Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Alright so somehow my account has been hacked. I received an email saying a purchase of 掌上三国. I have automatic downloads and sure enough there was some game in a different language downloaded to my phone. I immediately changed my password to an even stronger password. Unfortunately the thief was able to to buy two in app purchases of $9.99 and $4.99. This took away from a gift card I had redeemed.

How do I contact Apple to tell them my account has been compromised and money stolen from my account? Thanks.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Did you happen to have credit on your account? Hackers will go after accounts with a good amount of credit. Happened to me after I applied a $100 gift card.

shinerburke

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
I had the same thing happen two weeks ago. Jackass that did it purchased 2 $20 iTunes cards.

I contacted Apple Support and they disabled my account. I then contacted PayPal and they initiated an investigation. I changed my password, it was already 13 characters with mixed case and special characters, and asked Apple Support to enable my account.

4 days later PayPal finished up the investigation and put $40 back in my account.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
After having to reset my password 4-5 times and back and forth emails I finally got back my account, had it unlocked, and had the stolen amount reapplied to my account.

Still shocked as to how someone in China could guess my password but all is good for now...

Chris230291

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
Well I'd assume they dont just guess haha. They probably bought the details online from someone who had hacked a database, or just done it themselves.

Theres a lot of dodgy stuff, that thankfully not many people know how to do.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
My account was just hacked the other day and i went through the reset password and got my money back.

My concern is that my ipad backs up to icloud. Could the person who had my account information access my backups?

I'm on the phone with apple now and no one there seems to know the answer nor are they able to see via IP where my account has been accessed.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
My account was just hacked the other day and i went through the reset password and got my money back.

My concern is that my ipad backs up to icloud. Could the person who had my account information access my backups?

I'm on the phone with apple now and no one there seems to know the answer nor are they able to see via IP where my account has been accessed.

I went through this same scared phase. Your apple account really contains a ton of sensitive info. I'd value it as my most sensitive asset.

Just set an extremely strong password. Mines really beefy now. I though about staggering my information across multiple iCloud accounts so that one cracked password wouldn't give everything away but I just decided to see how a super strong password works.

mrjones19

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
hello.
Go to Apple - Support - iTunes - Contact Us and go through as you think you should, then just write in what happened along with your iTunes email and you will receive a full refund.

Michael.ross217

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
Before you go after a small refund, make sure nothing was changed on your account. I got my refund of $5.34 and lost my account because the security questions were changed. Now since I can't answer my security questions, they say I can never retrieve my account. Now all updates to my I phone are unavailable and if I should lose my purchases for any reason, there is no way to retrieve it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.