Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
For example, I'll be on Instagram, or in settings, and it'll push me back to springboard page? Resprings typically help, but the problem arrises again. I tried to search for answers for "force close" and "random close" but no answers came up for this specific question I have. I dont know if it's a jailbreak tweak, however I uninstalled the most recent of apps I've downloaded, as well as reset settings on my phone, but seems like the problem comes back up again.

I dont know is I could erase all contact and start over, or if that will even do anything.

What shall I do at this point? Please be specific..:confused:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
For example, I'll be on Instagram, or in settings, and it'll push me back to springboard page? Resprings typically help, but the problem arrises again. I tried to search for answers for "force close" and "random close" but no answers came up for this specific question I have. I dont know if it's a jailbreak tweak, however I uninstalled the most recent of apps I've downloaded, as well as reset settings on my phone, but seems like the problem comes back up again.

I dont know is I could erase all contact and start over, or if that will even do anything.

What shall I do at this point? Please be specific..:confused:

If you throw the Erase all settings and Content toggle, you will have to restore.
I recommend a clean restore while Apple still signs 5.0.1, choose set up as new.
Jailbreak and test the phone.
Then, do not restore to backup, do not install any cracked apps as they cause these types of issues.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
If you throw the Erase all settings and Content toggle, you will have to restore.
I recommend a clean restore while Apple still signs 5.0.1, choose set up as new.
Jailbreak and test the phone.
Then, do not restore to backup, do not install any cracked apps as they cause these types of issues.

cracked apps? Like via Installous? I havent downloaded anything from there, and I dont know of any other places. A lot of the apps from Cydia I've paid for, minus the free ones.

But when you say clean restore, is there a way to do this in just button presses on my phone? Or will I have to plug my phone up?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
cracked apps? Like via Installous? I havent downloaded anything from there, and I dont know of any other places. A lot of the apps from Cydia I've paid for, minus the free ones.

But when you say clean restore, is there a way to do this in just button presses on my phone? Or will I have to plug my phone up?

You use iTunes

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
about how long of a process would that be to clean restore?

is there anyway to back up my cydia apps?

The actual restore takes 10 minutes or so
Putting all your personalizations back without restoring to backup takes some time.

There are apps to re-install your Cydia hacks, but since your phone has issues, I really recommend doing them one at a time to root out the offending problems.

That is the whole purpose of doing a clean restore, restoring to backup or reinstalling in mass all your hacks can bring the same problem right back to the phone

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
The actual restore takes 10 minutes or so
Putting all your personalizations back without restoring to backup takes some time.

There are apps to re-install your Cydia hacks, but since your phone has issues, I really recommend doing them one at a time to root out the offending problems.

That is the whole purpose of doing a clean restore, restoring to backup or reinstalling in mass all your hacks can bring the same problem right back to the phone

Now that I understand. I will go ahead and do just that. Thanks a lot for your help. If I come across anything ill PM you

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
What you also can do without restoring is install SBsettings

In SBSettings More/System Wide Options/Mobile Substrate Addons

Deactivate your hacks 1 by 1 and see where your problem is, it saves you the trouble from restoring and installing all hacks manually which takes a lot of time.

Regular Apps rarerly cause a crash, only if they are outdated and not compatible with the current firmware version.

Crashes almost always are caused by incompatible hacks.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
What you also can do without restoring is install SBsettings

In SBSettings More/System Wide Options/Mobile Substrate Addons

Deactivate your hacks 1 by 1 and see where your problem is, it saves you the trouble from restoring and installing all hacks manually which takes a lot of time.

Regular Apps rarerly cause a crash, only if they are outdated and not compatible with the current firmware version.

Crashes almost always are caused by incompatible hacks.

Yeah I was trying to figure out another way to go about doing this.. at first I was hinking maybe its springtomize because my phone has this random closing apps, and now it has this strange random respring.. ai rmember seeing a thread where someone said theres would do the same thing. should I reset my springtomize settings as well?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Springtomize is known to cause all kinds of problems in the past, would satrt with that 1, try the sbsettings solution, a lot less hazzle than restoring.

cbmstocks

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2012
i had the same problem, and it turned out to be winterboard. even after deleting and reinstalling winterboard it still gave me some issues. if you have winterboard i would recommend deleting it and seeing if that solves yourproblem

i've never had an issue with springtomize on its own after deleting winterboard btw

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
i had the same problem, and it turned out to be winterboard. even after deleting and reinstalling winterboard it still gave me some issues. if you have winterboard i would recommend deleting it and seeing if that solves yourproblem

i've never had an issue with springtomize on its own after deleting winterboard btw

I may have to delete winterboard too, but I reset springtomize and so far things have run smooth. If it locks up or resprings, I'll know the underlying issue is more than likely winterboard.

I did the sbsettings and I like that idea actually I'm going to keep you guys posted

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Apps on my 4S crashed occasionally before the jailbreak and crashed occasionally after the jailbreak. It seems to happen more frequently after the jailbreak but it might just seem that way because I use it more now and pay more attention to its performance.

I've had Mail, Safari, Google Voice and Grocery IQ all crash within the last 2 weeks after a re-jailbreak but it happens so infrequently I don't think I really have the time to go through and disable/uninstall 1 tweak at a time, wait a few days for a crash, disable/uninstall another tweak, repeat, etc.

Mail crashed twice on 2/28 with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) in com.apple.main-thread

Safari has crashed with EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) in com.apple.networking.connection and EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) in com.apple.main-thread

Grocery IQ crashed once on 2/26 with EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) in com.apple.libsystem_network

BiteSMS beta 6.2.x has crashed a few times with EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) in com.apple.networking.connection

Cydia has crashed with "has active assertions beyond permitted time"

Waze GPS has crashed with EXC_CRASH (SIGBUS) in com.apple.main-thread

As stated earlier, a few of these also happened before the jailbreak so I am willing to live with it. Not much else I can do about it, anyway.

tateu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2012
Although, just today, I can pretty (un)reliably get Aim Free to crash. I've gotten it to happen 12 times in the past few minutes with EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS in com.apple.networking.connection.

All I have to do is have Aim Free running in the background (I can be on the home screen or have any other app running in the foreground) and using Notification Banners. When I receive a new Aim Message and click on the banner to switch over to Aim Free, the Aim Free window switches on and then immediately crashes. This happens every time.

And I think I just found the problem...atleast for the AIM Free crash (and possibly all of my other crashes that happen in com.apple.networking.connection)...It was one of the things I suspected: sbadblocktoggle and Firewall IP, both of which keep some networking connections from being successfully made between the app and remote servers. With them enabled I can crash Aim Free every time. With them disabled I have not crashed it once, yet, in 10 tries...

It does not happen on my jailbroken iPad 1, where I do not have sbadblocktoggle or Firewall IP installed.

Update:
And it looks like it might just be mostly FireWall IP. I tried Aim Free with sbadblocktoggle enabled but FireWall IP disabled and it has not crashed yet. And with sbadblocktoggle disabled but FireWall IP enabled it will sometimes crash.

Update 2:
And if I leave FireWall IP enabled but just disable it for AIM Free (even though it had already been set to allow all connections) then Aim Free does not crash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.