metal and they can hear it out of my office. I'd just like a nice keyboard, with decent travel on the keys that can make typing out a resume or brochure or contract not be a chore. And I want my damn function keys!

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
F-keys

If you buy a Das Keyboard or Mathias Tactile Pro I’m sure you will be happy, bearing in mind that these mechanical-switch keyboards are both expensive and LOUD (which you already seem to know about). Only problem with DasKeyboard is that I’m slightly pissed off with them at the moment because they originally used silkscreened letters on their keys, which eventually started to wear off, and they don't seem very interested in assuming any responsibility for this manufacturing defect. Yes, they use engraved keys now, as they should have all along, but this episode raises questions in my mind about how serious they are about standing behind their products. So I have a Mathias on order. You sound like you are in desperate need of one of those third party utility applications which allow you to assign various tasks to F-keys. After upgrading from Classic to OSX the very first utility I bought was Keyboard Maestro, which does a fine job of doing this, and I’ve never had cause to regret it. It’s fairly inexpensive and easy to figure out how to use it. Check it out, I think it will bail you out.

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
I don't care about clickity sounds either way, my office is my office and nobody cares what sounds come out of there unless iTunes starts playing some hard core rap or metal and they can hear it out of my office. I'd just like a nice keyboard, with decent travel on the keys that can make typing out a resume or brochure or contract not be a chore. And I want my damn function keys!

I've been using Matias Tactile Pro keyboard for years, and I LOVE them. The main keyboard I used before was the old Apple Pro keyboard that came with my PowerMac (pre-chicklet keyboards). The Tactile Pro has a very similar layout, including the three volume keys and eject key at the top right corner of the keyboard, which I find very handy to use. The F-keys aren't assigned to any of the media functionality that the newer keyboards use, so I can still use F11 to quickly whisk all of the windows away so I can see the Desktop.

dfs mentioned a problem with some lettering having been silk screen, instead of laser engraved. I believe very early versions of the Matias Tactile Pro had this issue (from years ago), but the newer versions of the keyboard do not have this problem. I've used first and third generation Tactile Pros and have not had any problems with any lettering rubbing off. As you might know, these are very "clicky" keyboards. Great feel, very noisy. On a phone conference, someone could hear me typing. Another person thought I had a speaker built into my keyboard. So, if you have privacy, go for it! It just may not work as well in a cubicle farm.

I highly recommend this keyboard, and Matias has some in stock (according to their website right now -- they often sell out quickly).

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Yet no one will make a proper split ergonomic keyboard that's good quality and doesn't require funky workarounds to map special keys properly. :mad:

I only want to stop buying a Microsoft 7000 Ergo desktop every 2 years, is that too much to ask?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I thought about buying the Mac version of the Das, but I ended up getting a Matias Tactile Pro 3 instead. This keyboard is LOUD, but very satisfying to type on.

My chief complaints with the Das (the reasons I decided not to buy it) are:

1. The glossy black casing screams fingerprint magnet.

2. The USB hub ports are all on the right-hand side of the board. I like being able to plug my mouse into the left-hand side like you can on an Apple keyboard (I'd be constantly bumping up against the mouse cord otherwise as a right-hander). The Matias TP3 has ports on the left, back and right. Also, the Das requires a second USB connection for the hub. The Matias does not.

But after about a week of use with the TP3, there are some drawbacks to note:

1. I tend to bottom out on the keys quite a bit because the force required to actuate its ALPS switches is quite high (about 65g). It's worth noting that the actuation force on the Das (which uses Cherry MX Blue switches) is about 10g less.

2. The board emits a slight pinging noise (presumably caused by the keys bottoming out on the metal plate) when typing quickly. I've been considering pulling the keycaps off and dampening them with rubber o-rings because of this.

3. The keycaps are somewhat loosely mounted to the switches. There is a noticeable amount of "wiggle" to the keys while resting your fingertips on them.

4. It lacks the media functions (Expose, Dashboard, transport controls, etc.) present on an Apple keyboard. Also, it does not have a function (Fn) key to map secondary commands to F1-F15. Kind of a bummer. If you ask me, I rather have an Fn key in place of the Help key (useless to me) in the center stack. Another oddity is the Option keys being single key width.

5. The Caps Lock key uses a linear (not tactile/clicky) switch, perhaps because of its built-in LED. Not a big deal to me, but perhaps it would be to certain programmers who would want to remap this key to Control.

But despite the drawbacks, I'm pretty happy with my TP3. It's a great keyboard for veteran Mac users that miss typing on a proper mechanical board and don't mind the noise.

Last edited:

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Third USB Port

2. The USB hub ports are all on the right-hand side of the board. I like being able to plug my mouse into the left-hand side like you can on an Apple keyboard (I'd be constantly bumping up against the mouse cord otherwise as a right-hander). The Matias TP3 has ports on the left, back and right. Also, the Das requires a second USB connection for the hub. The Matias does not.

4. It lacks the media functions (Expose, Dashboard, transport controls, etc.) present on an Apple keyboard. Also, it does not have a function (Fn) key to map secondary commands to F1-F15. Kind of a bummer. If you ask me, I rather have an Fn key in place of the Help key (useless to me) in the center stack. Another oddity is the Option keys being single key width.

Thanks for mentioning about the third USB port on the back of the keyboard. I never even noticed that. I guess I was used to the original Tactile Pro keyboard which had two USB ports.

One advantage I find with the Tactile Pro is that I can press F11 to make all of the windows fly off the screen, instead of triggering some other media function. The primary functions I use tend to be the volume keys, which are conveniently placed on the right side of the keyboard, near the mouse. This, of course, it just my preference.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The cable is much too long for use with an iMac - 2M or like 5 feet?!

Yes, it's 2m long (approx. 6.6 ft). But that doesn't mean that you can't coil it up a bit when using it with an iMac. If you ask me, I much rather have a cable that's too long than too short.

One advantage I find with the Tactile Pro is that I can press F11 to make all of the windows fly off the screen, instead of triggering some other media function. The primary functions I use tend to be the volume keys, which are conveniently placed on the right side of the keyboard, near the mouse. This, of course, it just my preference.

Yes, I suppose you could do that, but in many professional applications that have familiar shortcuts mapped to the F1-F13 keys, it would be a bit counterproductive. I have already emailed Matias a suggestion to replace the Help key with an Fn key on a future revision of the board, allowing for secondary functions to be mapped to F1-F13. I think that to many of us, it would be far more useful than having a dedicated Help key. I for one, never use it.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Yes, it's 2m long (approx. 6.6 ft). But that doesn't mean that you can't coil it up a bit when using it with an iMac. If you ask me, I much rather have a cable that's too long than too short.

But wont' a shorter cable + USB extension cable be better?

Or... interchangable cables! (after all it is 130+USD).

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
But wont' a shorter cable + USB extension cable be better?

Or... interchangable cables! (after all it is 130+USD).

I wouldn't disagree with shorter cable + extension, actually.

Modular cables are actually done on some mechanical keyboards (Filco, Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2, Rosewill and some others) - but some are prone to problems with the modular connection going bad.

What makes mechanical keyboards so expensive are the key switches. They cost 3-4x as much to manufacture, versus a rubber dome switch. Despite its minor shortcomings I mentioned earlier, the TP3 is a lot of keyboard for the money.

OWC has the TP3 for $117.99 right now, so that's $32.00 off Matias' list price. It also seems that only Matias (direct) and OWC currently have them in stock. They sell out pretty quickly, from what I understand.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My only gripe is the "Plastic" look....I'd be interested to know what actually feels like. I've been looking or a better keyboard for a while, have tried the wired USB Apple variety, and am currently using an Apple Bluetooth model.

The keyboard in the image looks "Raised" which would help me a lot, I use my MBP and MBA on riser stands and get far better typing speeds with an angled keyboard. Wonder if arn would chip in with a review...?:D

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My only gripe is the "Plastic" look....I'd be interested to know what actually feels like. I've been looking or a better keyboard for a while, have tried the wired USB Apple variety, and am currently using an Apple Bluetooth model.

The keyboard in the image looks "Raised" which would help me a lot, I use my MBP and MBA on riser stands and get far better typing speeds with an angled keyboard. Wonder if arn would chip in with a review...?:D

I sort of had that concern before I bought my TP3. Yes, it's a "plasticky" look, but I can tell you that the keyboard neither looks nor feels cheap. It weighs about 3 pounds and has very little body flex. Fit and finish is very decent - but perhaps not stellar.

Another Mac-centric mechanical keyboard (aside from the TP3 and the Das) that seems to be pretty highly regarded is the DSI Modular Mac, but this one is tenkeyless (no numpad). It's available with Cherry MX Blue (tactile/clicky) or Brown (tactile/non-clicky) switches. I almost considered getting one, but decided I really wanted a numpad after all.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I never understood the allure of the clicky keyboards - I just assumed it was for people who wanted to sound busier than they actually were.

It depends what you're used to. If you're used to that kind of keyboard, the touch of the newer keyboards doesn't feel quite right.

Delgadoren

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Now, the Apple Keyboard II Scope of law, has the best keyboard Apple ever produced, and probably the best in the history of the personal computer. Only those who can say the property, as they were, precise touch, very good feedback and the most important error Travel / pressure conditions.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i got the das and hated it. i wanted to love it, but it didn't feel right; it was hard to tell by both feel and sound when a key was properly pressed, making typing into an unsatisfying and confusing experience. i've replaced it with a majestouch 2 tenkeyless brown (came today), and it's been wonderful so far. yay!

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
i got the das and hated it. i wanted to love it, but it didn't feel right; it was hard to tell by both feel and sound when a key was properly pressed, making typing into an unsatisfying and confusing experience. i've replaced it with a majestouch 2 tenkeyless brown (came today), and it's been wonderful so far. yay!

I've never tried a Das fitted with MX Blues, but my friend has the PC version of the Das Silent (MX Brown) with blank keys. I really like how his keyboard feels. I would bought a Das in a heartbeat if the Mac version's USB ports were rearranged to where they weren't all on the right-hand side and it was styled more like a Mac keyboard (nitpicky, I know).

You may just not like MX Blue switches in general. They're not for everyone.

Enjoy your Majestouch! Those are great boards, too. I believe that both Filco and Das use them same manufacturer in Taiwan (Costar). BTW, how did you score a Filco in the States? They're kind of hard to come by here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.