Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Why do posts like this get downranked? Are people so obsessed with worshipping Apple that they refuse to even have options and pick for themselves instead prefer being told what to like?

When did choice and freedom become a negative??

The post got voted down because it put up a false accusation insulting Mac users. You then further insulted people who voted it down because of the false accusation. This is like calling you a wife beater without any evidence, being (rightfully) voted down, and then complaining that anyone voting it down is obviously in support of wife beaters.

So: Choice and freedom haven't become a negative (although in the case of "choice", it is a well-known paradox that choice _can_ be a negative), but the false claim that Apple is in some nefarious plot against choice and freedom.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It will be announced with the long rumored iPhone nano, in an event called 'size does not matter' :-/

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
it doesn't seem to be the 'Apple' way - having few products. Honestly I just don't understand what would be the point, we have iPod, iPad, iPhone. Something in the middle between iPod and iPad just doesn't make any sense to me. But I might be wrong

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I doubt it comes in at $249. I could see the lineup by year's end being.

iPod Touch

iPod Touch 8GB - 179
iPod Touch 32GB - 249
iPod Touch 64GB - 349

iPad Mini

iPad Mini 8GB - $299
iPad Mini 16GB -$349

iPad 2

iPad 2 8GB - $399

iPad 3

iPad 3 32GB - $599
iPad 3 64GB - $699

First off, this thread is hilarious. It's just an iPad for crying out loud!

I like the above models and pricing. An 8gb mini would go well with an 11" mba.:D

Fell free to down vote my response.;)

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ixodes said:
The naysayers must take that stance to bolster their need for negativity. You'd think they'd trust that Apple knows what they're doing.

I for one will buy a minimum of two of the smaller iPads, as an ideal more mobile companion to my full size models. The smaller size is just right for international flights where a more compact size is appropriate.

My opinion is once they've been shipped, suddenly they'll be praised as though Apples done the impossible. Funny the hypocrisy.

Why is a more compact iPad "just right for international flights"?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I used to say that too, until I actually researched it a bit. Apple don't really seem to care that much about how much money they make off content. They make software and deliver content, to support an eco-system that makes people buy their hardware. The "30% apple-tax" (that people are bashing without realizing that it isn't actually that high compared to other companies' gross margin) is mostly there to cover the costs of development, very little of Apple's income comes from content. That's what most people "aren't getting".

When Tim Cook was asked recently about Apple buying a movie studio or record company he basically said they have no interest and that they make their money off hardware not content. That's the opposite of Amazon.

Jognt

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
Netherlands

If anything, I'd expect a 5" tablet.

A 5" tablet can use the ipad3 artwork.

Since 5" is about 1/2 the size of the current iPad and the ipad3 artwork is double the current size, a 5" ipad3 using tablet will have the exact same interface dimensions as the current iPad.

Other than that, I don't see it (smaller ipad) happening because of the scaling issues it imposes.

Ventucky

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Ventucky
Beginning of the end

This is something Steve did not want to hit the streets per his past comments. This move, coupled with Tim's recent involvement with employee compensation issues, executive stock cash-outs, and clear over valuation of the company are a signal that we have officially started 'the beginning of the end of Apple.'

Once the 'amazing products that are in the pipeline' hit the streets over the next couple of years and they underwhelm the market, this bubble will burst and Apple will come back down to earth and begin the toil with the rest of the ho-hum tech companies and their ho-hum products. The iPad was it people. If they release this little beauty, they are admitting defeat to Android and are shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. :apple:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have to laugh when people say the Kindle Fire is successful because of its size. No it's successful because it's a Kindle and is priced at $199. There's no evidence that the Fire was/is eating into iPad sales, and since Amazon won't provide sales figures we can only guess how popular the Fire really is. If anything my guess would be that the Fire is hurting other Android tablet makers not Apple.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
while samsung churning out 7" tabs.

1024x768 pixel 7" or near to 8" will work wonders. let us wait and see.
Because not all of us have baby fingers :rolleyes:.

This will never happen unless Siri or some other mind-control techniques are used to navigate the screen (or some miraculous generation of a side-line iOS).

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Sounds to me like DigiTimes typical shtick of posting outlandish link bait before big Apple announcements.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I for one will buy a minimum of two of the smaller iPads, as an ideal more mobile companion to my full size models. The smaller size is just right for international flights where a more compact size is appropriate.

If you opted to buy a ticket instead of hiding inside the wheel well this wouldn't be a problem for you. :D

Seriously -- if the current iPad is too big for you on your Int'l flights you need to find a new airline not a smaller iPad.

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
Because not all of us have baby fingers :rolleyes:.

This will never happen unless Siri or some other mind-control techniques are used to navigate the screen (or some miraculous generation of a side-line iOS).
Hmmm... it's bigger than an IP man, I can get around one of those and my wedding band is size 18. This is perfect for things... no need to zoom in and out as much as an IP.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Why do posts like this get downranked? Are people so obsessed with worshipping Apple that they refuse to even have options and pick for themselves instead prefer being told what to like?

When did choice and freedom become a negative??

I know the word 'choice' never sat well with Steve Jobs, but I don't understand why Apple fanboys have to imitate him to such lengths. Its as if pointing out flaws in Apple is forbidden among the rabid apple zealots. God forbid that people were allowed to think for themselves.... no, that sounds like something Apple would have said in their 1984 ad against IBM... oh wait a minute, how ironic!

They are down ranked because of the implication that we don't have choice. When a person chooses to buy a tablet, they have the choice of windows tablets, iPad, or assorted android tabs. No one is forced to buy an iPad, the iPad was a choice.

I also choose to have freedom from the annoyances of fragmentation.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Rumors like this happen because it's not out of the scope of reality for Apple to offer smaller sizes and smaller capacity versions just as they did with the iPod and iPhone.

I would agree with others that suggest a smaller version may more likely be an iPod XL than a smaller iPad given what Steve said about the smaller form factor. He never said that the iPod touch was the perfect size...

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

DigiTimes, which has several times in past addressed rumors of a smaller 7.85-inch iPad, has published a new report today claiming that Apple's manufacturing partners have been delivering samples of the device to Apple ahead of mass production that would start in the third quarter of this year at the earliest.The report suggests that Apple will price the smaller iPad in the range of $249-$299, with a rumored 8 GB iPad 2 occupying a price point at $349-$399. The report also claims that Apple could continue offering the 16 GB iPad 2 at $449 to fill out a low-end grouping below the flagship iPad 3 lineup.

We previously mocked up what a 7.85-inch iPad would look like, creating print-suitable documents to allow readers to test out the size for themselves either on paper or displayed on a current 9.7-inch iPad. With the device rumored to carry the same 1024x768 resolution of the iPad 2 but at a smaller physical size, some user interface elements would become rather small, but primary elements such as icons and the keyboard seem very usable at the smaller size.

Article Link: Production of 7.85-Inch iPad Rumored for 3Q 2012 at the Earliest

My wife says she preferes the smallers size.... oh wait. Sorry posted on the wrong topic.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
They are down ranked because of the implication that we don't have choice. When a person chooses to buy a tablet, they have the choice of windows tablets, iPad, or assorted android tabs. No one is forced to buy an iPad, the iPad was a choice.

I also choose to have freedom from the annoyances of fragmentation.

More likely downranked because of this:

But most people buy Apple products because they don't want either of those.

It's just an annoying generalisation. Most people buy apple products because they like them.

DJ Dilbert

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Originally posted by nuckinfutz:
Multiple sources have reported the testing of a smaller iPad.
--------------------------------

Multiple sources were quoted that the iPad 3 was going to be released before the end of 2011.

Besides smaller capacity and a smaller screen isnt going to catch on with Cook. His vision is too close to Steve Jobs'. Remember that vision was anything smaller wasnt acceptable.

iPad mini = ain't gonna happen

DJ Dilbert

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

foodog said:
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

DigiTimes, which has several times in past addressed rumors of a smaller 7.85-inch iPad, has published a new report today claiming that Apple's manufacturing partners have been delivering samples of the device to Apple ahead of mass production that would start in the third quarter of this year at the earliest.The report suggests that Apple will price the smaller iPad in the range of $249-$299, with a rumored 8 GB iPad 2 occupying a price point at $349-$399. The report also claims that Apple could continue offering the 16 GB iPad 2 at $449 to fill out a low-end grouping below the flagship iPad 3 lineup.

We previously mocked up what a 7.85-inch iPad would look like, creating print-suitable documents to allow readers to test out the size for themselves either on paper or displayed on a current 9.7-inch iPad. With the device rumored to carry the same 1024x768 resolution of the iPad 2 but at a smaller physical size, some user interface elements would become rather small, but primary elements such as icons and the keyboard seem very usable at the smaller size.

Article Link: Production of 7.85-Inch iPad Rumored for 3Q 2012 at the Earliest

My wife says she preferes the smallers size.... oh wait. Sorry posted on the wrong topic.

Zing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.