Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's stock has hit yet another psychological milestone today, pressing through to reach $500 billion in market capitalization. Apple passed the milestone in after-hours trading yesterday, but has just now passed it in regular trading as the trading day opens.

aapl_500b_market_cap.jpg

At the end of January, we noted that Apple had seen a remarkable 50-point gain during the first month of 2012 that saw the company's stock price increase by nearly 13%.

Amazingly enough, Apple's stock growth has only accelerated in February as anticipation for the iPad 3 and optimism over the company's continued strong financial performance has attracted investors. As Apple hits the $500 billion market cap milestone and is currently sitting at over $507 billion, it is now up over 34% in the first two months of 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Market Capitalization Hits $500 Billion, Stock Up 34% in 2012

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I f'ed up by selling around $445 after the earnings report hoping to cash in a little and buy back in after a correction. Well that never happened and I got back in at $500... Missed out on a couple G's but I guess it's better than nothing or a loss.:rolleyes::apple:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Congratulations. There is still a way to go before Apple becomes the most valuable company of all time, but that is certainly possible (I think Microsoft was worth over $600 billion at one time).

Hopefully the iPad 3 will be the next big step toward that milestone.

----------

I f'ed up by selling around $445 after the earnings report hoping to cash in a little and buy back in after a correction. Well that never happened and I got back in at $500... Missed out on a couple G's but I guess it's better than nothing or a loss.:rolleyes::apple:

I had an option exercise earlier in the month when it was at $507. I had only enough to keep half the shares (I had to sell the other 50 shares to cover the margin). That said, I won't complain about a few hundred dollars given how well the stock has done for me in the past 6 months.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
If I had invested in 2005 I would be sitting on close to 300k in stock right now. Excuse me while I go cry into my coffee.

om1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
I wish I had spent money on APPL stock instead of buy their products. I'd be richer today. :apple:

Yeah, but if everybody would do that we'd end up with no Apple goodies and a stock value of 0.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Blah blah blah Apple's a flop now that someone new is in charge Blah blah blah Android has more activations so they must make more money Blah Blah Blah Foxconn news is tanking the company Blah Blah Blah the iPhone4S won't sell, it's only a minor upgrade blah blah blah Samsung is the world's best company ever in the history of man blah blah blah it's only for hipsters and creative people blah blah blah they don't even make products with a stylus blah blah blah ..... oh...... 500 billion market cap?..... um..... carry on then. :rolleyes:

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Wow! For everyone who bought stocks when Apple was $150 or so and didn't sell them yet would be very, very happy!

Baja2k

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
Texas
Wow! For everyone who bought stocks when Apple was $150 or so and didn't sell them yet would be very, very happy!

I'm happy...Just wish I bought more. Split adjusted price for me was $31.51 Back in 2004.
Trying to decide when to let some go now. Every milestone makes me feel like I should sell a little and diversify but Apple is the only company I enjoy following close enough to understand the fundamentals.

nwmac

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
I got in at 180...but I only bought 10 shares!! Oh well, it's been a fun ride and I should not complain one bit. Go AAPL!

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
Interesting that a company who simply produces 1 model of tablets, 1 model of phones, a few models of mp3 players, and a few models of overpriced computers has a market cap this high.

Apple will need to continue innovating and selling more than just 10 SKUs of products to hold this kind of value. I personally think the stock is extremely inflated. Sooner or later Apple will need to introduce some new products to hold this high value...the iPod line has been oversaturated for years...that's 25% of their product line...the iPhone and iPad can't carry Apple forever...and my guess is the iPhone has 2-3 years left before everything on the cell market is very similar to the iPhone (Android). If nothing rivals the iPad over the next few years, ok, cool....but then Apple is a company that banks its business on 1 product.

Don't get me wrong...I like Apple...they are obviously on top of the world right now....but it could come right back down to reality ($90/share) in 1-3 years in my opinion as iPhone and iPad competition increases and if Apple doesn't expand its overall Apple product lineup. I am interested in seeing what Apple has in store for tv...if they do it right, that could make Apple some big cash for 10-15 years all by itself.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations. There is still a way to go before Apple becomes the most valuable company of all time, but that is certainly possible (I think Microsoft was worth over $600 billion at one time).

MSFT hit its peak in Dec 2007 at 350 Billion

Last edited by a moderator:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Interesting that a company who simply produces 1 model of tablets, 1 model of phones, a few models of mp3 players, and a few models of overpriced computers has a market cap this high.

Apple will need to continue innovating and selling more than just 10 SKUs of products to hold this kind of value. I personally think the stock is extremely inflated. Sooner or later Apple will need to introduce some new products to hold this high value...the iPod line has been oversaturated for years...that's 25% of their product line...the iPhone and iPad can't carry Apple forever...and my guess is the iPhone has 2-3 years left before everything on the cell market is very similar to the iPhone (Android). If nothing rivals the iPad over the next few years, ok, cool....but then Apple is a company that banks its business on 1 product.

Don't get me wrong...I like Apple...they are obviously on top of the world right now....but it could come right back down to reality ($90/share) in 1-3 years in my opinion as iPhone and iPad competition increases and if Apple doesn't expand its overall Apple product lineup. I am interested in seeing what Apple has in store for tv...if they do it right, that could make Apple some big cash for 10-15 years all by itself.

Yes, businesses must continue to innovate to make more sales.

Baja2k

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
Texas
I am interested in seeing what Apple has in store for tv...if they do it right, that could make Apple some big cash for 10-15 years all by itself.

I agree with you here. If they do the TV thing right then I don't want to miss the opportunity. If they miss on the TV there will be some regret in not selling sooner.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...but it could come right back down to reality ($90/share) in 1-3 years...

Don't quit your job to become a day trader.

It's arguable about how long Apple can keep up its amazing increases in sales and profits, but $90/share is an insane number baring something like a world war.

Apple's P/E at today's share price is ~15.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I think Apple will hit $600/share within the next two months. Once iPad 3 starts hitting the shelves and is another record success, the stock will easily hit $600/share and beyond. In the last 30 days the stock has risen about $100/share.

I have bought the stock when it was $4x, $1xx, $2xx, $3xx, $4xx. I look at Apple as a long term investment.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.