Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Ok so they are opening a new store inside the loop where it is a congested area already with very limited parking, if any at times. Ok...

+1

This location is a parking disaster waiting to happen. One of the most congested traffic/shopping areas in Houston. And just a hop and skip from the Galeria with it's existing Apple store.

On the plus side, there is a great little cupcake shop right next door so people waiting in the lines won't go hungery. Although at $5 a cupcake they might go broke before the doors open :D

FWIW
DLM

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
They should stick with the 17th opening date. It's a Saturday and it's St. Patrick's Day - they could block out the windows with green shades and we can have another story about how "stunning" the storefront is. ;)

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Who really actually thinks the 'iPad 3' is this big product Apple plans on introducing at the event on March 7th?

For all we know, it could be an iSlate tabletop computer...Apple has not confirmed an iPad 3 even exists, and if such a thing is in development, it could be called like the 'iPad 2s' or 'iPad X HD' and released sometime in the fall when Retina displays are more available.

I think everybody prematurely has their hopes up of an 'iPad 3' product actually being introduced next week, and they will be sad when it doesn't happen.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
Being outside of a retail mall is a good thing since you usually don't have to pay a % of sales to the malls management company .

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It better come out on the 16th...I go on vacation the 18th.

The 16th definitely seems like the day...about 1.5 weeks after the announcement and it's the perfect work up of hysteria time.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"Pre-orders were not available for the iPad 2, leaving those looking to get their hands on the device as soon as possible to line up for the limited launch stock."

I didn't get my iPad 2 until months later. Did they really not sell preorders online a few days before, with launch day delivery? It hit online the same day it did in stores? Hmm, this complicates my plans a bit...

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
hmm.. that works for me.. only if BestBuy have stock.. in the small town USA I will be in.. before I fly out the next day

<sigh>

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Right around the corner -- problem is, zero parking.

... and, no, you can't pee in my house during the next iPhone launch.
no.gif

yojoewaddayakno

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2012
A brand new store with a brand new staff, and Apple wants to dump a new product release on them the first day?

Glad I don't work for Apple.

Do you really think apple would put newbies into a brand new store and throw a launch at them? absolutely not!
they grabbed employees from the surround 5 apple stores (who've already been trained and done multiple launches) and used them as a foundation for the new store's employment.

sincerely-
former apple epmloyee 3years.

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Darth.Titan said:
A brand new store with a brand new staff, and Apple wants to dump a new product release on them the first day?

Glad I don't work for Apple.

I'd feel sorry for those employees. Get a taste of launch day chaos on the very first day.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Bigger news story in Houston…not only a Day 1 Grand Opening but an iPad3 release. That line will be huge and very much talked about. What a better way to show off a new store with a big line than to show off a new store with a massive line of Appletons.

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
This is a hilarious story.

Yes... Apple is waiting for ONE store. In Houston. Yeah. Hold on world, investors, Wall Street, employees, Chinese manufacturers: we have to wait for someone to install wood floors in Houston.

You obviously have the cart leading the horse. Apple would be setting the store opening date to coincide with the iPad launch. Personally I would also look towards SXSW as an indicator of when availability will be.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Yes, because Steve Job's dying wish was to ensure iPad 3 launch co-coincided with the Highland Village retail store opening.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Hah! This would be pretty much my perfect possibility for camping out for the iPad. March 16th is spring break for us teachers, so I'd be able to camp out to replace my (now sold) iPad 2! Hoping for a March 16th release now! :D ;)

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
i want to wait in line for the iPad, but not on the 16th. That's March Madness Day 2 baby. No way will I wait for an iPad during basketball. Last year it was a Friday evening, but not during March Madness I don't think.

sebast1anc

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2007
Looks like this Apple store is not very connected to the architectural pattern of neighbor buildings. I like when modern buildings "talk" with historic ones.

That entire strip of buildings is brand new. Nothing historic about them.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
So true.

Houston isn't exactly a hub of innovation.

It is a hub for jobs though, a lot of people are moving here from California and New York.

+1

This location is a parking disaster waiting to happen.

Highland Village already is a parking disaster, it's way too popular for the few spots available. If I ever go there, I park in the neighborhood and walk, but the place kind of attracts the Baby Boomer crowd and not people my age. This store will be cool but I'll probably go once, just to look, because going to this shopping center is kind of a pain, and as mentioned, it's a 2-minute drive from the Apple store in the Galleria.

I would love to see a smaller Apple store in Rice Village.

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
As an architecture student I find the apple store extremely well designed

Maybe, but if you look in that photo at the buildings next to the Apple store, it seems to me that the architecture is completely inconsistent, especially if those other stores are actually old buildings and not faux re-creations of old buildings.

This Apple store, which looks to be a copy of Apple's NYC Lincoln Center store, is quite beautiful (although intolerably noisy and probably very energy-inefficient, due to the glass and very high ceilings), but I don't think it works adjacent to buildings potentially built before 1930.

Edit: Never mind....someone else posted that those buildings are new buildings with "faux" architecture. In that case, it doesn't matter what Apple builds.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
This Apple store, which looks to be a copy of Apple's NYC Lincoln Center store, is quite beautiful (although intolerably noisy and probably very energy-inefficient, due to the glass and very high ceilings),

Maybe they are going to rent out greenhouse space?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.