Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
To me, the competition isn't necessarily coming at Apple hardware wise (it is, but I don't think that's ultimately that important), but more so with software. While Windows Phone 7 hasn't gained much popularity, it has some great ideas and is aesthetically unique. ICS is widely considered either up to par, or better than iOS 5 by reviews and publications and users who have tried both OSes.

iOS 6 needs to bring it. Waiting for Apple's small incremental updates is becoming frustrating. Personally, I want to see a better keyboard, browser, and voice navigation.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Crap. If it will really have a 1080p display, I won't be able to resist replacing the Galaxy S2 I own and love.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Why is it even a question whether it'll have decent competition? Samsung's Galaxy S II put up a big fight this last year. The iPhone's lackluster 4S upgrade put's Apple in an even worse spot than before.

The Galaxy S III will rock.

Yet there were lines for days and shortages of stock for this "lackluster" upgrade.:rolleyes:

Specs dont measure the success of a device... Sales figures do.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you think all the 4s is about is siri, you really have no clue what you're talkng about.

Apple seems to think so. It's all their ads focus on...

(I agree, there is more. I notice a difference between the 4S and 4 whenever I pick the 4 up. But the average consumer sees siri commercials, and nothing more, so they expect Siri to blow their mind).

----------

I'm getting pretty tired of this and think it should become a bannable offense.

If you see someone flip-flopping like that, by all means call them out. However, generalizing and pretending like everyone does it is complete bullcrap. I can honestly say I haven't noticed a specific person who hates a feature and then turns around and says how amazing it is once Apple adds it.

How is he generalizing? "I see time and time again" does not equal "I always see". You either misread the post, or are simply reading what you want to see.

----------

Yet there were lines for days and shortages of stock for this "lackluster" upgrade.:rolleyes:

I completely agree. When apple launched the iPhone, their sales figures weren't number one either. If you look at the Galaxy S line, it is climbing year after year, much like Apple did, to get to the top. I think it's a very rare thing to see one group of devices dominating the market be taken over in a single year by another device. It takes time. Will it happen? Who knows. Sales figures suggest Samsung is doing very well indeed.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I completely agree. When apple launched the iPhone, their sales figures weren't number one either. If you look at the Galaxy S line, it is climbing year after year, much like Apple did, to get to the top. I think it's a very rare thing to see one group of devices dominating the market be taken over in a single year by another device. It takes time. Will it happen? Who knows. Sales figures suggest Samsung is doing very well indeed.

This is true, Blackberry was the dominant smartphone when the first iPhone was released... seems like a distant memory now doesnt it.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

I think it took 10 months for Samsung to sell 10 million Galaxy S2 units and it took a quarter for Apple to sell 43 million iPhone 4s models.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I think it took 10 months for Samsung to sell 10 million Galaxy S2 units and it took a quarter for Apple to sell 43 million iPhone 4s models.

They have sold over 20 million of them. And there are many other Android devices to choose from. If the GS2 was the only one, they would have sold a lot more of them since 850,000 android devices are activated everyday.(up from 500,000 some months ago)

If you take that number times 300 days (roughly 10 months), you get 255 million sold in those 10 months.

Even if you use the 500,000 pr day that is 150 million devices , but it was reported recently that it is now 850,000 a day.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They have sold over 20 million of them. And there are many other Android devices to choose from. If the GS2 was the only one, they would have sold a lot more of them since 850,000 android devices are activated everyday.(up from 500,000 some months ago)

If you take that number times 300 days (roughly 10 months), you get 255 million sold in those 10 months.

Even if you use the 500,000 pr day that is 150 million devices , but it was reported recently that it is now 850,000 a day.

The bottom line is, if you want iOS, you have a choice of three models. If you want Android you have... Christ I don't even want to count. Comparing the 4S to a single model of Android isn;t really a fair comparison. That said, the fact that it is even comparable speaks a great deal about Samsung's device IMO. What Samsung needs to do now is get worldwide releases closer together. There are some carriers that are JUST NOW getting the SGS2. That is certainly hurting their numbers some.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
I know it isnt all just about Siri but that is the biggest thing talked about. I understand it got a better antenna and it is faster with a new processor but Siri was the hype. Maps still isnt as good, notifications was a bit of a disapointment (though they DID get them) as was some other things that didnt happen so no, im not clueless, i just chose not to remind everybody that wasnt real happy with the upgrade.

And im with ya on the 'use what you like" statement. I just see time and time again in here how many say " i dont need notifications" and "a 3.5" screen is perfect", " i dont need MMS or copy and paste" and yet when they got it......it was the best thing to happen since sliced bread....LOL

If the iPhone gets a 4.5" screen this place will go nuts saying Steve must have left them his instructions and he is genius...even though they will just be copying the others guys trying to keep up.

Thats not a shot, its just the truth of how it works in here.

And when Apple comes out with a digitizer pen for the iPad, because many people have a need for one in their occupations, Apple will declare it "magical" and again show us how they came out with a new idea.
It's all marketing.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'd rather the Sony Xperia S or ION since the NXT UI in its refinement resembles the quality I'm used to in ios.

ION has tribals LTE/HSPA+, S has HSPA+. Both have quality screens imbedded batteries and rapid charging.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.

Good sales doesn't necessarily make a product better. "Better" is also relative to the user, so I don't want to make a blanket statement here and say an Android phone is better for everyone.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
And when Apple comes out with a digitizer pen for the iPad, because many people have a need for one in their occupations, Apple will declare it "magical" and again show us how they came out with a new idea.
It's all marketing.

And all the iSheeps here will blaaaah that any tablet without a pen is useless and going to die.

I am seriously considering selling my ipad for the galaxy note 10.1 just for the pen.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Oh wow, another iPhone killer. Just like the DROID, DROID 2, DROID BIONIC, and DROID RAZR MAXX. Or any of the other lesser Android phones. Android phones are going to continue to fly off shelves. iPhones are going to continue to fly off shelves. End of story.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
The bottom line is, if you want iOS, you have a choice of three models. If you want Android you have... Christ I don't even want to count. Comparing the 4S to a single model of Android isn;t really a fair comparison. That said, the fact that it is even comparable speaks a great deal about Samsung's device IMO. What Samsung needs to do now is get worldwide releases closer together. There are some carriers that are JUST NOW getting the SGS2. That is certainly hurting their numbers some.

Actually, the only choice you have is the manufacturer's label on the back. If you took the label off, nobody would be able to tell the difference as they all have about the same exact specifications to them. Which is what Android users live on, specs.

----------

And all the iSheeps here will blaaaah that any tablet without a pen is useless and going to die.

I am seriously considering selling my ipad for the galaxy note 10.1 just for the pen.

Only people like you think like this.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually, the only choice you have is the manufacturer's label on the back. If you took the label off, nobody would be able to tell the difference as they all have about the same exact specifications to them. Which is what Android users live on, specs.

----------

Only people like you think like this.

If only this were true though. There are threads upon threads of what everyone want the specs to be in the iPhone 5 on this forum from Apple users. 1 gig of ram, quadcore, NFC etc etc. IPhone users are about specs too.

Not all Android phones have the same specs either. Look at the Nexus, S2 and Razr all popular and they have different processors, different ports like HDMI out, NFC in the Nexus. Etc etc if specs aren't important to you why do you care?

If YOU can't tell the difference between Android phones I wouldn't group everyone in with you. Its insulting for someone to call ME ignorant even though the differences are obvious to me.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

Erm... one can get a stylus for the iPad. Amazon UK lists 22 different ones, with most being under £10.

As for the iSheep crack, well...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
given the start of this thread was a bit troll-ish, I dont know why people have to feel the need to defend their device of choice like "hey my phone is awesome and you made the wrong choice!"

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
If only this were true though. There are threads upon threads of what everyone want the specs to be in the iPhone 5 on this forum from Apple users. 1 gig of ram, quadcore, NFC etc etc. IPhone users are about specs too.

Not all Android phones have the same specs either. Look at the Nexus, S2 and Razr all popular and they have different processors, different ports like HDMI out, NFC in the Nexus. Etc etc if specs aren't important to you why do you care?

If YOU can't tell the difference between Android phones I wouldn't group everyone in with you. Its insulting for someone to call ME ignorant even though the differences are obvious to me.

So YOU can tell the difference between quad core processors running at different speeds? I'm impressed.

MojoDojo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
1080p doesnt matter the human eye cant notice the difference in quality itll be useless to put that stress on a cellphones processor

You mean like how the 326dpi on the iPhone 4/4S is more than the human eye can process?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.