Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The sometimes-reliable DigiTimes reports that Apple is planning to launch a new 8 GB iPad 2 model next week alongside the iPad 3, presumably seeking to reduce costs to make the device as affordable as possible while also differentiating the offering from the iPad 3. The strategy is similar to one used by Apple for the last several generations of the iPhone, where the company has discontinued the standard 16 GB and 32 GB models of the device being updated and added an 8 GB model to serve as a low-end option for consumers.

white_ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Today's report also claims, however, that Apple will be introducing 16 GB and 32 GB models of the iPad 3, making no mention of a 64 GB version or even a potential 128 GB version that some users have been hoping for. Both the original iPad and the iPad 2 top out at 64 GB, and even though Apple is trying to encourage adoption of its iCloud service to allow users to freely download content on-demand, a reduction in maximum capacity would be a very odd decision for Apple. With the iPad 3 expected to carry a 2048 x 1536 "Retina" display with four times the pixels of the iPad 2, the device would be capable of handling higher-resolution video and app content, which would obviously require larger file sizes.
As Apple has scheduled an event on March 7, sources from its upstream supply chain pointed out that the company is expected to launch two iPad 3 models - a 16GB version and 32GB version.

In addition to iPad 3, Apple is also expected to unveil an 8GB iPad 2, allowing the tablet PC series to cover different segments and to defend against Windows 8-based tablet PCs, the sources noted.
A shift to only two capacities for the iPad 3 would also seem to be at odds with part numbers said to be for the new device. Those part numbers show three "Good/Better/Best" versions of each new model, presumably corresponding to three different capacities.

Regardless of the accuracy of the report's iPad 3 claims, a move to an 8 GB iPad 2 is an interesting option that so far has not been the topic of much rumor or speculation. Most discussion has centered around the possibility of Apple keeping the 16 GB iPad 2 available at a price point of $399 or even lower, but a move to 8 GB would give Apple even more room to shift lower on pricing.

Article Link: 8 GB iPad 2 Coming Alongside 16 GB and 32 GB iPad 3 Next Week?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wait, no 64GB? Wow, if that is true! Well, if its only 16 and 32, the prices better not go up! That would be BS!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Why even bother with an 8GB iPad ?
That's literally 6.5GB of usable space.

I'm sure the cost differences for Apple to include 8GB of memory and 16GB of memory are negligible. Honestly they shouldn't even bother with an 8GB iPad IMO. The fact that the iPad 2 is already a year old will make people want to spring for the iPad 3, which is what Apple is trying to do.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Please no... 8gb is such a pointless size for any ipod/iphone, let alone the ipad that typically has larger apps... hardly any room to install anything.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow, what a joke. 8GB iPad is ridiculous, 16GB is bad enough. I really hope this is just some bogus time waster of an article. My 64GB iPad 2 is already pushing its limit on storage. I really wanted a 128GB.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

8GB for an iPad is virtually useless.

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Okay I call BS on this entire story. 8GB on an iPad does not make sense due to the operating system already taking almost two gigs. Lastly Apple makes the most margin on the iPads with the largest capacity so for there not to be a 64GB option is NOT an option.

I am going to venture to guess we will see a 32GB, 64GB and 128GB iPad 3 at $499, $599 and $699 respectively. No 16GB iPad 3.

I pad 2 will stay at 16 GB and 32 GB only and be priced at $379 and $459 respectively.

Just my two cents.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
iCloud is not a viable replacement for local storage, and it won't be until data caps are gone, and fast reliable internet is available everywhere. Also, iCloud needs a Dropbox style implementation where we can put in whatever files we want.

codyc815

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Typical "it doesn't fit my needs, so it's stupid" mentality. There are tons of people out there that use it for internet browsing, netflix, and nothing else. I'm not one of those people, I need space, and lots of it, but I'm not going to bash a product because it's simply not what I need.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Sorry. I don't buy it.

64 GB is not going anywhere. I highly doubt a 8 GB iPad 2, though I won't dismiss the possibility.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Not having a 64gb or 128gb version would be a mistake. If you have downloaded a copy of Men's Health, it is 700MB. One year worth of issues wouldn't fit on an 8gb iPad let alone 16gb with all the other apps people use.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
If you look beyond your own needs you're probably find out that there are plenty of people that would do fine with an iPad2 with 8GB of storage.

Schools running Edutaintment applications could easily fit them on an iPad. Basic users that just want to do a few games, surf the internet and basic stuff would be well suited.

Not everyone is watching movies and stuffing heaps of photos and music onto their iPad.

Plus it allows for Apple to start selling more Cloud services

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Perhaps Apple is adding a cache somewhere to make the reliance on RAM less necessary, while speeding up the performance as well. Adding that to storing more in the iCloud and RAM becomes less important to have on-board. Finally, less RAM, better battery life.

It is not your father's PC, gotta think different.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
8gb?

that is what happens if there is no competition.

I think the report is inaccurate, with $100 Billion cash and 8GB would be a bad move.

8GB iPhone is different case all together.

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
The options:
1. This is an education model intended for textbooks
2. This is to enter a new price point
3. Apple needs to use the high flash profits to offset the cost of the retina display
4. Digi Times is wrong

My money is on #4

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Typical "it doesn't fit my needs, so it's stupid" mentality. There are tons of people out there that use it for internet browsing, netflix, and nothing else. I'm not one of those people, I need space, and lots of it, but I'm not going to bash a product because it's simply not what I need.

Exactly! Macrumors users aren't the norm. I barely use up any space on mine. I use it for email, web browsing, stream music etc. there are far more people that probably do email only and that's it.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Isn't flash memory cheap enough now that there's really no reason to have an 8GB iPad? What's the difference between 8GB and 16GB in cost, under $50 bucks? Look how cheap 16GB USB flash drives are now!

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Please no... 8gb is such a pointless size for any ipod/iphone, let alone the ipad that typically has larger apps... hardly any room to install anything.

I absoloutely agree!!!

The idea of not getting a upgraded 128GB may be feasible but dumping the 64GB due to iCloud I find hard to believe since the iPhone 4S was upgraded to 64GB after iCloud was released. So to me the 64GB has to be available.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Isn't flash memory cheap enough now that there's really no reason to have an 8GB iPad? What's the difference between 8GB and 16GB in cost, under $50 bucks? Look how cheap 16GB USB flash drives are now!

Not the same speed of Flash. Typical retail markup is 300-500% which means every $10 saved or increased in BoM costs can influence final pricing by $30 to $50.

Apple can shave a significant amount by going with a cheaper A5 processor (A5X???) and Shaving NAND Storage to get the iPad 2 pricing down to $399 which enables more people to buy in.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
We could also be looking at a 16GB iPad 2, with the 3 only coming in 32 and 64GB flavors.

With the seemingly assured introduction of 1080p video downloads, dramatically larger apps (a necessary result of higher resolution graphics) etc. An iPad 3 with only 16GB's of storage may be too limited on space to take advantage of these new features. Even for mostly streamed content, the device still needs a relatively large cache to store video for seamless playback.

This could also give credibility to the rumors we've heard about a more expensive iPad 3. The iPad itself wouldn't really be more expensive in comparison to the similarly equipped previous model, but the price of the base model could be higher as it is now better equipped than the previous generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.