Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbookpro-165.png

Apple just released an update for the MacBook Pro 15-inch, late 2008 model. It requires Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8, or OS X Lion 10.7.3.
About MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.8

This update is recommended for MacBook Pro (15-inch, late 2008) models. The update resolves a graphics issue that may cause the internal display to flicker.
Weighing in at 1.79MB, the update can be downloaded from Apple's software update page.

Article Link: Apple Releases MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 2.8

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Oh good. I've noticed my screen flicker sometimes but just thought it was me. Hopefully this will fix that.

By flicker I mean it sort of goes black for a split second.

claygreenberg

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Finally!

This has been a known issue with hundreds upon hundreds of posts on Apple's support forums since the computer came out in 2008. I'm impressed it only took 3.5 years to release a fix. Let's hope it actually fixes it and doesn't create any new problems.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
So far so good! The flicker was annoying enough that I just set my computer to "higher performance" (the 9600M GT chip) and left it there forever. Not a single flicker since the update.

My workaround didn't bother me because most of what I do benefits from the extra graphics horsepower to some extent or another, but on those rare occasions that I can't be plugged in and just wanted to surf for the internet or write or whatever (like on an airplane), the loss of battery life and extra heat has been a pain in the… lap.

serferthom

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
if you notice ur screen flickered you should take it to the apple store and have them run a test to check ur logic board. It will require for you to check the computer in because that test takes about 1h!

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
BTW, on my 2011 MBP, after the EFI for it was installed successfully, it kept updating it (2 more times). I don't know if it'll do it again. Anyone??

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I don't think my 2008 MPB has had any flickering issues, surprisingly. Download it just in case?

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
My Late 2008 MacBook Pro started exhibiting this problem a few months ago. I took it to the Apple Store and they installed a new logic board.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
I have this problem too occasionally. Didn't think there's ever be an update to fix it, though.

What is with all these firmware updates coming out lately? We barely ever used to see firmware updates for devices past their warranty expiry, now there seems to be an update for every model made since '08! Perhaps Tim is authorising them whereas Steve wouldn't. :eek:

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
I sold my late '08 MBP a couple of years ago because after a logic board replacement, I was convinced the Nvidia GPU was flawed and going to mess the bed. Apple seemed to imply I was making it up and was not eager to do a replacement again.

I guess after three years of complaints, they decided to fix it :/

Last edited:

ATMB

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
I can't believe this…
They resolved my issue after just 3.5 years, and after I had to change twice my logic board…. and it was just a firmware issue!

This time apple deserves both my esteem and a great, great shame.

Esteem because you update the firmware for a 3.5 years old product, shame because it took them all this time.

… I hope this resolves the stupid flickr, at least.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

How cool is that that they push out an update for a 4 year old machine. I'm sure people must be happy about this!

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
This latest firmware update

I downloaded that update last night and instead of a restart I just shut it down when I was through with my 13" 2011 entry-level MBP. When I started it today it was acting very weird at startup. I pushed the power button as I normally do to start it up and it didn't do anything at all for a little while. I thought I had maybe done something wrong. I thought that maybe I hadn't hit the power-button like I thought I had or maybe I did not press it in far enough and so I pressed it again and it started up like it had been asleep and the 2nd press woke it up. But it was the gray startup screen. The chime sounded, once, twice, three times and finally four times before it actually came on. Once it finally came on it acted normally. Was this strange behavior caused by the firmware update? And is that normal behavior? Thank you, in advance for any feedback or replies.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
California
WOW finally! My MBP on the 9400M GPU flickered every minute or so. People would notice it flicker too. I'm glad they pushed out an update for this!

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I have a late 2008 MBPro and when using the 9400M graphics it flickers. Actually it's way more than a flicker, it's like the screen blanks out for a moment only to come back on immediately. Sometime it's once in a while, sometimes like a madman and won't stop, but it's totally random to me.

I've had clients ask me about it, and got tired of making excuses for Apple, so now I just tell them Apple quality is not what it used to be.

I really hope this helps.

Last edited:

Howard.B2

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
I thought it was a hardware issue.

I am very glad that Apple came out with a firmware fix for this.

Now I can run my MBP cooler and have a better battery life without the damn blink, blink , blink!

Hallelujah :D

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Was this strange behavior caused by the firmware update? And is that normal behavior? Thank you, in advance for any feedback or replies.

The "strange behaviour" was caused by you ignoring the firmware update instructions. They specifically state you must not turn off your computer during the update. You're lucky you didn't brick your machine. Normally the machine makes a low tone when the update has started, then a grey screen appears with an Apple and a progress bar. Sometimes the computer restarts after, sometimes it continues straight into startup.

Freeks

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
And how many years it took that this got fixed?
I have two 2008 MPB's and both have same issue. Let's see will this fix 'em.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
About time, Apple! Took you long enough to fix it, eh? I thought I was going crazy thinking Apple will never deliver the software esp. this flicker issue :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.